Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Odd problem here: my 2013 has something rattling around inside the hood. When I say "inside", I mean inside the hollow part of the hood.

I can't for the life of me figure out what it could be. It sounds almost like a loose nut, or a heavy acorn or similar. I can make whatever it is shift from the front of the hood to the rear and vice versa by raising and lowering the hood.

Any ideas? I didn't see anything missing in the hood that would suggest something fell in. I see there's a big hole where the hood clamp is, so I wonder if it could have got in that way? My main concern is getting it out of there - thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
9,510 Posts
Once I had a rattle in the front of the car, about drove me nuts. It lasted for quite some time before I got some advice on what it could be. A stone had lodged itself in my wheel between the drum and the wheel inner surface in a race that just happened to be on both the drum and the wheel. I had to remove the wheel to get it out, easy fix. Point is that there was only one way for just the right size stone to make it in there. So it could be a stone, nut, bolt, or petrified bird dung but my bet it is in the channels on the inside of the hood (just like you said). How to get it out though ?

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only thing I can think of is either try to snake some kind of shop-vac attachment into the hole in the hood and see if it'll suck it to the front, or take the hood off with a couple of people and try to "Labrynth" it up to the hole in the front until it falls out. Or just live with it, which is probably my short-term solution if the shop-vac idea doesn't work since I don't have another person handy to help me shake a hood :)

·
Super Moderator
9,510 Posts
Roll it, if can, to a place that has some visibility or access. Get a telescoping rod such as is found on electronic magnets. Chew some bazooka and stick it on the end of the telescoping arm and jab around to get it. Wiggle it on out. This may be your only chance even if you remove the hood to do it.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,983 Posts
Or if the suspected item is metal, maybe try running a strong magnet along the inside of the hood to see if you can move it to an opening?

Reactions: Shaggy Wierdo

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same sound coming from my hood. I finally got a piece out thru the hole in the center of the hood. It looks like a giant blob of JB Weld. It is brittle, breaks easy in hands, looks like graphite material. I am guessing it was used in assembly at manufacturing plant and finally came loose.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have the same sound coming from my hood. I finally got a piece out thru the hole in the center of the hood. It looks like a giant blob of JB Weld. It is brittle, breaks easy in hands, looks like graphite material. I am guessing it was used in assembly at manufacturing plant and finally came loose.
Very cool that someone else discovered this. Mine is still there. One day I'll pull the hood apart and see what it is. I don't hear it as often, so perhaps it's breaking down.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts