Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, I'm looking to tow a small single motorcycle trailer with my '17 Soul +. It'll only be once in a blue moon, but it will involve long distances (200 miles) on the freeway. When looking to buy the car, I told the salesman that I'd need to do this, and he indicated that the Soul would indeed be up to the task, which was a major deciding factor in the purchase.

I know the Soul is rated to tow over in Europe, but lacks such details for the states. Almost all the trailers I'm looking at (Stinger, USA Trailer Store Ace, Kendon StandUp, etc.) recommend a class two or higher hitch, but I can't find any hitches for the Soul stronger than Class 1.

The bike to be towed is a bit on the hefty side, sitting between 550-580 pounds. The trailers themselves range from 250-350 pounds. I know keeping things under 1000 pounds is a good idea no matter what.

What is everyone's opinion on this kind of light towing with the Soul? Is the hitch issue something that I could fix by reinforcing the hitch itself, or is it more a risk of damaging the car? Hitch recommendations? Things to keep in mind? Thanks in advance, everyone!

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I'm not a trailer kind of guy, but I could swear there are thousands of trailer posts here, if you just use the search function.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I'm not a trailer kind of guy, but I could swear there are thousands of trailer posts here, if you just use the search function.
You can start with this thread: http://www.kiasoulforums.com/137-soul-general-discussion/98298-i-bought-trailer.html

I have the 1.6, and I have no problems towing. I keep the maximum gross trailer weight under 1,400 lbs (I have no trailer brakes) and the tongue weight less than 200 lbs. Other than having to run a gear or two lower than I normally would and a 10 mpg hit in fuel economy (due mainly to the ramp acting like a sail, because it doesn't change with the load), I have no problems at all.

I just used it today, in fact, to pick up this home gym that I bought for $100.00 from a dude on Craigslist:

The guy was all the way out in New Berlin and I had to go by way of Andes, Delhi, and Oneonta, so there were a lot of hills. I'd say the gross trailer weight was 900 lbs, and I had no problems at all.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
The tongue weight is extremely important. Lots of people tell you to push stuff full forward in the trailer, but you can't necessarily do that with a Class 1 hitch. I usually try to keep it between 50 - 100 pound. Anything less and it bounces around on the ball. I mounted the spare tire forward to add some tongue weight to keep it from bouncing so much when empty, and I center the load over the trailer wheels. It works well that way.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
I love this pic! I doubt if the tongue weight is under 200#.

towcar2010_250.jpg

That was in the UK, most likely with a 1.6L Diesel.

But this one is most likely in Iowa (note the corn field in the background)

CamperTow.jpg

My own limit to tongue weight, is if I'm able to lift the trailer hitch up to put it on the ball.
If I can do that, then it's not too much weight.

Happy Motoring!
:cool:

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Long story short, I'm looking to tow a small single motorcycle trailer with my '17 Soul +. It'll only be once in a blue moon, but it will involve long distances (200 miles) on the freeway. When looking to buy the car, I told the salesman that I'd need to do this, and he indicated that the Soul would indeed be up to the task, which was a major deciding factor in the purchase.

I know the Soul is rated to tow over in Europe, but lacks such details for the states. Almost all the trailers I'm looking at (Stinger, USA Trailer Store Ace, Kendon StandUp, etc.) recommend a class two or higher hitch, but I can't find any hitches for the Soul stronger than Class 1.

The bike to be towed is a bit on the hefty side, sitting between 550-580 pounds. The trailers themselves range from 250-350 pounds. I know keeping things under 1000 pounds is a good idea no matter what.

What is everyone's opinion on this kind of light towing with the Soul? Is the hitch issue something that I could fix by reinforcing the hitch itself, or is it more a risk of damaging the car? Hitch recommendations? Things to keep in mind? Thanks in advance, everyone!
At least on my Gen-1 Soul, the frame of the car is already drilled and tapped for a Trailer Hitch to be installed. So evidently Kia does not prohibit trailering.
My Curt Hitch is very sturdy. I've pulled stumps, pulled nubes out of sand pits and even pulled my neighbor's garbage trailer, with never a problem. The hitch is probably the most solid part of the car. And it works great to Stiffen Up the rear end of the car. Kind of like an Anti-Sway bar.

Cheers Mates!

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I love this pic! I doubt if the tongue weight is under 200#.

View attachment 107809

That was in the UK, most likely with a 1.6L Diesel.

But this one is most likely in Iowa (note the corn field in the background)

View attachment 107817

My own limit to tongue weight, is if I'm able to lift the trailer hitch up to put it on the ball.
If I can do that, then it's not too much weight.

Happy Motoring!
I think the tongue weight is probably less than 200 pounds in both of those pictures. Look at where the wheels are mounted on the trailers. Assuming that the heads are aft, I doubt the tongue weight is more than 100 pounds.

The total weight is another issue. They might be pushing the envelope on that, even with brakes.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I regularly tow my motorcycle and trailer and that combo comes in at just over 1100lbs and I have zero issues with my 1.6 MT. Keep the trailer as small as possible as wind resistance makes a HUGE difference. The small Diamondback trailer pulls so much easier than the utility trailer.

Mark

20170828_194801.jpg

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I regularly tow my motorcycle and trailer and that combo comes in at just over 1100lbs and I have zero issues with my 1.6 MT. Keep the trailer as small as possible as wind resistance makes a HUGE difference. The small Diamondback trailer pulls so much easier than the utility trailer.

Mark

View attachment 108057

You ain't kidding about the wind drag. I lose about 10 MPG pulling the trailer empty with the ramp up. Fully loaded, I lose maybe another 1 or 2 MPG. The drag costs me more in gas than the load does.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Drool! Drool!
I'd (almost) kill for a bike like that. That's got to be a really smooooooth ride!
It's certainly NOT a Harley! (not with that drive shaft)
I had four BMW's (bikes) and not a one ever saw a trailer.
One actually saw a boat though.....when it came back here from Germany.
Then it got a train ride, from N.Y. to Iowa. :)

If I had a bike today, she'd definitely NOT be a trailer queen!

Back on topic, , , with my Soul, my motto is, "If it rolls, I'll tow it". My last tow job was to pull a HUGE Lincoln Navigator out of a sand pit, where he had spun his tires till his frame was sitting on the sand. That's right....Florida Sugar Sand. It's like powder snow. Well, something like that anyway, only worse! It's kind of like a Dry Quicksand.

The guy (from New York) sort of snickered when I offered to pull him out with my 1.6L Soul. Then when I actually DID, he really changed his tune. I probably should have charged the guy, just for his stupidity and bad attitude, but I didn't. His wife gave me a big hug though. :)

Several times over the past five years, I've had the opportunity to show off just what my little gal can do, and I always imagine that I hear her giggling, like a little girl.

My favorite pic's are still the ones with a Kia Soul pulling a large Camper Trailer.

If you want to increase your braking power, without breaking the bank, slap on a set of Wagner Ceramic brake pads. I did, and I'm so glad I did.

Y'all have a great day now, Y'hear? (it's Friday the 13th!)

FL Hamster :cool:

·
Registered
497 Posts
I think that the OEM hitch option offered by Kia for the Soul is meant for cargo accessories like a bike rack or cargo shelf. Not actually trailer towing.

Found this in the manual for my 2014 (5-61 to 5-68)...

TRAILER TOWING:
We do not recommend using this vehicle for trailer towing.
Towing capacity:
We do not recommend using this vehicle for trailer towing.
But then it has this too...
Cargo capacity:
The cargo capacity of your vehicle will increase or decrease depending on the weight and the number of occupants and the tongue load, if your vehicle is equipped with a trailer.
And this section on...
Steps for determining correct load limit
with this...
If your vehicle will be towing a trailer, load from your trailer will be transferred to your vehicle.
Along with warnings and cautions about overloading the vehicle.

Seems every car I had in the past (if it could tow at all) had very specific load limits for tongue load and towing capacity listed in the manual. No math required.

I had a van that came with a towing package which included beefed up rear suspension, a transmission cooler and electric braking to increase the towing capacity.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I built a 4’x8’ trailer in the last 3 months, I’m ready to test tow it down the road.I will have weight and other specs as soon as I can get it dialed in.
4050F94F-7529-439F-A676-249441285426.jpg

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
When I rented a "King Camper" trailer to tow behind my '69 Mustang, one of the main Plus Factors for that trailer were the 15" wheels and car-sized tires. I could pick up the tongue and roll the trailer around by hand.
I know my Soul could pull that trailer from here to Alaska and back with NO problems.

I love that little ho'made trailer! She's so CUTE! Can you sleep in it? Can I borrow it?
I want to visit a friend in Oregon, and that would be perfect for the trip.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I called Kia dealers and RV dealers asking about my towing capacity when I bought our 2012 Kia Soul ! 2.0 liter engine. I got as many different answers as phone calls I made. Some played it safe and would only quote the User's Manual, while other more adventurously asked what I was planning to tow (a [email protected] Teardrop camper) and then said, "Don't worry about it and have fun! So I took the advice of the latter. My wife and I had a fine trip last year from Columbia, MO, up through Ohio, over to New England including Kennebunkport, ME, down the eastern seaboard, back through the Smokey Mountains, Gatlinburg, TN and then back home to Missouri (over 4,000 miles). I was THROUGHLY IMPRESSED with our Soul's performance. I averaged between 19 to 22 MPG. I generally stayed at or below 65 mph. Our teardrop is 1086 lbs dry weight with a tongue weight of 170 lbs. I was careful to stay within combined weight of occupants and cargo of 849 lbs (including the tongue weight) Now here in the Spring of 2018, we are chomping at the bit to take off again -- first destination -- Sugar Creek, Ohio where the people at NuCamp made my teardrop camper.

Sparky.jpg
Sparky 2.jpg

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,396 Posts
Very impressive jh! Nice looking setup too.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Going back over five years, I've read countless posts on the subject of towing with the Soul.
We've seen cargo trailers, Motorcycle trailers and even house trailers (campers) being pulled with the Soul.
Several very interesting pictures have been posted on the topic. Let me bring you up to speed.

I love this picture, because it looks like it was taken somewhere in the Mid-West, which is where I hale from.
CamperTow.jpg

I found this one on the Kia Soul UK forum. In the UK the Soul won an award as being the #1 Caravan (camper) hauler.
I think the post I read identified the Soul in the picture as a 1.6L diesel.
towcar2010_250.jpg

Another option for those who like to go Camping with their Soul:
SUV-tent.jpg
Click the little picture to make it larger.

I don't own a trailer, even though I've had a Curt Hitch on my Soul, almost since day one. But my trailer hitch has more than paid for itself, because I'm forever pulling people out of sand pits, and I pull a heavy Road Drag, to keep my sand road in shape.

It's been pretty well established that pulling something with the Soul is not as much a problem as stopping with a heavy load. Heavy trailers require their own power brakes.

Enjoy your little camper. I'd love to have one!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts