Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Soul Exclaim Titanium Sun + Sound, Mid-Atlantic region
20 Posts
I am sorry you are in this predicament. I know I will be in the minority here but this is how I see things. You paid them (professional technicians) 6 hours of labor to find a problem that you were able to find by yourself with a flashlight. If you take it back to the shop that charged you 6 hours of labor to find a problem that should have been spotted in 30 minutes or less, they ought to feel embarrassed. I know I would. For $25 in supplies they should be able to patch the wires. It may be a long shot, but I think it is worth a try. (If not, find them on Google and Yelp and any other websites they show up on by a Google search and leave them a nice, short, simple, honest summary of what they charged you for not fixing your car. A 1-star review might get better results than talking to their manager directly.)

A word of caution- if they say it looks like it is more than they can fix, believe them. You don’t want them to mess up a harness, it will cost at least twice as much for a good shop to fix another’s mistake. But if they say they can fix it and they apologize, I say give them a chance to make things right.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I am sorry you are in this predicament. I know I will be in the minority here but this is how I see things. You paid them (professional technicians) 6 hours of labor to find a problem that you were able to find by yourself with a flashlight. If you take it back to the shop that charged you 6 hours of labor to find a problem that should have been spotted in 30 minutes or less, they ought to feel embarrassed. I know I would. For $25 in supplies they should be able to patch the wires. It may be a long shot, but I think it is worth a try. (If not, find them on Google and Yelp and any other websites they show up on by a Google search and leave them a nice, short, simple, honest summary of what they charged you for not fixing your car. A 1-star review might get better results than talking to their manager directly.)

A word of caution- if they say it looks like it is more than they can fix, believe them. You don’t want them to mess up a harness, it will cost at least twice as much for a good shop to fix another’s mistake. But if they say they can fix it and they apologize, I say give them a chance to make things right.
I appreciate that very much. The other guy on here said something about the abs booster...I have been tossing and turning all night. I really need my car. I can't work right now because of it. It is stressing me. Anyhow although it does look chewed to me. However what he said will not leave my thoughts. I had midas put new brakes and rotors on my car 3 months ago. Would they have had to go near that harness to do that? Could what he said be what happened? And if so, is that the real reason "they couldn't find it"?

·
Registered
2016 Kia Soul ! 2.0gdi
125 Posts
If they did pads and rotors they would not have touched the abs module. That is a very specific, and expensive part that you could know if they replaced.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2013 Kia Soul +, 2018 Soul 1 Million Edition
794 Posts
I asked for help not sarcastic replies I am not sue happy here I just want it fixed. Look online they have been sued for it by many others. Car insurance won't cover it. Claim it is an act of GOD! Love how GOD isn't allowed any where but car insurance lol warranty doesn't cover it. There are plenty of articles explaining why they are attracted to it and it is literally smelling like food to the rodents in my case the neighborhood pest....are rats. Hyundai has been sued as well. I just need to use my car and I can not at the moment I don't have thousands sitting around for car repairs caused by rodents.
What car insurance won't cover it? You are correct that collision or liability coverage will not, but like I said in earlier post-comprehensive coverage-IF you HAVE it , covers this type of damage.
What Is the Difference Between Comprehensive and Collision Insurance?

It’s easy to mix up comprehensive and collision insurance. This is because both coverages protect your car. However, they cover different things.

Collision insurance helps cover car accidents, while comprehensive coverage is more of a physical damage insurance. It helps pay for damages that are outside of your control. So, if a natural disaster or animal damages your car, this coverage can help pay to repair it.

·
Registered
990 Posts

You nailed it on the head. They should have never charged 6 hours to diagnose this and throw sensors on that she doesn't need.
I'm a Kia tech, I can tell you that the can bus wires from the ECU and the ABS run through that grommet. By vaguely seeing her picture and knowing that her tachometer didn't work and all the lights were on the dash I can tell you that they plugged their scanner in and could not talk to or get codes from the ECU, TCU and ABS. At that point a simple check would reveal communication issues as one of the 120ohm terminating resistors is in the ECM (the other is in the cluster) so they would see wrong resistance across pin 6 and 14 of the dlc. Then you could put an oscilloscope scope on the can bus and see that you would have activity but not enough data packets so you would back probe the ECU and see that it is putting out data packets that aren't making it inside to the DLC and you would just follow the harness and see the break.
I honestly doubt that a Midas technician would know any of this, perhaps 1 out of 1000 of them would. They had no business looking at this if they don't understand how it works and I would not hesitate to ask for your money back, call Midas corporate if you need to.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,682 Posts
Honda doesn't cover rodent damage either. This guy is trying to sue them.

