Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2012 Soul (Auto) has got stuck in gear a few times. It tends to happen in 3rd or 4th (that I've noticed so far). I'll be driving along accelerating normally on a flat road, the RPM's continue to climb and climb before I know it I'll be at 4,000 RPM then I'll manually force the car into 5th. It'll then quickly snap into 6th and drive normally. This has happened only a few times. The car has 55,000 miles on it and has been very well looked after. I've also driven a 2013 RIO (Auto, approx 65k on it had it's 60k service) that's done the exact same thing? It'll get "stuck" in gear and the only way to get it unstuck is to put it into manual mode and force it into the next gear.

Another thing I've noticed as my car has aged is if I'm accelerating normally (I don't drive this like I stole it) then take my foot off the gas to slow I'll hear a clunk as the car decelerates. This is of without using the brake to stop. I tend to coast towards stop signs, red lights if I'm far enough out.

Is there an update the dealer can apply or is the stuck in gear issue mechanical? If it's an update with my car out of warranty (owned since nearly new) is there normally a charge to update it.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Educate me on this,I've thought that you cannot change from the normal mode(auto trans shift)to
the manual mode while the vehicle is underway. The vehicle must come to a full stop before you can
change modes. At least thats the way it is with my Nissan.
I thought all vehicles with a trip-tronic type auto work this way.
Sort of like trying to shift gears on a manual WITHOUT using the clutch---ouch.
Please advise.
On an auto getting stuck in gear,I have experienced this before. The reason most times had to do
with hot weather--heat. Yes,you had to drive up the RPM's to force the shift. At the advice of
a ace mechanic,I bought an trans additive that lowers the temp of the fluid. This solved the problem.

In summary,maybe the changing from auto to manual while underway since you have owned the vehicle has
caused the problem?

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,156 Posts
South Soul - you can shift from the auto mode to Sport (manual) mode at any time - just try it, it works fine. It will show you which gear your in at the switch over in your gauge cluster.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Aidan said: "If it's an update with my car out of warranty (owned since nearly new) is there normally a charge to update it.

A 2012 (depending on when it was 1st purchased) with 55k miles should still be under warranty, even if not the original owner!

·
Registered
2012 Soul Plus. Automatic, 2.0 engine
353 Posts
Aidan said: "If it's an update with my car out of warranty (owned since nearly new) is there normally a charge to update it.

A 2012 (depending on when it was 1st purchased) with 55k miles should still be under warranty, even if not the original owner!
But don't waste any time getting it looked at. Transmission problems rarely fix themselves.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Hello Aidan80.
The ATM Fluid needs changing and flushing.
Read your handbooks on driving.
Look at the Sonnax website for the kia Torque Converter
You will see the Friction Ring .
All the Torques with this ring wear off the Carbon material when left in D or R and car is not being driven.
When the car is not being driven the fluid pressure is relatively low, carbon material is scoured of ring it then sludges up valves.

If you still get clean changes in sport mode the wear on the ring is not terminal.
a double change of SP3 type fluid using the first change as flush for 500-1k miles then draining that directly after a good run so sludge does not settle. Then refill.
I prefer Miller oil SP3 ATF it is very light in colour and very clear and you can tell if contaminated.
Because the System became Sealed no dip stick to check so drain out fluid is only means.

Jeff

·
Registered
301 Posts
Are you sure the road isn't slightly uphill and/or a strong headwind when the lower gear hangs on? Many recent automatics seem to unnecessarily hold rpm on relatively minor assent.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts