Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
"Break em in fast is a good idea. "

Seems, like I've heard that somewhere before. :ROFLMAO:

Years ago, when I had to have a big V8 engine rebuilt, they put in Perfect Circle Chrome Rings.
That car was burning oil like crazy! So I asked the Service Manager, in the shop that did the rebuild, "how can I get those dang rings to seat" and he told me, "all out acceleration from zero to 70 mph, as often as you can". It was a big, powerful, car and it was hard to really work the engine.
A week later I drove that car out to Denver, Colorado, where I finally seated the rings, while running up and down the mountains, and working the engine.

WORKING an engine forces the rings out against the cylinder walls, thus seating them.

The worse thing I ever heard on a forum was the guy who said, "I'm going to break my engine in nice and slow, so I don't hurt it". Arggg!

When in manual shift mode, you can run a Soul engine up to the rev limiter, at about 6500 rpm, but you Cannot hit the red line. The rev limiter is there to prevent that.
If you keep the GO pedal down, the AT will just shift you to the next higher gear, and keep on accelerating, and shifting gears, till you finally let up on the pedal. It's actually GOOD for the engine to hit the rev limiter once in a while.
If there is one thing I've learned in my 62 years of driving, it's to not baby a High Performance engine.

Y'all have a great day now, Y'hear?
FLH :cool:

·
Registered
2021 Soul LX Manual Transmission
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
"Break em in fast is a good idea. "

Seems, like I've heard that somewhere before. :ROFLMAO:

Years ago, when I had to have a big V8 engine rebuilt, they put in Perfect Circle Chrome Rings.
That car was burning oil like crazy! So I asked the Service Manager, in the shop that did the rebuild, "how can I get those dang rings to seat" and he told me, "all out acceleration from zero to 70 mph, as often as you can". It was a big, powerful, car and it was hard to really work the engine.
A week later I drove that car out to Denver, Colorado, where I finally seated the rings, while running up and down the mountains, and working the engine.

WORKING an engine forces the rings out against the cylinder walls, thus seating them.

The worse thing I ever heard on a forum was the guy who said, "I'm going to break my engine in nice and slow, so I don't hurt it". Arggg!

When in manual shift mode, you can run a Soul engine up to the rev limiter, at about 6500 rpm, but you Cannot hit the red line. The rev limiter is there to prevent that.
If you keep the GO pedal down, the AT will just shift you to the next higher gear, and keep on accelerating, and shifting gears, till you finally let up on the pedal. It's actually GOOD for the engine to hit the rev limiter once in a while.
If there is one thing I've learned in my 62 years of driving, it's to not baby a High Performance engine.

Y'all have a great day now, Y'hear?
My guess is, the metal shavings will accumulate to the microscopic crevices, thereby "sealing" everything which makes people think, those rings were "seated" . Just a wild guess, i am not a mechanic.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
My guess is, the metal shavings will accumulate to the microscopic crevices, thereby "sealing" everything which makes people think, those rings were "seated" . Just a wild guess, i am not a mechanic.
Your guess is somewhat right and incorrect at the same time, the honing process leaves little high spots for the rings to "shave down" during break in and seat perfectly creating a perfectly matched surface. So they don't create crevices per say but they do get some shavings out.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Which, an oil change and a new filter will take care of.
That may be why a lot of old timers like to get that first oil change at 3k or even before.
The rings are not the only parts in the engine that will Wear In during the break-in period.
So an early oil change gets rid of a lot of schmutz, that the engine creates during the first few thousand miles.
Going 5k or more for that first oil change is just setting things up for a disaster, or at least a big problem.

Happy 2022, y'all!
:cool:

·
Registered
6 Posts
If I ever had metal breaking off, shearing off, or scrubbing off, inside my engine, I know from past experience, (Years ago) that those particles can and will go all throughout the engine, getting into every bearing, seal, and crevasse in the engine. That engine would have to be fully disassembled, and every bearing and seal replaced. KIA may find that to be more expensive than just trashing the engine.

I had a 2013 Soul, 1.6L engine that began sloughing off metal particles from someplace inside the engine. I found those particles on my Magnetic Oil Drain Plug, while doing my own oil change.
It was already a problem known to KIA, and they sent me a Recall Notice, asking me to bring my car in to a KIA dealer to be inspected. The result could be a new engine. I already had 75k miles and six years on that engine, so I just traded that car off for a 2020 Soul LX, with the new Atkinson Cycle, engine. I really love that new engine. With the right oil, right gasoline, and lots O tender lovin' care, it's a real workhorse
Now, I'm driving my second 2020 Soul. If I didn't thoroughly believe in this car, I would never have bought the second one, when my first one was crushed in an accident. Nowadays, they are not Cheap!

Just my opinion: One of the worse things you can do to the Gen-3 Soul engine, is BABY it. Don't!!!
It was designed, and programmed to RUN, so RUN it. It will respond with some great performance.

I took a little 43 mile road trip today, and got an average 42 mpg for the trip, with, great performance every step of the way.
I bought my second Soul Gen-3 on Christmas Eve day, and as I drove her home I noticed that she was acting a little bit 'Poochy". Since then I've put the hammer down and hit the rev limiter every chance I get, and today she was really starting to 'Wake Up!'. I've also added a bottle of Techron to the gas tank,
and only used Top Tier Gas.
I wish I could give a class, on the "Care and Feeding of the Gen-3 Soul engine". It's a many faceted subject.

Here's wishing you all a very Happy 2022.
What weight oil do you use?

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I run with what my dealer puts in! And it's totally amazing that it's the same thing that KIA emblazens on the Oil Filler Cap in bright yellow lettering..... 5W20. How could I go wrong, with what KIA suggests and my dealer uses.

For the more than a decade that I was doing my own oil changes in my back yard, I used Castrol GTX, and currently that's exactly what my KIA Dealer is using. Go Figure!

:cool:

41 - 46 of 46 Posts