Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got this 2 weeks ago 2020 Soul LX. It will not heat up enough to throw any decent heat until it has been driven 8 to 10 miles. Is this normal? Dealer says it is. I don't believe them. At 20 degrees F it should warm up in 3 to 4 miles. What is it going to do when it is -20? Never in 50 years had a car take this long to heat up. I thought the idea was to have the car heat up quickly for fuel efficiency. I'd like to hear other opinions on this matter. It only has 400 miles on it.

·
Registered
2017 Base/auto, Shadow Black (Betsy)
890 Posts
Welcome to the forum Philpot,
Only immediate suggestion I have, is to check the cabin air flow filter for obstruction.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum Philpot,
Only immediate suggestion I have, is to check the cabin air flow filter for obstruction.
The temp gauge comes up to the first mark, about 1/8 of the gauge and stays there for quite a while putting out little heat even though the air flow is good. Then it starts climbing again to almost half the gauge and puts out great heat.

·
Registered
890 Posts
The thermostat possibly not closed during warm up (leak by).

Reactions: pnoman

·
Registered
890 Posts
That is what I think but dealer won't listen because they say nothing shows on the diagnostics.
I'm not sure it would show.

Reactions: manfreity

·
Registered
615 Posts
We had a '13 Soul base (1.6) and we had that problem the first winter. Dealer swapped out the thermostat and it was fine after that. That and a burned out light bulb by the license plate were the only 2 things that "broke" on the car in 6 years and 95K miles.

We now live in a house with a semi-heated garage, so I can't verify how our new '20 LX does in cold starts. It does put out lots of heat while driving, even in the teens F.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We had a '13 Soul base (1.6) and we had that problem the first winter. Dealer swapped out the thermostat and it was fine after that. That and a burned out light bulb by the license plate were the only 2 things that "broke" on the car in 6 years and 95K miles.

We now live in a house with a semi-heated garage, so I can't verify how our new '20 LX does in cold starts. It does put out lots of heat while driving, even in the teens F.
Did it show up on the diagnostics?

·
Registered
615 Posts
Did it show up on the diagnostics?
Since it is not an electrical item, my guess is that "No", it would not show up on a "code reader". There may be parameters the thermostat would affect that could possibly be measured, but I can't think of a specific test for a thermostat without removing it and observing its behavior in water at various temps. Easier just to replace, and it's cheap (or free under warranty).

This is one of those "95% of the time it's this" cases and you take your chances. The odds are in your favor.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Since it is not an electrical item, my guess is that "No", it would not show up on a "code reader". There may be parameters the thermostat would affect that could possibly be measured, but I can't think of a specific test for a thermostat without removing it and observing its behavior in water at various temps. Easier just to replace, and it's cheap (or free under warranty).

This is one of those "95% of the time it's this" cases and you take your chances. The odds are in your favor.
Sadly the dealer don't feel the same way.
I have filed a complaint with Kia so we will see where things go from here. I even offered to install the thermostat myself if they would give it to me. Not like it is a half day job.

·
Registered
890 Posts

I do not like a shop that only relies on OBD to find a problem. Sounds like a lazy excuse to me.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,474 Posts
Hey Philpot, honestly at sub freezing temps and the engine not fully warmed up, I don't think it's unreasonable to be getting just milk toast heat for 8-10 minutes.

Once the temp needle hits full temp, do you notice a more robust amount of heat?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey Philpot, honestly at sub freezing temps and the engine not fully warmed up, I don't think it's unreasonable to be getting just milk toast heat for 8-10 minutes.

Once the temp needle hits full temp, do you notice a more robust amount of heat?
Yes but it takes a long time for it to go from barely warm at 1/8 gauge to really good heat at nearly half gauge. It seems to stop at 1/8 for quite some time before starting to move up to the half mark. All I know is my 2015 Sonic would blow hot air in 1/3 the time it takes this and the engine was 1.8 liter.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes but it takes a long time for it to go from barely warm at 1/8 gauge to really good heat at nearly half gauge. It seems to stop at 1/8 for quite some time before starting to move up to the half mark. All I know is my 2015 Sonic would blow hot air in 1/3 the time it takes this and the engine was 1.8 liter.
Also
i'm not talking terrible cold 20 to 30 degrees. I'm just wondering what it's going to be like if it goes down to -20.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Also
i'm not talking terrible cold 20 to 30 degrees. I'm just wondering what it's going to be like if it goes down to -20.
Dress for it. wait for the engine to warm & wear gloves.
Personally, I wouldn't go out in it, till I ran out of food.

Reactions: XxHaimBondxX

·
Registered
✴️BING✴️ Toast's ready, pass the butter!
1,091 Posts
My 2¢...
My wife's commute is one mile door-to-door. She spends less than 30 seconds idling before driving (not garage-kept) and says that our 2014 is blowing warm air at about 1/4 of a mile when it's 20°-30°F outside. 8-10 miles sounds wrong to me. Have you personally checked your antifreeze level? Is it full?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts