Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Oh brother........

Rodents -- not just rats or mice -- have been gnawing through engine wiring for as long as I have been on automobile fora. Over 30 years. Rodents and other creatures have been building nests and storing food in engine bays as long as I can remember. Those anecdotes pre-date my visits to automobile fora by several decades.

Everybody I know that has had this problem typically swears out loud, laughs and then invests a few dollars to fix the problem. I vaguely recall a person or two using mothballs to deter animals from roaming the engine bay.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Wow...so manufacturer's made this decision....yes I understand rats will eat anything but I also understand the product being used also attracts them those coverings are like bait....now I live in a city I park on the street. And there are already law suite's on this issue... As it should be Kia and a few others as well.. The only thing I am responsible for is buying a Kia. And I take very good care of it.
So you will need to prove that it was the wiring not the warmth that attracted them to it, maybe they can make cars that don't warm up and they will stop making nests in there, while they're at it they should make the cars all open so it provides no shelter for them. I am going to sue the people who make sweaters as moths keep getting to them also.
Everyone here wanted to help you with your car problem. Sounds like you diagnosed it yourself as it was hours after you posted that 2 mechanic shops couldn't figure it out and took your money for unneeded parts.and you had no money left so why not just fix the wires yourself and call it a day since you are obviously far more capable than these so called mechanic shops you went to. Post a picture of the damage.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Soul +, 2018 Soul 1 Million Edition
795 Posts
Rats chewed up underhood wiring harness on my 2013 Soul. Comprehensive insurance coverage covered it-maybe you need to add it to your policy for next time and move on.

Reactions: bwdz75

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Rats chewed up underhood wiring harness on my 2013 Soul. Comprehensive insurance coverage covered it-maybe you need to add it to your policy for next time and move on.
Good thought. I think if you have more than just liability insurance, you probably have comprehensive.
I'll guess it varies by company and state so read that policy or call the agent.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,682 Posts
Reactions: TXSSSoul

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
So you will need to prove that it was the wiring not the warmth that attracted them to it, maybe they can make cars that don't warm up and they will stop making nests in there, while they're at it they should make the cars all open so it provides no shelter for them. I am going to sue the people who make sweaters as moths keep getting to them also.
Everyone here wanted to help you with your car problem. Sounds like you diagnosed it yourself as it was hours after you posted that 2 mechanic shops couldn't figure it out and took your money for unneeded parts.and you had no money left so why not just fix the wires yourself and call it a day since you are obviously far more capable than these so called mechanic shops you went to. Post a picture of the damage.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,682 Posts
We don't get no respect!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I asked for help not sarcastic replies I am not sue happy here I just want it fixed. Look online they have been sued for it by many others. Car insurance won't cover it. Claim it is an act of GOD! Love how GOD isn't allowed any where but car insurance lol warranty doesn't cover it. There are plenty of articles explaining why they are attracted to it and it is literally smelling like food to the rodents in my case the neighborhood pest....are rats. Hyundai has been sued as well. I just need to use my car and I can not at the moment I don't have thousands sitting around for car repairs caused by rodents.

·
Registered
993 Posts
I asked for help not sarcastic replies I am not sue happy here I just want it fixed. Look online they have been sued for it by many others. Car insurance won't cover it. Claim it is an act of GOD! Love how GOD isn't allowed any where but car insurance lol warranty doesn't cover it. There are plenty of articles explaining why they are attracted to it and it is literally smelling like food to the rodents in my case the neighborhood pest....are rats. Hyundai has been sued as well. I just need to use my car and I can not at the moment I don't have thousands sitting around for car repairs caused by rodents.
A simple wiring repair doesn't cost thousands. You should sue the 2 shops that are actually incompetent and took your money for whatever they did that didn't fix it. Well, don't sue them but certainly ask for your money back as you paid to have car diagnosed and repaired and not guessed at.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
A simple wiring repair doesn't cost thousands. You should sue the 2 shops that are actually incompetent and took your money for whatever they did that didn't fix it. Well, don't sue them but certainly ask for your money back as you paid to have car diagnosed and repaired and not guessed at.
Believe me I tried to get it back. It is useless. I went to Midas and and a independent garage not far from them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
You will have to zoom in to see it better its in that orange circle on the other side of that circle is my glovebox its just below the glove box behind the carpet right there.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Stay away from midas and all other chain places. I wouldn't let any of them touch my vehicle. I'm a retired auto tech and when I was still working, I've fixed several vehicles they had towed to us cause they couldn't fix them.

·
Registered
993 Posts
It is a bit hard to see but that does not look like rats at first glance. That is where it rubbed through on the firewall when the grommet was not inserted properly by someone who worked on the car. Maybe if you can get a better clearer close up we could say for sure. I have actually seen this before and if you scroll up I mentioned that as a possibility long before you ever posted a picture. If you ask how is it that I knew that, well I am a senior tech and have to fix lots of other shop's screw ups or cars they can't figure out or throw crappy parts at that have nothing to do with the problem they are after. I have seen and repaired something almost exactly like yours, this poor lady had some brake shop replace her ABS module about 2 years prior and they didn't route the harness correctly and it took that long for it to rub through. I can tell you that it would be about 2 hours labor to repair that harness at whatever the shop rate is where you take it and a real mechanic can solder that up and use shrink tubing to secure the connections.
How is it that you didn't get your money back from those shops? They didn't fix your car, you shouldn't owe them anything in the first place. You pay a diagnostic fee for them to figure out the problem and they have to give you a written estimate on what it costs to repair it (at least in my state that's how it works or you can contact the state department that oversees repair shops)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
It is chewed about halfway through it to me looks like. I am assuming it goes to the dash. Not sure.
It is a bit hard to see but that does not look like rats at first glance. That is where it rubbed through on the firewall when the grommet was not inserted properly by someone who worked on the car. Maybe if you can get a better clearer close up we could say for sure. I have actually seen this before and if you scroll up I mentioned that as a possibility long before you ever posted a picture. If you ask how is it that I knew that, well I am a senior tech and have to fix lots of other shop's screw ups or cars they can't figure out or throw crappy parts at that have nothing to do with the problem they are after. I have seen and repaired something almost exactly like yours, this poor lady had some brake shop replace her ABS module about 2 years prior and they didn't route the harness correctly and it took that long for it to rub through. I can tell you that it would be about 2 hours labor to repair that harness at whatever the shop rate is where you take it and a real mechanic can solder that up and use shrink tubing to secure the connections.
How is it that you didn't get your money back from those shops? They didn't fix your car, you shouldn't owe them anything in the first place. You pay a diagnostic fee for them to figure out the problem and they have to give you a written estimate on what it costs to repair it (at least in my state that's how it works or you can contact the state department that oversees repair shops)
They charged me for the diagnostic a temp sensor I don't think I even needed and 6 hours of labor for the guy trying to trouble shoot... I will try to get a better picture in the morning. It looks chewed I know it's hard to see in the picture. But looking at it in person it's a chunk out of those wires not sure that can be fixed. I would think it needs replacing from what I can see. I am in Maryland. Can you tell me what it is called? I know you said harness, but does it have a particular name?

21 - 40 of 52 Posts