Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay...so I parked my soul and it was totally fine. It sat the next day because I didn't go anywhere the following morning I start my car....my rom gauge not working my temp gauge not working other gauges do! The tire pressure light is lit and the esc is also lit all this all at once....I have taken it to two garages and the mechanics are clueless with the computer telling them what to do seems like....now the temp gauge was changed...I just put a new cooling fan sensor in also because i noticed my fan wasnt cutting on so checked the sensor which seemed cracked slightly...but if i wiggled it some ir worked....now since I changed it it wont work at all....the mechanikcs took every penny i have and left with my car in the same condition i took it in as...I am a single mother im broke my cars broke someone if you can help me i would really appreciate it....fuses have been checked and appear fine...checked to see if a rodent maybe chewed a wire but no...no evidence of that.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,682 Posts
Check to make sure all the grounding connections are clean & tight. Same with battery terminals.

What year is your Soul & mileage.

Reactions: Buzz

·
Registered
993 Posts
So you went to some parts cannon people not mechanics, please don't accuse hacks who throw parts at something they have no clue about of being mechanics.
Start with what year is your car and which engine and transmission you have. Now list exactly what is not working, if it all happened at once it likely has one common denominator.

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,136 Posts
Howdy and welcome to the forums!!

More details on the car will help, the ground issue is a good place to start. My ground cable had paint under it causing grounding problems so I sanded the location to remove the paint. No more problems so it could be a simple fix.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its a 2011 kia soul plus 2.0 L engine and my milage is at 88300
So you went to some parts cannon people not mechanics, please don't accuse hacks who throw parts at something they have no clue about of being mechanics.
Start with what year is your car and which engine and transmission you have. Now list exactly what is not working, if it all happened at once it likely has one common denominator.
I went to midas and another garage that is a professional setting its a 2001 kis soul plus 2.0 L engine.
Car was parked everything was fine sat the next day and the following day when i started it my esc light was lit my tire pressure light was lit my tachometer wasnt working and neither is the temp gauge my cooling fan isnt working either. My horn works when it wants

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its a 2011 kia soul plus 2.0 L engine and my milage is at 88300
I went to midas and another garage that is a professional setting its a 2001 kis soul plus 2.0 L engine.
Car was parked everything was fine sat the next day and the following day when i started it my esc light was lit my tire pressure light was lit my tachometer wasnt working and neither is the temp gauge my cooling fan isnt working either. My horn works when it wants
Its a 2011 Kia sorry for the typo

·
Registered
607 Posts
To others: 2011 .... where those sealed AGM batteries or open cell lead-acid batteries?

@Tori823: Is the battery the original one or has the battery been replaced? At 10 years old, it should have been replaced a few years ago.

Do you or a neighbour or a friend have a voltmeter to check the battery? If not, take it to a shop to have it checked.

The suggestions above to inspect and clean if necessary the battery terminals and ground connections are excellent. ".the mechanikcs took every penny i have" ... those mechanics should have checked the battery terminals and ground connections. Did they?

Baking soda and water can clean up battery terminals if they are dirty. Dry thoroughly.

A few passes with light sandpaper/emery cloth will help too. If these procedures actually solve the problem, then consider a light coating of vaseline on the battery terminals once they are back in place and re-tightened.

General rule: it is possible to get 'lucky' with less expensive, independent mechanics. If in doubt, pay the extra and have a Kia dealership mechanic/auto technician look after you. If the dealership mechanic fails to solve the problem, the probability of Kia looking after you at no extra charge is much better.

Worst case scenario. The Kia dealership service shop screws you over. That is typically a rare event. If that happens, get back to us. Folks here will have lots of ideas (and some experience) on how to pressure Kia (or any similar auto company for that matter).

·
Registered
650 Posts
Is it possible that you had some critters crawl into the engine compartment? I have seen some squirrels crawl inside the engine bay and start gnawing on stuff. Does the car drive otherwise? A scan tool can also give you some direction, if you have access to one.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
To others: 2011 .... where those sealed AGM batteries or open cell lead-acid batteries?

@Tori823: Is the battery the original one or has the battery been replaced? At 10 years old, it should have been replaced a few years ago.

Do you or a neighbour or a friend have a voltmeter to check the battery? If not, take it to a shop to have it checked.

The suggestions above to inspect and clean if necessary the battery terminals and ground connections are excellent. ".the mechanikcs took every penny i have" ... those mechanics should have checked the battery terminals and ground connections. Did they?

Baking soda and water can clean up battery terminals if they are dirty. Dry thoroughly.

A few passes with light sandpaper/emery cloth will help too. If these procedures actually solve the problem, then consider a light coating of vaseline on the battery terminals once they are back in place and re-tightened.

General rule: it is possible to get 'lucky' with less expensive, independent mechanics. If in doubt, pay the extra and have a Kia dealership mechanic/auto technician look after you. If the dealership mechanic fails to solve the problem, the probability of Kia looking after you at no extra charge is much better.

Worst case scenario. The Kia dealership service shop screws you over. That is typically a rare event. If that happens, get back to us. Folks here will have lots of ideas (and some experience) on how to pressure Kia (or any similar auto company for that matter).
I found it!!!!!... Its rats... They chewed up a wire that runs from under my glove box up into the engine or what have you....half the wire was chewed....omg I can not afford this....I did some more research and found that kia is using a soy based covering on the wires which is like dissert to rodents....I feel like KIA should be responsible for this but my car is 10 yrs old.. So warranty is no good..because if you buy a used kia such as I did that 10 yr warranty cuts to 5..even with a warranty they will not cover it. I read online kia will not take responsibility. Thank you anyway I really appreciate it.
Is it possible that you had some critters crawl into the engine compartment? I have seen some squirrels crawl inside the engine bay and start gnawing on stuff. Does the car drive otherwise? A scan tool can also give you some direction, if you have access to one.
Yup its rats...thanks to kias soy based wiring coverings....how can I make them fix this....it is their doings that this is happening

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I doubt you have any recourse to make Kia do anything for free.
If it's only a small section of wire maybe it can just be replaced by an Indy shop.
If the damage is more extensive, it could be more expensive.
Hopefully it's small. Good luck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Welp, there's a class action law suite already started by others. Guess I will be adding my name to the list.

·
Registered
2012+ 2.0L W/Manual trans.
673 Posts
I found it!!!!!... Its rats... They chewed up a wire that runs from under my glove box up into the engine or what have you....half the wire was chewed....omg I can not afford this....I did some more research and found that kia is using a soy based covering on the wires which is like dissert to rodents.
If that's all it is the repair shouldn't be expensive.
DIY. Try wrapping the wire with electrical tape to prevent shorting. That will work if only the insulation is destroyed. The wire might still be intact.

·
Registered
993 Posts
All manufacturers use soy based wiring and have for a long time so I don't know how anyone is able to use anyone for something that isn't a problem except to those that have rodents they do nothing about.
Glad you found your problem that the mechanics couldn't. If you say it's the wires that come into the car from the under hood area they run in a thick plastic loom and a rubber grommet is right at the firewall so rodents would have a very hard time with that and choose other much easier to access wires (I've send this dozens of times) I think what more likely happened is someone who worked on the car, perhaps on the abs module did not route the harness back correctly amd it rubbed through. The ECM can bus wires run through the ABS and back inside the car sort of near where the glovebox is on the left side of glovebox at the firewall.
Since you are capable of finding your issue better than the "mechanics " who poked around throwing random parts at your car I would think you can repair a couple of wires at nearly no cost. The can bus communication wires are twisted together as they send data packets between modules. They are twisted to protect from magnetic field from other wires disturbing the data. They can be repaired but need to be repaired properly and the repair needs to be insulated from interference.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I found it!!!!!... Its rats... They chewed up a wire that runs from under my glove box up into the engine or what have you....half the wire was chewed....omg I can not afford this....I did some more research and found that kia is using a soy based covering on the wires which is like dissert to rodents....I feel like KIA should be responsible for this but my car is 10 yrs old.. So warranty is no good..because if you buy a used kia such as I did that 10 yr warranty cuts to 5..even with a warranty they will not cover it. I read online kia will not take responsibility. Thank you anyway I really appreciate it.
Yup its rats...thanks to kias soy based wiring coverings....how can I make them fix this....it is their doings that this is happening

Well the vehicle's spokes-"things" are rodents. Maybe it's part of their contract, "We'll pimp out your ride, but you have to make the internals soy-based for our brethren".

That might work, although I've never tried it.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Oh good grief. I agree Tori. Never, ever take personal responsibility for anything. That is so last century.

As a modern enlightened American you should always finger point somebody or something else. And if that does not work, just make things up so as to conform to a growing, widespread culture of mendacity.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,682 Posts
Tori, rats will also chew on non soy based wiring. They will chew on almost anything. Their teeth are constantly growing and it's their way to control it.

They like car engines because of the warmth and safety. My friends BMW had rat babies under the hood. If they got inside the cabin they would chew on the upholstery. Not sure how it's a Kia problem as opposed to just a rat problem.

There are threads on this forum of steps you can take & products to try defeating the buggers.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh good grief. I agree Tori. Never, ever take personal responsibility for anything. That is so last century.

As a modern enlightened American you should always finger point somebody or something else. And if that does not work, just make things up so as to conform to a growing, widespread culture of mendacity.
Wow...so manufacturer's made this decision....yes I understand rats will eat anything but I also understand the product being used also attracts them those coverings are like bait....now I live in a city I park on the street. And there are already law suite's on this issue... As it should be Kia and a few others as well.. The only thing I am responsible for is buying a Kia. And I take very good care of it.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts