Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the things I was impressed with was the 10 airbags and some of the other safety features. I was surprised when I found out the people in the back seat of the Kia died. But looks like she took a pretty hard hit. Just thought I'd share.

Your thoughts and experiences??

Date: June 24, 2015

Fatality Traffic Collision – SR-14 MP 19

On June 24, 2015 at approximately 12:02 p.m. a two vehicle fatality collision occurred on SR-14 east of Washougal in Clark County. A 2002 Toyota Tacoma pickup was westbound on SR-14 at approximately milepost 19. Traffic ahead of the Toyota was stopped behind a hay truck waiting to turn left on a side road off of the highway. The Toyota crossed the centerline and struck a 2015 Kia Soul head-on in the eastbound lanes.

Two rear occupants in the Kia died at the scene as a result of their injuries sustained in the crash. The driver of the Kia and a right front passenger were transported to Southwest Washington Medical Center and are currently in stable condition. The driver and only occupant of the Toyota was also transported to Southwest Washington Medical and is reportedly in stable collision.

The collision is being investigated by Trooper Brandon Kesler who will complete a more detailed collision memo as soon as all occupants are identified. Drugs or alcohol do not appear to a proximate cause in the collision. All occupants involved were buckled up. The roadway will be opening in the next 30 minutes. Next of kin notifications have not yet been made.

Attachments

·
Registered
546 Posts
Were they wearing seatbelts? Used to be that adults riding in the back seat didn't have to wear seatbelts. May still be that way, not sure. It was that way here in Nebraska anyway.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Terrible. Air bags "lessen" the likelihood of injury they do not prevent. Age of the passengers, physical condition, proximity of the impact, could all play part in the severity of their injuries. RIP.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
That's terrible. I know for myself, personally, I wouldn't want to be in the back seat of a Soul in an accident. Any small car, there's just not a lot of room in the back to give your body any travel ability whatsoever to disperse the kinetic energy of an accident; even with the airbags and seat belts I wouldn't be surprised if their heads slammed into the roof or headrests.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
^^I'm sorry, but people who are 91 years old shouldn't be driving unless they are getting certified on a very regular basis, like every 3 months. This guy probably forgot that there was traffic coming the other way.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,405 Posts
^^I'm sorry, but people who are 91 years old shouldn't be driving unless they are getting certified on a very regular basis, like every 3 months. This guy probably forgot that there was traffic coming the other way.
I agree jd. On a daily basis I see near misses by very old folks making any kind of "left turn" action.

And for all drivers, the chances of a collision are ramped up if you, or more likely someone else, is making a left turn in front of you.

Friends rib me about it, but I always say to look 3 times, both ways. It's amazing how the human brain works. If you really don't want a car to be there, quite often you won't see it because you really don't want to see it. Then boom.

Drive safely my friends.

Reactions: jdmartin

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,156 Posts
The Soul has six airbags not 10. Regardless of the manufacturer any person can be killed in an accident, all depends on the severity of it and the circumstances. Airbags are an aid in your survival not a cure. In most cases and according to IIHS testing the Soul is a top safety pick - but that does not guarantee that no one will ever be killed in one.

·
Registered
7,405 Posts
I was wondering if the outcome would have been the same for the back seat passengers in pretty much any car.

It seems there would need to be airbags that would deploy in front of back seat passengers to stop the forward throw of the head and neck & mitigate the recoil.

Are there cars with that type of back seat occupant protection?

The Soul in this accident appears to be Gen 2. This would have been the airbag deployment:

April2.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,959 Posts
Obviously here we don't know the type of injuries that were sustained by the rear seat passengers.

I used to be an Emergency Medical Technician and it is quite possible to have serious internal injuries caused by sudden deceleration without any major obvious external trauma. The front airbags would have cushioned impact to the driver and passenger, but in the rear, even if the passengers didn't hit the front seat backs, they would be stopped very abrubtly by the seat belts. Seat belts can hurt you big time in a rapid stop situation. A head-on will do exactly that. As well as the concentrated pressure on the body caused by the belt, all internal organs keep moving forward after the body itself stops.......then they all bounce back the other way. This can tear internal organs and cause life threatening injuries.
The brain litterally bounces around in the skull causing what are called coup and counter coup injuries. Brain contusions caused by impacting the skull. I've heard of a guy walking into an ER after a bad accident and then dropping dead. A post-mortem revealed a ruptured Aorta. Seatbelts only keep you in the car. Any passive or automatic restraint syatem can save you or kill you depending on a million different circumstances in a given collision.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
There is no way for us to know unless more info is reported, assuming the side airbags deployed I can only guess as someone else did, that their head hit the front seats. However especially if elderly an impact can cause internal bleeding/injuries leading to death just from the force of the seat belt, though not a common thing. Years ago the front passengers would have been dead or severely injured even with the belts and airbags, the crush zone has had a tremendous effect on lessening injuries.

·
Premium Member
4,959 Posts
It's not speed that kills, but stopping too quickly.

·
Registered
7,405 Posts
So true DM. People ask why the NTHSA doesn't crash test cars at speeds higher than 35 mph. It's because after that you're pretty much on your own. Like MT-ED said, it's the sudden stop that's fatal & car makers can't do much about that.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
According to the article the people in the back seat were young, in their 20's. That almost says to me guaranteed they suffered massive brain trauma from the front seat headrests. I wonder why back seat riders don't have forward deploying airbags - probably a cost issue.

·
Registered
7,405 Posts
I was wondering the same thing jd. I notice some cars have 2nd row airbags. I "think" that covers the back seat. I wonder if the airbags are in the back of the headrests or embedded in the back of the front seats?

·
Registered
7,405 Posts
We had an eerily similar accident this weekend near Yakima where another pickup crossed the center lane & hit a Scion xB head on. All 3 occupants died at the scene. Back seat passenger was not seat belted. The 1996 Chevy pickup driver died at the hospital. She was not seat belted.

The 2005 Scion was not crash test rated by NHTSA. The 2006 model was rated 4 stars.

·
Registered
831 Posts
According to insurance statistics, front airbags only offer a fraction of a percent better protection if the occupants are wearing their seat belts. The percentage is small enough that a group of automotive engineers put them on a list of things that are a waste of money in a car (granted this was back in the 90s, but I think the statistic is still valid). Side airbags are a different story. They significantly increase survivability odds in side collisions.

My son is an example of this. A car pulled in front of him years ago. He was doing 60 mph and hit the back of this car. His airbag deployed, but he was wearing his seat belt and he said even never got close to the airbag, he is tall, so his seat was all the way back and in that scenario with a seat belt there is a good chance you won't reach a deployed airbag.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts