Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
The recall is for rings that were not properly heat treated and they end up scoring the cylinders, oddly enough on the engines that I have seen they may only have one or a couple of badly scored walls which to me means (this is purely speculation) is that somehow they became aware of a problem with the heat treating during the period of time that is in the recall but some were fine and others were not but all of the engines made during that period have been recalled so anyone who has the recall should take it in for testing.

·
Registered
2021 Soul LX Manual Transmission
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Only Gen3 MPI that I have seen using oil are the ones with the piston ring issue in the recall, they use a lot a lot and we have replaced the ones that have come in for the recall. I haven't seen one with over 70k on it yet though so hard to say how they will do in the long run with oil consumption. If the Forte 2.0 MPI engines are an indicator of how this nearly identical engine (save for the cams that make it an atkinson cycle) will hold up then things are looking pretty good as I have worked on many of those in the high 100s and over 200k miles.
Hey bud, what I didn't mention on my original post is, I notice the Soul is not pulling as fast as it used to. this was even before I changed the oil at 3,500miles. I used 5W-30 Full Synthetic oil, which was recommended by the Kia techs I spoke with when i was at the dealership.

Is this another sign it is deteriorating?

My production date is Jan 2021, not Dec 2020 which I said earlier.

Thanks
Font Electronic component Auto part Gas Electric blue

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
If I ever had metal breaking off, shearing off, or scrubbing off, inside my engine, I know from past experience, (Years ago) that those particles can and will go all throughout the engine, getting into every bearing, seal, and crevasse in the engine. That engine would have to be fully disassembled, and every bearing and seal replaced. KIA may find that to be more expensive than just trashing the engine.

I had a 2013 Soul, 1.6L engine that began sloughing off metal particles from someplace inside the engine. I found those particles on my Magnetic Oil Drain Plug, while doing my own oil change.
It was already a problem known to KIA, and they sent me a Recall Notice, asking me to bring my car in to a KIA dealer to be inspected. The result could be a new engine. I already had 75k miles and six years on that engine, so I just traded that car off for a 2020 Soul LX, with the new Atkinson Cycle, engine. I really love that new engine. With the right oil, right gasoline, and lots O tender lovin' care, it's a real workhorse
Now, I'm driving my second 2020 Soul. If I didn't thoroughly believe in this car, I would never have bought the second one, when my first one was crushed in an accident. Nowadays, they are not Cheap!

Just my opinion: One of the worse things you can do to the Gen-3 Soul engine, is BABY it. Don't!!!
It was designed, and programmed to RUN, so RUN it. It will respond with some great performance.

I took a little 43 mile road trip today, and got an average 42 mpg for the trip, with, great performance every step of the way.
I bought my second Soul Gen-3 on Christmas Eve day, and as I drove her home I noticed that she was acting a little bit 'Poochy". Since then I've put the hammer down and hit the rev limiter every chance I get, and today she was really starting to 'Wake Up!'. I've also added a bottle of Techron to the gas tank,
and only used Top Tier Gas.
I wish I could give a class, on the "Care and Feeding of the Gen-3 Soul engine". It's a many faceted subject.

Here's wishing you all a very Happy 2022.
FLH :cool:

·
Registered
5 Posts
My own experience, with the Gen-3 Soul, flies in the face of what others are reporting, which I guess makes me look either foolish, or a liar. But I guarantee, I'm neither. My experience is just different.

Many years ago, my dad, a professional driver, told me "Son, break'em in Fast and they will always run fast, but break'em in slow and they will Never Run Fast".

So, with every new car I've ever owned, and there have been a dozen or so, I always follow my dad's advice and "Break'em in Fast!". And since the year 2000, I've had six new cars and not a one has had an engine failure or oil burning problem. My 2013 Soul, did have a little oil burning problem till I changed the PCV valve, and then that stopped. That wasn't an engine failure, but a "Gadget" failure.

Also, on my 2013 Soul, with the 1.6L engine, at about 75k miles, I got a letter from KIA, asking me to take my car in to my dealer, for an engine inspection, for a known problem in the engine, that could result in my getting a new engine. A few days later, I changed the oil in that engine, and found metal particles on my magnetic drain plug. A few days following that, I went back to my KIA dealer and wound up trading that 2013 Soul off for a pretty little 2020 Soul, that I named "Jem" because she was such a Jewel. She just sparkled in the sun! She recently died in a four car CRASH, but never used a drop of oil in 29k miles.
I'm watching the oil level in my new 2020 Soul, and so far she's used NO oil.