And Honda, he discovered, knew this was a problem. In fact, it sells a chili pepper-infused anti-rodent tape and even installs some components pre-wrapped in tape.

Caracci didn’t think it was fair for him to have to pay for the repairs. So, in 2018, he sued Honda in a lawsuit that’s recently been amended to include new information he says proves Honda was aware that its wiring was tempting to rodents yet looked the other way

Rats! Warranty won’t cover rodents chewing wires, so Arlington Heights man sues Honda

Reactions: Tori823

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Honda doesn't cover rodent damage either. This guy is trying to sue them.

And Honda, he discovered, knew this was a problem. In fact, it sells a chili pepper-infused anti-rodent tape and even installs some components pre-wrapped in tape.

Caracci didn’t think it was fair for him to have to pay for the repairs. So, in 2018, he sued Honda in a lawsuit that’s recently been amended to include new information he says proves Honda was aware that its wiring was tempting to rodents yet looked the other way

Rats! Warranty won’t cover rodents chewing wires, so Arlington Heights man sues Honda
That is exactly why I am so upset about it. They know what is happening and they know what they did. They made it a 10 year warranty knowing they wouldn't cover the rodent damage knowing they were going to be making money off of the "go green movement". They went green alright....straight out of our pockets. And to the guy who said it wouldn't cost me thousands of dollars to fix, they chewed the main engine harness...seems to be their choice of harnesses as well from what I have found online. The harness alone is 2k that doesn't cover the labor and the fact they pretty much have to remove everything and then put it all back together...have no clue what that will add to my bill. They are looking the other way and they should be held accountable.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,682 Posts
That is exactly why I am so upset about it. They know what is happening and they know what they did. They made it a 10 year warranty knowing they wouldn't cover the rodent damage knowing they were going to be making money off of the "go green movement". They went green alright....straight out of our pockets. And to the guy who said it wouldn't cost me thousands of dollars to fix, they chewed the main engine harness...seems to be their choice of harnesses as well from what I have found online. The harness alone is 2k that doesn't cover the labor and the fact they pretty much have to remove everything and then put it all back together...have no clue what that will add to my bill. They are looking the other way and they should be held accountable.
I knew you would appreciate this article Tori 🙂

If you jump to 1:05:00 in this podcast the guy has a similar situation. $4,000 in damages but his car insurance covered it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Wow...so manufacturer's made this decision....yes I understand rats will eat anything but I also understand the product being used also attracts them those coverings are like bait....now I live in a city I park on the street. And there are already law suite's on this issue... As it should be Kia and a few others as well.. The only thing I am responsible for is buying a Kia. And I take very good care of it.
Sell your ratmobile then purchase a Hummer with a 10" lift?

·
Registered
2015 Soul Exclaim Titanium Sun + Sound, Mid-Atlantic region
20 Posts
It isn’t the soy that attracts rats. It is the copper. It doesn’t matter what you use to cover the wires, rats will find a way to get to the copper. I was at a data center recently where one rat got in from a shipment of cleaning supplies and did 1.2 million in damage to network cables before they could get rid of it.

Rats probably like that nice big harness because it gives them a place to sit comfortably while they chew.

These lawsuits won’t likely go anywhere. Rats have chewed wires on engines since the first wires were put on engines, and before that they chewed the telegraph wires. If you are in a city with a rat problem, then using something to repel rats is a good idea. Just because some local dealer got the idea to pre-wrap some components that rats easily get to doesn’t make the manufacturer responsible.

As I said before, charging 6.5 hours of labor and not finding this obvious problem is where someone screwed up. At the shop I used to work at I repaired at least 4 engine harnesses and probably 20 or more door harnesses. They can be repaired. The dealer might not want to do it because it won’t be a factory finish, but a decent tech can do it. Even the CAN-BUS wires can be repaired by a good electric technician. $2,000 will buy an awful lot of copper wire, connectors, heat shrink and tape.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Soul +, 2.0L
13 Posts
You need cats.
That won't necessarily work. A cat crawled up into my uncle's car on a cold night many years ago because it was warm inside the engine compartment. This was back when the radiator fan was driven by a belt. When he started the car in the morning, the result was ground-cat. It's similar to ground beef, but with a lot more fur.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts