Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Just so you guys know the actual answer to why these cars take a long time to warm up. The same engine was used in the Forte for a couple of years and they also take a long time to warm up. They have an electric thermostat and even though I can't prove it I swear that they always allow some coolant by even in it's "closed" state. I base this on having serviced these cars and when you need to burp the coolant after filling it you put it in filling mode with the scanner which will electrically open the thermostat. What I have noticed is that I fill them with coolant, start the car up, put it in fill mode which opens the thermostat and you would expect the coolant to get sucked in instantly to fill the rest of the system (this is on bone dry new motors when they are installed) but yet it doesn't so it seems like it was partially open the whole time. On other cars you can definitely tell when the thermostat opens as you get big bubbles and have to add coolant.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Just so you guys know the actual answer to why these cars take a long time to warm up. The same engine was used in the Forte for a couple of years and they also take a long time to warm up. They have an electric thermostat and even though I can't prove it I swear that they always allow some coolant by even in it's "closed" state. .......
The Soul does require a few klicks before warming up. The heated seats warm up rather quickly though, which can be handy at -20C.

I noticed when flushing and replacing the Soul radiator fluid recently that the system appears to circulate new coolant quickly with minimal air. The heater would start to work right away whereas the other vehicle required lots of patient burping with the vehicle parked facing uphill to get the cooling fluid to move through the heater.

Reactions: jdmartin

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Just so you guys know the actual answer to why these cars take a long time to warm up. The same engine was used in the Forte for a couple of years and they also take a long time to warm up. They have an electric thermostat and even though I can't prove it I swear that they always allow some coolant by even in it's "closed" state. I base this on having serviced these cars and when you need to burp the coolant after filling it you put it in filling mode with the scanner which will electrically open the thermostat. What I have noticed is that I fill them with coolant, start the car up, put it in fill mode which opens the thermostat and you would expect the coolant to get sucked in instantly to fill the rest of the system (this is on bone dry new motors when they are installed) but yet it doesn't so it seems like it was partially open the whole time. On other cars you can definitely tell when the thermostat opens as you get big bubbles and have to add coolant.
This is more or less what I always suspected (though I didn't know about the electric thermostat). There's really only 3 good reasons for a car to take longer than "normal" to warm up:

1. The coolant circulation system is oversized for the vehicle - larger water pump, more radiator chambers, etc;
2. The coolant is exposed to a large amount of air circulation - constant running fan, large space around the radiator, etc;
3. The coolant is not isolated to the engine block until the block reaches a certain temperature.

I've never really looked into 1 & 2 - though there is a lot of open space in the engine bay compared to most small cars - so I always figured there was a constant coolant flow through the entire system. The slow warm up doesn't really bother me - I've become used to it - but I suspect some people who have very short driving from start-up end up having more deposits than people like me with 45 minute open interstate runs because of the slow warm-up.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I'm curious where did you find aftermarket heated seat kits? And how hard were they to install?
I didn't install any but you can find them everywhere on Ebay for about 20-25 bucks. They're generic; a seat heater is really nothing more than an electric heating pad you stick in your upholstery. Nothing complicated about them.

·
Registered
537 Posts
A TSB just came out that may be somewhat relevant to this. It is for p2181 Thermostat continuous memory error and it is a procedure for discharging abnormal residual coolant in the electric thermostat. You can contact your dealer to see if your car is on the affected list.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts