Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love to cook, and I love to eat. It shows with my rather large mass and girth. Now, I'm just putting this into the off topic lounge because maybe we can get a recipe thread going. Hell, it may even be a good idea for a sticky because, let's face it -- we may all learn something. So here's a recipe that can be good for those afternoon football parties or end of summer cookouts:

Steve's take on Beer Can Chicken:
(They make little wire beer can stands. They're only a few bucks and totally worth it)

1 chicken, whole.

1 can of beer. (12 or 16 oz, depending on the size of your chicken-- Lagers and pilsners work best)

1 whole sweet onion

2 tbsp butter

1 hot pepper

4 large cloves garlic

2 tsp rosemary

2 tsp sage

1 tbsp salt

2 tsp pepper

2 tsp paprika

Drink or dump about 1/3 of the beer and remove the lid of the can with a can opener

Heat grill to low-medium or oven to 350

Clean the chicken and remove the neck

Crush or muddle rosemary and crush 2 cloves of garlic. Add other spices and herbs to make a rub

Carefully rub butter between chicken skin and meat, then rub about 3/4 of spice mixture in

Throw remaining spice mixture in the beer with the remainder of the garlic, crushed, and the hot pepper, halved or sliced

Place beer can on baking sheet or in a wide pan -- in the stand if you have it

Cut top and bottom off onion and place on top of the beer can

Slide chicken over the can and place on grill or in oven for about 1.5-2 hours (until internal temperature is 160F)

Let stand a few minutes, put the chicken on a plate, cut it up and enjoy.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
7,738 Posts
Our family favorite...

Creamy Banana Pudding

Ingredients

1 (14 oz.) can Eagle Brand® Sweetened Condensed Milk
1 1/2 cups cold water
1 (4-serving size) package instant vanilla pudding mix
2 cups (1 pint) heavy cream, whipped
36 vanilla wafers
3 medium bananas, sliced and dipped in lemon juice

Instructions

Whisk sweetened condensed milk and water in large bowl. Add pudding mix. Whisk 2 minutes or until well blended. Chill 5 minutes. Fold in whipped cream.
SPOON 1 cup pudding mixture into 2 1/2-quart glass serving bowl. Top with one-third each of the vanilla wafers, bananas and remaining pudding.
Repeat layering twice, ending with pudding mixture.
CHILL thoroughly. Garnish as desired.
For individual pudding desserts, prepare mixture and layer in dessert dishes.

·
Premium Member
4,959 Posts
Kofta Kebabs...........these are delicious from the oven or even better off a BBQ.

The richly-spiced flavors aren't the burn-your-mouth kind, but are a delicious change from the usual. I don't bother to make them "kebabs," but you can put them on skewers if you want. They can be made with any kind of ground meat, including lamb. I've done straight beef or a 50/50 mix of beef and pork.

Ingredients:

1 lb ground meat
1 Tablespoon ground coriander seed
1 teaspoon ground cumin seed
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
pinch of cayenne or other hot pepper
2 cloves minced garlic or 1 teaspoon garlic powder
3 Tablespoons finely minced onion or 2 teaspoons onion powder
3 Tablespoons chopped parsley
Salt (about 1 and 1/2 teaspoons works well)

Preparation:

It's easiest to mix all the ingredients together, which is what I used to do. But I have found that the flavors come out and blend together better if I warm the spices in about a tablespoon of olive oil, just until it sizzles.

Traditionally, these are molded into sort of long meatballs (about 3 to 4 inches long and 1 1/2 inches in diameter) and put on skewers to grill. I just skip the skewers.

Serve with Salad, Rice, Couscous, whatever takes your fancy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts