Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this micro motor home thread but it disappeared. I've used my 2010 SOul 2U as a micro motor home for two years/80,000 ks spending winters in the U.S. south .. excellent for touring and sleeping .. the rear seat is folded down permanently, and the front seat pushed forward for sleeping, with the front seat's back tilted forward, I fill the gap between front and rear seat with clothing bags then two pillows on top, and I have the storage compartment well cushioned. I put screens on the inside of my rear windows so bugs don't get in, and this makes great ventilation for sleeping, and I made my own aluminum rain drip shields for over the windows (for $20.) I stretch out in the Soul with room to spare, but am only 5/9". I'd LOVE to see a Kia Soul Camper/small van thing with super mpg.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,478 Posts
I take mine camping too. I did the same things you said moving the front seats forward & I turn the 3 headrests 180 degrees to support the pillows. It's nice being able to get in and out from the hatch too. This is a twin futon:

Soul with futon copy.jpg

·
Registered
70 Posts
I took an old Bronco II camping years ago. I had a roll of window screen left over from when I'd re-screened some windows on the house. I took that with me and taped it to the outside of the doors over the windows so I could roll them down and have the screen in place to keep bugs out. Y'all are making me want to load up my Soul and take it camping now. :goodpost

·
Registered
7,478 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
We still do some camping out and sleeping in our Honda Element. It's perfect for that. I think my husband might have trouble sleeping in the Soul though, it's smaller.

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
We still do some camping out and sleeping in our Honda Element. It's perfect for that. I think my husband might have trouble sleeping in the Soul though, it's smaller.
Kitty, you'll have to get the add on tent. It's crazy how roomy they are. I bet they come in Solar yellow!

Just remember, if the Souls a rockin.........

·
Registered
339 Posts
Reminds me of the guy who did that in a VW Beetle. (The real one)
He took the passenger seat out and put a tarp over it at night. Must have been tight quarters.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ah to be young again! What a wonderful idea. Reminds me of the wonderful year in the 1970s when my wife and I lived in a VW camper in Europe for a year. And yes, we are still together. Mosquitos were certainly a problem, which you seem to have solved, and an overnight temperature below freezing could be uncomfortable even in so small a space.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Reminds me of the guy who did that in a VW Beetle. (The real one)
He took the passenger seat out and put a tarp over it at night. Must have been tight quarters.
Yeah, I used to be into the air-cooled beetles. I went to a big VW show one year and a guy there had removed the passenger seat and built a small platform out of wood down the length of the passenger side. It had a small mattress on top of it and the platform itself had little drawers he'd built into it. He kept food in the drawers. Over behind the driver's seat he had a small upright cabinet he'd built that had drawers for his clothes and other stuff. I'm pretty sure he was basically living out of his Beetle. He'd really set it up pretty efficiently. Looked like it would be fun to live out of for a few days, but not long term like I think he was doing.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Yeah, I used to be into the air-cooled beetles. I went to a big VW show one year and a guy there had removed the passenger seat and built a small platform out of wood down the length of the passenger side. It had a small mattress on top of it and the platform itself had little drawers he'd built into it. He kept food in the drawers. Over behind the driver's seat he had a small upright cabinet he'd built that had drawers for his clothes and other stuff. I'm pretty sure he was basically living out of his Beetle. He'd really set it up pretty efficiently. Looked like it would be fun to live out of for a few days, but not long term like I think he was doing.
I once saw 2 people driving a Beetle with 2 Great Danes in the back seat, both with their heads hanging out the windows (one on either side). I can't begin to imagine how they got those dogs in that car!

I don't think I would live in my Soul, even if I was younger. If I wanted to live in a vehicle that wasn't an RV, I'd at least get a van. I had a custom van that had a couch that pulled out into a queen sized bed, with 2 huge, plush captain's chairs in the front, and that thing was like driving your couch. It was ridiculously comfortable, and only lacked a shower & toilet. We made lots of road trips in that thing!

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I've had three vehicles, over the years, that I was able to build a bed into, for some overnight camping, or low cost vacation trips.
My first one was a IH Scout, long wheelbase.
The next one was a Ford Utility (no Windows in back) van.
And my last one was a long wheelbase Chevy van.

I and a friend could get a good nights sleep in any of the three, but....
all were much larger than a Kia Soul. I doubt that I could get a good nights sleep in my Soul.

:cool:

·
Registered
204 Posts
I've had three vehicles, over the years, that I was able to build a bed into, for some overnight camping, or low cost vacation trips.
My first one was a IH Scout, long wheelbase.
The next one was a Ford Utility (no Windows in back) van.
And my last one was a long wheelbase Chevy van.

I and a friend could get a good nights sleep in any of the three, but....
all were much larger than a Kia Soul. I doubt that I could get a good nights sleep in my Soul.

:cool:
I'll second that.
Did a lot of tent camping in the past, several years ago moved up to throwing a couple folding cots in the back of my big ol' Econoline. No more sleeping on the ground or mats that really dont do much any how. No way no how am I gonna scrunch up in the back of my Soul, and I'm only 5'11" in thick socks, the seats really don't fold flat, you cant sit up, you cant move, now factore in more then 1 person, not even close. In the van I can sit up, stow a ton of gear under the cots and with them all the way to the rear there is plenty of room between the cots and front seats to change and have a table set up to eat or play games on.
Also like Shag I used some window screen around the windows (the ones that open). I cut them a few inches bigger then the window and hot glued magnetic strips around the edges to hold it around the window. I found a 1" x 100 foot roll of the flexible magnetic rubber like what some refrigerator magnets are made from.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts