Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Soul LX Manual Transmission
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I changed the oil on my 2021 LX manual transmission @ 3,500 Miles.... I have been checking it weekly for a month after that to make sure it was at the right level (full on dipstick).

I didn't check for 3 months, and at 6,000 miles yesterday, I checked the dipstick and I am surprised it's only 3/4 full on the dipstick. I park the vehicle on the same spot. Is this something I need to be concerned about? I only added 2,500 miles after the oil change and it ate 1/4 ?

I am sure the stealership will say it's normal, so I am asking here first what is your oil consumption if any.

Thanks

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
8,124 Posts
If you browse this forum you will find a TON of information to answer your question about oil consumption.

Starting yet another thread on this topic is getting, well, you know.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you browse this forum you will find a TON of information to answer your question about oil consumption.

Starting yet another thread on this topic is getting, well, you know.

Best of luck.
Those I read are AUTOMATIK, mine is MANUAL, totally different engines, and I know the GDi engines are problematic... mine has MPI hence I asked... thanks

·
Registered
682 Posts
From the “add oil” line to full is only about a quart difference. So if it’s down 1/4 on the dip stick that’s like a cups worth of oil. That is not a lot and a new engine can consume some oil as it breaks in. Top it off and keep an eye on it.

Is your engine part of the piston ring recall? It’s the same 2.0L Nu MPI that some model year 2020 and 2021s use that have that recall.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
From the “add oil” line to full is only about a quart difference. So if it’s down 1/4 on the dip stick that’s like a cups worth of oil. That is not a lot and a new engine can consume some oil as it breaks in. Top it off and keep an eye on it.

Is your engine part of the piston ring recall? It’s the same 2.0L Nu MPI that some model year 2020 and 2021s use that have that recall.
Yeah, it's barely a quart from F to L on the dipstick so one quarter of that is less than you can safely measure and assume you are actually losing. I am sure you changed the non re usable crush washer during your oil change so make sure that nothing is wet around the drain plug just in case it didn't seal perfectly with the new washer.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
8,124 Posts
Those I read are AUTOMATIK, mine is MANUAL, totally different engines, and I know the GDi engines are problematic... mine has MPI hence I asked... thanks
Your manual engine is the same as the automatic in Gen3 sans the Turbo. MPI.

I did the SEARCH for you, because as mentioned before, this has been talked about before.

Thanks.

Search results for query: Low burning

Reactions: soul_2021

·
Registered
2011 Soul, 2.0 Auto +
92 Posts
Yeah, it's barely a quart from F to L on the dipstick so one quarter of that is less than you can safely measure and assume you are actually losing. I am sure you changed the non re usable crush washer during your oil change so make sure that nothing is wet around the drain plug just in case it didn't seal perfectly with the new washer.
This may have already been covered (I don’t want to get on Geo Souls bad side) but as I understand it the Gen-3s have MPI, not GDI but the oil consumption still seems to be an issue. I was watching Scotty Kilmer videos recently (You-Tube) and he mentioned a lot of auto manufactures have gone to Low-Tension piston rings to lessen friction, is this the problem?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2018 Soul and it just seized! I checked the oil two weeks ago and all good. Never had an issue. Drove today 50 Km and the it started sounding like a diesel. Stopped and checked the oil, nothing! I put in 4 litres then headed home after it sounded normal. Got about 12 Km and the engine sounded worse than before. Just trying to get home and died. Engine done and no oil! Where did it go? No spots and no blue smoke! Less then 60,000 Km!

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
My own experience, with the Gen-3 Soul, flies in the face of what others are reporting, which I guess makes me look either foolish, or a liar. But I guarantee, I'm neither. My experience is just different.

Many years ago, my dad, a professional driver, told me "Son, break'em in Fast and they will always run fast, but break'em in slow and they will Never Run Fast".

So, with every new car I've ever owned, and there have been a dozen or so, I always follow my dad's advice and "Break'em in Fast!". And since the year 2000, I've had six new cars and not a one has had an engine failure or oil burning problem. My 2013 Soul, did have a little oil burning problem till I changed the PCV valve, and then that stopped. That wasn't an engine failure, but a "Gadget" failure.

Also, on my 2013 Soul, with the 1.6L engine, at about 75k miles, I got a letter from KIA, asking me to take my car in to my dealer, for an engine inspection, for a known problem in the engine, that could result in my getting a new engine. A few days later, I changed the oil in that engine, and found metal particles on my magnetic drain plug. A few days following that, I went back to my KIA dealer and wound up trading that 2013 Soul off for a pretty little 2020 Soul, that I named "Jem" because she was such a Jewel. She just sparkled in the sun! She recently died in a four car CRASH, but never used a drop of oil in 29k miles.
I'm watching the oil level in my new 2020 Soul, and so far she's used NO oil.

Here's wishing you all a very Happy and Prosperous 2022!
FLH :cool:

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
This may have already been covered (I don’t want to get on Geo Souls bad side) but as I understand it the Gen-3s have MPI, not GDI but the oil consumption still seems to be an issue. I was watching Scotty Kilmer videos recently (You-Tube) and he mentioned a lot of auto manufactures have gone to Low-Tension piston rings to lessen friction, is this the problem?
Only Gen3 MPI that I have seen using oil are the ones with the piston ring issue in the recall, they use a lot a lot and we have replaced the ones that have come in for the recall. I haven't seen one with over 70k on it yet though so hard to say how they will do in the long run with oil consumption. If the Forte 2.0 MPI engines are an indicator of how this nearly identical engine (save for the cams that make it an atkinson cycle) will hold up then things are looking pretty good as I have worked on many of those in the high 100s and over 200k miles.

·
Registered
390 Posts
So I changed the oil on my 2021 LX manual transmission @ 3,500 Miles.... I have been checking it weekly for a month after that to make sure it was at the right level (full on dipstick).

I didn't check for 3 months, and at 6,000 miles yesterday, I checked the dipstick and I am surprised it's only 3/4 full on the dipstick. I park the vehicle on the same spot. Is this something I need to be concerned about? I only added 2,500 miles after the oil change and it ate 1/4 ?

I am sure the stealership will say it's normal, so I am asking here first what is your oil consumption if any.
If your engine will eventually fail (mine too), we can slow down / delay the calendar dates of the failure. We cannot cure the eventual engine failure, but we sure can delay it months and years.

I use a thick 5w30 synthetic in the winter and SP cert 0w40 synthetic in the summer. I change the oil every 3k. The filter can stay on for the 2nd 3k OCI (total of 6k filter use).

Every four cylinder Kia or Hyundai needs frequent, thick synthetic oil changes. Thin 0w/5w20 oils don't work well long-term in these engines. So choosing the right viscosity may return your engine to "no usage" for an extended /significant amount of time.

Use thicker oil than the watery 5w20s.
Use synthetic
Never let that dipstick oil level fall below full-mark, for more than few hundred miles.

·
Registered
2011 Soul, 2.0 Auto +
92 Posts
My own experience, with the Gen-3 Soul, flies in the face of what others are reporting, which I guess makes me look either foolish, or a liar. But I guarantee, I'm neither. My experience is just different.

Many years ago, my dad, a professional driver, told me "Son, break'em in Fast and they will always run fast, but break'em in slow and they will Never Run Fast".

So, with every new car I've ever owned, and there have been a dozen or so, I always follow my dad's advice and "Break'em in Fast!". And since the year 2000, I've had six new cars and not a one has had an engine failure or oil burning problem. My 2013 Soul, did have a little oil burning problem till I changed the PCV valve, and then that stopped. That wasn't an engine failure, but a "Gadget" failure.

Also, on my 2013 Soul, with the 1.6L engine, at about 75k miles, I got a letter from KIA, asking me to take my car in to my dealer, for an engine inspection, for a known problem in the engine, that could result in my getting a new engine. A few days later, I changed the oil in that engine, and found metal particles on my magnetic drain plug. A few days following that, I went back to my KIA dealer and wound up trading that 2013 Soul off for a pretty little 2020 Soul, that I named "Jem" because she was such a Jewel. She just sparkled in the sun! She recently died in a four car CRASH, but never used a drop of oil in 29k miles.
I'm watching the oil level in my new 2020 Soul, and so far she's used NO oil.

Here's wishing you all a very Happy and Prosperous 2022!
Hello FL, I was an Auto Damage Appraiser for 28 years so I inspected a lot of wrecked cars, hopefully nobody was hurt in the crash with “Jem”. Did the Air Bags deploy, I know this can be somewhat traumatic because they explode in your face and can cause Rug type burns, but I think that is primarily with the older designs. You purchased another 2020 so you must feel confidant on the reliability. As far as the “Break-In” of a newer engine, I didn’t drive my 2011 any special way when it was new, I’ve heard you should try to speed up and slowdown from time to time when driving on the highway but other than that I don’t think it really makes a difference.

·
Registered
2011 Soul, 2.0 Auto +
92 Posts
Only Gen3 MPI that I have seen using oil are the ones with the piston ring issue in the recall, they use a lot a lot and we have replaced the ones that have come in for the recall. I haven't seen one with over 70k on it yet though so hard to say how they will do in the long run with oil consumption. If the Forte 2.0 MPI engines are an indicator of how this nearly identical engine (save for the cams that make it an atkinson cycle) will hold up then things are looking pretty good as I have worked on many of those in the high 100s and over 200k miles.
Hello bwdz, based on your post the only piston ring issues are the ones that Kia is already aware of in specific engines, probably something to do with production dates and specific engine factories. I’m just curious about the actual repair procedure. Do they have you replace just the rings themselves or are they replacing these engines. And is it because of Low Tension rings or some other issue?

·
Registered
682 Posts
Hello bwdz, based on your post the only piston ring issues are the ones that Kia is already aware of in specific engines, probably something to do with production dates and specific engine factories. I’m just curious about the actual repair procedure. Do they have you replace just the rings themselves or are they replacing these engines. And is it because of Low Tension rings or some other issue?
It was caused by improper heat treatment of the piston rings. Something about them being too brittle and could chip and break apart. If your engine (not yours, but the ones under recall) fails the test, they replace the engine. (I think the short block)

There’s also a second part to this recall just released. Kia calls it a “Piston-ring Noise Sensing System” ECU update. I believe it uses the knock sensor to listen for any abnormal noise.

Reactions: bwdz75

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
They replace the entire engine oil pan to valve cover.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
AZ-Red asked, "Did the Air Bags deploy, I know this can be somewhat traumatic because they explode in your face and can cause Rug type burns, but I think that is primarily with the older designs. You purchased another 2020 so you must feel confidant on the reliability."

NO, the air bags did NOT deploy! Surprised me! But all the damage was on the Corner of the car, and I guess away from the Air Bag Sensors.
I was surprised, amazed and pleased, that Jem was still 100% drivable after the accident. I probably drove her, with all systems working, about 50 miles, before I finally left her at my KIA Dealership.
From the driver's seat, I could not tell she had even been hit.

Yes, I do feel VERY confident driving a KIA Soul. And, Jem 2 is a perfect replacement for Jem1.
Except for the paint, the two Jems are identical twins.
I consider it a miracle, that my dealer had another (used) 2020 Soul on their lot, all serviced, detailed, and ready to go home with me. And I call her a Garage Queen, because she was so clean, and had such low mileage (only 7500 miles, in 2.5 years)
The only thing that had not been done, prior to the sale, was the Oil Ring Recall #2, which was performed on the Monday after Christmas, when I went back to the dealer, to get my tires and rims off of Jem 1. My dealer has the complete maintenance history of the car. They told me that in November,
the car got a Full Maintenance and even got a new Battery.
They even gave me back the Nose Guard off of Jem 1. They didn't have to do that.

I know some folks have had really bad service from their KIA dealers, but all things considered, I'm pretty happy with my own KIA Dealer, Jenkins KIA of Crystal River, (aka, Citrus KIA).

Here's wishing Y'all a very Happy and Prosperous 2022.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Production date is Dec. 2020, I checked it before and remember it's not part of the recall.

And yes to the other poster, I changed the crush washer when I changed the oil, and I also checked everywhere, no oil leak...

·
Registered
2011 Soul, 2.0 Auto +
92 Posts
AZ-Red asked, "Did the Air Bags deploy, I know this can be somewhat traumatic because they explode in your face and can cause Rug type burns, but I think that is primarily with the older designs. You purchased another 2020 so you must feel confidant on the reliability."

NO, the air bags did NOT deploy! Surprised me! But all the damage was on the Corner of the car, and I guess away from the Air Bag Sensors.
I was surprised, amazed and pleased, that Jem was still 100% drivable after the accident. I probably drove her, with all systems working, about 50 miles, before I finally left her at my KIA Dealership.
From the driver's seat, I could not tell she had even been hit.

Yes, I do feel VERY confident driving a KIA Soul. And, Jem 2 is a perfect replacement for Jem1.
Except for the paint, the two Jems are identical twins.
I consider it a miracle, that my dealer had another (used) 2020 Soul on their lot, all serviced, detailed, and ready to go home with me. And I call her a Garage Queen, because she was so clean, and had such low mileage (only 7500 miles, in 2.5 years)
The only thing that had not been done, prior to the sale, was the Oil Ring Recall #2, which was performed on the Monday after Christmas, when I went back to the dealer, to get my tires and rims off of Jem 1. My dealer has the complete maintenance history of the car. They told me that in November,
the car got a Full Maintenance and even got a new Battery.
They even gave me back the Nose Guard off of Jem 1. They didn't have to do that.

I know some folks have had really bad service from their KIA dealers, but all things considered, I'm pretty happy with my own KIA Dealer, Jenkins KIA of Crystal River, (aka, Citrus KIA).

Here's wishing Y'all a very Happy and Prosperous 2022.
FL, good to hear the Air Bags did not deploy, sucks when you have to experience that. Even though the vehicle was still drivable the the repair cost must have Tipped the scale toward Total Loss. Good to hear Jem-2 is also a Gem.

·
Registered
2011 Soul, 2.0 Auto +
92 Posts
They replace the entire engine oil pan to valve cover.
bwdz, based on what rhysoul said it appears the rings were mad weak and can fall apart, also good that Kia replaces the entire engine, hey also I posted a question about my IAC valve, maybe you can comment, thanks

1 - 20 of 46 Posts