Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am having hesitation when stepping on gas from start or when in traffic slow rolling and then acceleration at slow speed. Almost feels like its going to stall. At higher speeds 40mph etc it accelerates find. I checked with KIA and there are no open corrective actions according to KIA in Framingham MA.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
I've had that "problem", if you want to call it that. But I've figured out, it's not the car, it's me. By being uncertain on the gas pedal, I can confuse the ECC and it won't quite know what to do.
The problem is that we almighty Humans, don't like to admit our own failings.
The Soul is very sensitive to the pressure we put on the Gas Pedal. It must be firm and decisive, not intermittent or fluttering. When my own car does what you describe, I just know it was me, being indecisive the way I press the Gas Pedal. So when I'm starting off, I give the ol' Go Pedal a nice firm STAB.

I wish I could demonstrate to you what I mean, but alas, there's just too many miles between us.
Good Luck,
FLH :cool:
PS: OH, by the way, when you logged in you didn't fill out your Location or Car Specs.
Knowing those things, makes responding to you, intelligently, a lot easier.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've had that "problem", if you want to call it that. But I've figured out, it's not the car, it's me. By being uncertain on the gas pedal, I can confuse the ECC and it won't quite know what to do.
The problem is that we almighty Humans, don't like to admit our own failings.
The Soul is very sensitive to the pressure we put on the Gas Pedal. It must be firm and decisive, not intermittent or fluttering. When my own car does what you describe, I just know it was me, being indecisive the way I press the Gas Pedal. So when I'm starting off, I give the ol' Go Pedal a nice firm STAB.

I wish I could demonstrate to you what I mean, but alas, there's just too many miles between us.
Good Luck,
FLH :cool:
PS: OH, by the way, when you logged in you didn't fill out your Location or Car Specs.
Knowing those things, makes responding to you, intelligently, a lot easier.
Thanks so much for the reply. I have experimented with giving it more gas/pressing harder. I have had mixed results with this and tend to think my problem is something else. I was in heavy traffic in and it actually felt like it was going to stall out. If I had given it more gas I would slam into the car in front of me or cause the person behind me to rear end me. I wonder if the issue/non issue you have is not whats going on with my vehicle - frankly what you describe sound like a design flaw that can be overcome by pressing harder on the pedal. I will update my profile but the Soul is a GTline 2020 with every possible option.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
I had one of those GTLine 2020 Souls, with all the 'Nannies' and I took it back and traded it in on an LX.

By now, I hope that you understand, that your car has NO Carburetor, and that your Gas Pedal has NO mechanical connection to anything but a variable resistor, that tells the ECC how hard you're pressing on the pedal.
If that variable resistor is faulty or the cable to it is not properly seated, you could get all sorts of weird things happening.

Unless you're an Electrical Tech, you should take your car back to the dealer, where they have the equipment to check your car's throttle system, for problems.
From my own experience, I know that's not always the solution to a problem.
But give them a chance, before going to a higher authority.

Good Luck,
:cool:

·
Registered
320 Posts
Is the GT Line the Turbo? If so, you have the 7 speed dual clutch transmission and they can be a little finicky in stop and go traffic. But Kia also has had some issues with them too. So you might want to have a dealer take another look if you think something is really wrong.

Take a look at this video. It has some good tips on what to do and not to do with a DCT

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have the GT Line Turbo and agree with Zcar. It requires a firm, decisive, and aggressive press of the accelerator or a smooth slow press…otherwise it does feel like it’s stumbling or missing, especially when driven cold, and most especially when cold and with oil nearing the end of its lifespan

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is the GT Line the Turbo? If so, you have the 7 speed dual clutch transmission and they can be a little finicky in stop and go traffic. But Kia also has had some issues with them too. So you might want to have a dealer take another look if you think something is really wrong.

Take a look at this video. It has some good tips on what to do and not to do with a DCT
Thanks that is helpful

1 - 7 of 7 Posts