Here's wishing you all a very Happy and Prosperous 2022!
Been reading your comments for over a year and am sorry your little Jem passed tragically. I know how well you cared for her and how well she performed for you. Hopefully you sustained no injuries or at most just minor and healed. Wishing you a Blessed New Year and best to Jem's replacement.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So I changed the oil on my 2021 LX manual transmission @ 3,500 Miles.... I have been checking it weekly for a month after that to make sure it was at the right level (full on dipstick).

I didn't check for 3 months, and at 6,000 miles yesterday, I checked the dipstick and I am surprised it's only 3/4 full on the dipstick. I park the vehicle on the same spot. Is this something I need to be concerned about? I only added 2,500 miles after the oil change and it ate 1/4 ?

I am sure the stealership will say it's normal, so I am asking here first what is your oil consumption if any.

Thanks
I have a 2020 Xline and have approximately 9700 miles on it. I have never checked the oil until I read some of the horror stories on this forum. I had it dealership serviced at 5000 miles. I checked it today and it is still full. My next scheduled service is at 12,500 according to my windshield sticker. I have had ZERO issues with this lease car. My lease is up in August and I will just turn it in and not continue with Kia because of all the problems I see on here. I would recommend a Kia Soul to anyone based on my experience.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
8,132 Posts
I have a 2020 Xline and have approximately 9700 miles on it. I have never checked the oil until I read some of the horror stories on this forum. I had it dealership serviced at 5000 miles. I checked it today and it is still full. My next scheduled service is at 12,500 according to my windshield sticker. I have had ZERO issues with this lease car. My lease is up in August and I will just turn it in and not continue with Kia because of all the problems I see on here. I would recommend a Kia Soul to anyone based on my experience.
I think you're way overreacting. Most of us are very happy with our Souls with little to no problems. Remember a forum is largely a place for people to complain. Most happy Soul owners probably have no idea this forum exists, let alone would log on a say something nice about their Soul.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I think you're way overreacting. Most of us are very happy with our Souls with little to no problems. Remember a forum is largely a place for people to complain. Most happy Soul owners probably have no idea this forum exists, let alone would log on a say something nice about their Soul.
And don’t forget to visit a forum of one of the cars you want to get. You’ll see people complaint about them there too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The recall is for rings that were not properly heat treated and they end up scoring the cylinders, oddly enough on the engines that I have seen they may only have one or a couple of badly scored walls which to me means (this is purely speculation) is that somehow they became aware of a problem with the heat treating during the period of time that is in the recall but some were fine and others were not but all of the engines made during that period have been recalled so anyone who has the recall should take it in for testing.
I just had my 3rd engine (original + 2 more) put in my 2020 Soul due to the piston rings problem. I hope this is 3rd times a charm. My car only has 36k miles on it. Anyone else care to share?

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
8,132 Posts
I just had my 3rd engine (original + 2 more) put in my 2020 Soul due to the piston rings problem. I hope this is 3rd times a charm. My car only has 36k miles on it. Anyone else care to share?
Browse through the forum for folks who have shared piston ring related engine replacements.

Happy reading.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
You my man, seem to be cursed. Or your car is cursed. I hope the third time is the charm and you are now blessed. (y)

Mine is a 2014, passed 94,000 miles. Only problem comes to mind is an ignition coil on 1 of the spark plugs failed.
Car did not strand me.

·
Registered
2021 LX IVT
123 Posts
My own experience, with the Gen-3 Soul, flies in the face of what others are reporting, which I guess makes me look either foolish, or a liar. But I guarantee, I'm neither. My experience is just different.

Many years ago, my dad, a professional driver, told me "Son, break'em in Fast and they will always run fast, but break'em in slow and they will Never Run Fast".

So, with every new car I've ever owned, and there have been a dozen or so, I always follow my dad's advice and "Break'em in Fast!". And since the year 2000, I've had six new cars and not a one has had an engine failure or oil burning problem. My 2013 Soul, did have a little oil burning problem till I changed the PCV valve, and then that stopped. That wasn't an engine failure, but a "Gadget" failure.

Also, on my 2013 Soul, with the 1.6L engine, at about 75k miles, I got a letter from KIA, asking me to take my car in to my dealer, for an engine inspection, for a known problem in the engine, that could result in my getting a new engine. A few days later, I changed the oil in that engine, and found metal particles on my magnetic drain plug. A few days following that, I went back to my KIA dealer and wound up trading that 2013 Soul off for a pretty little 2020 Soul, that I named "Jem" because she was such a Jewel. She just sparkled in the sun! She recently died in a four car CRASH, but never used a drop of oil in 29k miles.

Your first sentence robbed me of mine. I've also owned a lot of cars, include 2 gen 3 Souls (what? :oops::D ... there's backstory, but no problems with either) and before that a Corolla and before that a Cube (a wanna be Soul) and before that..... I've never had to add oil to any car I bought new and maintained no better than recommended. If what Soul_2021 was saying is that he sees no oil on the ground, then I'm pretty sure this is a poltergeist situation and he needs to call the Ghost Busters!

·
Registered
2021 LX IVT
123 Posts

BTW, could you elaborate on the fast break-in? For example, during the initial 500 miles I followed recommendations for variable revs but not exceeding ... uh oh, now i forget what that was... maybe 4500. And then I not too gradually went to normal habits, in which I regularly rev for short periods up to 5500, which I think might be the maximum downshift rev... that is, after you downshift, not before!

·
Banned
2020 GT-White
351 Posts
BTW, could you elaborate on the fast break-in? For example, during the initial 500 miles I followed recommendations for variable revs but not exceeding ... uh oh, now i forget what that was... maybe 4500. And then I not too gradually went to normal habits, in which I regularly rev for short periods up to 5500, which I think might be the maximum downshift rev... that is, after you downshift, not before!
He does not follow Kia engineers recommendations for break in.....he knows more than they do.

·
Registered
2021 LX IVT
123 Posts
He does not follow Kia engineers recommendations for break in.....he knows more than they do.
I'm not questioning his knowledge, and I know he's not following their recommendations. I am asking however, well, just what I asked! I'm looking for a specific option to the standard recommendation. Did it sound like I was suggesting otherwise?

·
Registered
706 Posts
He basically says what he does here

“Break em’ in fast and they’ll always run fast, break em’ in slow and they’ll never run fast.”

Step on that GO Pedal and bounce the revs off the limiter every now and then.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Been reading your comments for over a year and am sorry your little Jem passed tragically. I know how well you cared for her and how well she performed for you. Hopefully you sustained no injuries or at most just minor and healed. Wishing you a Blessed New Year and best to Jem's replacement.
Thanks for the kind words, Doc. Yes, only little bruises that are indeed healing. But my little darlin' Jem is totaled! She's Still drive-able, but not legally. She's still sitting in the back lot at my KIA Dealership.

I intend to give my new Soul the very best care and Maintenance that the law allows. My contract on the new Soul gives me three years of (free) oil changes and tire and rim warranty. That's over and above the KIA 100k miles, and ten year warranty. It's good to know, that she will be given the best maintenance possible.

Here's wishing you a Great 2022,

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Break em in fast is a good idea. Today's engines have much tighter tolerances than before and don't really need much special care to break in but the cylinder walls are still honed and piston rings need to be seated so it is best to put some good loads on it and create lots of cylinder pressure (not high revs but cylinder pressure) to seat the rings. If you have a manual this is pretty easy to do as you just accelerate, give it lots of pedal from about 2k rpm to 4-5k, this way you are not lugging it, not over revving it but you create the cylinder pressure that will help rings seal. One of the best things for a new motor would be to pull a little trailer the first 500 miles or so.

·
Registered
537 Posts
On a new engine you do have to turn rpm to seat the rings. If you take a new engine and drive it like a granny woman you'll end up with an oil burner. Why do you think they put new high performance engines on dynos and turn high rpm? Parts have to wear in together.
Believe it or not, many years ago Chevy had an oil burning problem with the 350. They put out a tsb to remove plugs and put a pinch of Ajax into each cylinder and take it out, run it hard to seat the rings.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts