Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Since it is not an electrical item, my guess is that "No", it would not show up on a "code reader". There may be parameters the thermostat would affect that could possibly be measured, but I can't think of a specific test for a thermostat without removing it and observing its behavior in water at various temps.
I checked the 2013 SM and that's all it said. Check codes, if thermostat is suspect pull it and give it a bath. Don't have a 2020 SM. I know on my Saturn the cooling system was designed to route as much heat to the cabin in preference to the engine. human first, machine second. On my Sportage it was the opposite, no coolant flow for the heater core until the thermostat opened. A block heater solved that one.
Screenshot_20200117-163438.png

·
Registered
528 Posts
The temp gauge comes up to the first mark, about 1/8 of the gauge and stays there for quite a while putting out little heat even though the air flow is good. Then it starts climbing again to almost half the gauge and puts out great heat.
I'm an 11+ m/t 2.0l. I would classify mine as all or nothing. I get no heat to speak of from a cold start. needle moves up some from the key off position and holds. then all of a sudden needle starts climbing at a consistent rate until it's at full temp. heat shows up like a silent airplane takeoff. However, I don't think mine takes as long as yours.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Also I'm not talking terrible cold 20 to 30 degrees. I'm just wondering what it's going to be like if it goes down to -20.
If you're interested, I know prior years had an easy to install block heater. Coat it with temperature grease and pop it in place. Not sure if they changed the design for 2020. I haven't upgraded my molten yet but it's on the list. I'll probably buy the factory replica this time.
Block-Heater_L.jpg

I've had universal ones that splice directly into the coolant hoses on every vehicle for the last 15+ years.
images.jpg

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,164 Posts
owned three Kia's and no problem with heat, seems to get better each time. At -20 to -25C my 2016 usually gets to full operating temperature in about 4-5 km at speeds varying from 50-80 km. I only idle it for maybe 30 seconds or so, switch on the heated steering wheel and seats, leave the auto climate control off till it get to full operating temperature.

·
Registered
2017 Base/auto, Shadow Black (Betsy)
890 Posts
If you're interested, I know prior years had an easy to install block heater. Coat it with temperature grease and pop it in place. Not sure if they changed the design for 2020. I haven't upgraded my molten yet but it's on the list. I'll probably buy the factory replica this time. View attachment 133215
I've had universal ones that splice directly into the coolant hoses on every vehicle for the last 15+ years. View attachment 133216
Never used a block heater manfreity. How does it effect the cabin warm up time?

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
My 2¢...
My wife's commute is one mile door-to-door. She spends less than 30 seconds idling before driving (not garage-kept) and says that our 2014 is blowing warm air at about 1/4 of a mile when it's 20°-30°F outside. 8-10 miles sounds wrong to me. Have you personally checked your antifreeze level? Is it full?
I really find this hard to believe. We actually shut down the fan first 5-10 mins since it blows ice cold air, and our temps were in 30-40s much of this winter.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Never used a block heater manfreity. How does it effect the cabin warm up time?
It's like starting the car in July, except actually wanting the warmth. It's not instant, but when the coolant is kept at 90 deg F that goes a long way.
I had a 750w on my Sportage. Most mornings I ran it an hour or two via planned timer. The winters it was garage kept I never went past two hours. The times it was outdoors with single digit temps I would push it up to four. Very rarely we saw sub-zero, and then I'd just leave it on.
I will say I did my Saturn wanting to preserve the engine, it had over 225k miles by the time I sold it. My Sportage had electrical issues that only manifested below 50 deg and the heater "solved" them. I can plug in at work too, several co-workers have diesel pickups and no one cares I join in.

·
Registered
2017 Base/auto, Shadow Black (Betsy)
890 Posts
It's like starting the car in July, except actually wanting the warmth. It's not instant, but when the coolant is kept at 90 deg F that goes a long way.
I had a 750w on my Sportage. Most mornings I ran it an hour or two via planned timer. The winters it was garage kept I never went past two hours. The times it was outdoors with single digit temps I would push it up to four. Very rarely we saw sub-zero, and then I'd just leave it on.
Thanks! Sounds like a good cold weather warm up solution.
Good to know if the ice ever lingers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
High 20s here in Washington state. on my '11 1.6 base if I turn the fan to 4 (max fan speed) the car will actually cool down from operating temp to 1/8 of the temp gauge while parked and idling. It takes about 2 or 3 miles on fan speed 2/3 for it to get to full heat at 1/4 temp gauge; I then am able to use fan speed 4 in order to get full heat output. Once I get into traffic or sit at a long light I have to turn down to fan speed 2 or 3 otherwise the car will cool down too much to output heat.

·
Registered
✴️BING✴️ Toast's ready, pass the butter!
1,091 Posts
I really find this hard to believe. We actually shut down the fan first 5-10 mins since it blows ice cold air, and our temps were in 30-40s much of this winter.

You don't believe me? LOL You must have access to my car then??? ?
My wife uses the defroster when driving that short distance, otherwise the windows will fog, and....the cold air blows directly on you. ?

Brilliant deduction you made there Sherlock. (I don't do that therefore it can't happen) ?

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
You don't believe me? LOL You must have access to my car then??? ?
My wife uses the defroster when driving that short distance, otherwise the windows will fog, and....the cold air blows directly on you. ?

Brilliant deduction you made there Sherlock. (I don't do that therefore it can't happen) ?
Yes, your car must be special.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I checked the 2013 SM and that's all it said. Check codes, if thermostat is suspect pull it and give it a bath. Don't have a 2020 SM. I know on my Saturn the cooling system was designed to route as much heat to the cabin in preference to the engine. human first, machine second. On my Sportage it was the opposite, no coolant flow for the heater core until the thermostat opened. A block heater solved that one. View attachment 133214
Good information Thank you

·
Registered
9 Posts
I do not like a shop that only relies on OBD to find a problem. Sounds like a lazy excuse to me.
Sadly a very high percentage of shops don't employ what we would call mechanics, what is in most shops now are what I call parts changers, keep replacing parts until they find out what's the problem. There is very little diagnosing going on these days and if the on board computer doesn't tell them what is wrong then the parts changing begins. Rant over

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Having owned 2 of these things for the last almost 8 years, my thoughts:

1. The Soul takes longer to warm up than most any other vehicle I have ever owned.

2. I leave the heat off until I'm about 3 miles down the road, then it starts blowing lukewarm to warm. And this is starting from being parked in a 50 degree garage, regardless of outside temperatures. When I leave the car outside in the winter, I don't start feeling any reasonable heat until I'm on the interstate maybe 5-7 miles down the road.

3. I suspect the cooling system in this car is top notch and somewhat overdesigned for the car. It's not that difficult to cool down a small 4 cylinder engine with modern cooling systems and if you don't make provisions for heating the cabin separately (as I suspect the Soul doesn't) while you are waiting for the thermostat to open you are SOL.

4. Installing heated seats, even aftermarket, would be far more cost effective than messing with anything else; you can install an aftermarket kit for 25 bucks. I have them (heated seats) in my truck and they make a massive difference in how cold you feel and heat virtually instantly. In fact the ones in my truck will literally burn your ass if you leave them on high for too long.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just got this 2 weeks ago 2020 Soul LX. It will not heat up enough to throw any decent heat until it has been driven 8 to 10 miles. Is this normal? Dealer says it is. I don't believe them. At 20 degrees F it should warm up in 3 to 4 miles. What is it going to do when it is -20? Never in 50 years had a car take this long to heat up. I thought the idea was to have the car heat up quickly for fuel efficiency. I'd like to hear other opinions on this matter. It only has 400 miles on it.
I just brought a 2021 Kia Soul and it takes a very long time to warm up so maybe this is common.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm curious where did you find aftermarket heated seat kits? And how hard were they to install?

Having owned 2 of these things for the last almost 8 years, my thoughts:

1. The Soul takes longer to warm up than most any other vehicle I have ever owned.

2. I leave the heat off until I'm about 3 miles down the road, then it starts blowing lukewarm to warm. And this is starting from being parked in a 50 degree garage, regardless of outside temperatures. When I leave the car outside in the winter, I don't start feeling any reasonable heat until I'm on the interstate maybe 5-7 miles down the road.

3. I suspect the cooling system in this car is top notch and somewhat overdesigned for the car. It's not that difficult to cool down a small 4 cylinder engine with modern cooling systems and if you don't make provisions for heating the cabin separately (as I suspect the Soul doesn't) while you are waiting for the thermostat to open you are SOL.

4. Installing heated seats, even aftermarket, would be far more cost effective than messing with anything else; you can install an aftermarket kit for 25 bucks. I have them (heated seats) in my truck and they make a massive difference in how cold you feel and heat virtually instantly. In fact the ones in my truck will literally burn your ass if you leave them on high for too long.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts