Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd take a couple of days and experience the difference of driving in each of the modes. I have been driving in "normal" so that is my baseline, so to speak.

In my previous car the variances were more subtle but in my Soul Turbo they are more dramatic.
In "Sport", the car is much more responsive with higher shift points and a little more engine noise. Steering response feels tighter, too. Arguably, you get a "sports car in a box".

Eco mode, on the other hand makes the car drive and feel somewhat the way I expected the Soul to be before I actually drove one. As a Senior Citizen I can say it drives like a senior citizen is behind the wheel. (grin) Engine noise is quieter and shift points are lower and smoother while steering is noticeably not as tight. However, there is an upside. In my condo development I have to drive about a quarter of a mile no faster than 15 miles per hour. I experience what virtually every review of the Turbo with DCT describes - noticeable repeated shift changes as it seeks the right gear. But, in Eco mode, virtually all of that goes away as the smoother shifting doesn't have a problem at 15mph.

Normal mode, they say, is somewhere in between and I'm going to agree with that. It has that low speed DCT problem, too, but not as bad as "Sport".

Supposedly, Eco mode will give you the best gas mileage - IF you drive the car the same way. I suspect it would be very difficult to drive the car exactly the same way in each mode simply because the mode differences are enough to make it seem like you have 3 different vehicles.

Question for those with the 2.0 non-turbo: are the differences as dramatic on yours?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Just thought I'd take a couple of days and experience the difference of driving in each of the modes. I have been driving in "normal" so that is my baseline, so to speak.

In my previous car the variances were more subtle but in my Soul Turbo they are more dramatic.
In "Sport", the car is much more responsive with higher shift points and a little more engine noise. Steering response feels tighter, too. Arguably, you get a "sports car in a box".

Eco mode, on the other hand makes the car drive and feel somewhat the way I expected the Soul to be before I actually drove one. As a Senior Citizen I can say it drives like a senior citizen is behind the wheel. (grin) Engine noise is quieter and shift points are lower and smoother while steering is noticeably not as tight. However, there is an upside. In my condo development I have to drive about a quarter of a mile no faster than 15 miles per hour. I experience what virtually every review of the Turbo with DCT describes - noticeable repeated shift changes as it seeks the right gear. But, in Eco mode, virtually all of that goes away as the smoother shifting doesn't have a problem at 15mph.

Normal mode, they say, is somewhere in between and I'm going to agree with that. It has that low speed DCT problem, too, but not as bad as "Sport".

Supposedly, Eco mode will give you the best gas mileage - IF you drive the car the same way. I suspect it would be very difficult to drive the car exactly the same way in each mode simply because the mode differences are enough to make it seem like you have 3 different vehicles.

Question for those with the 2.0 non-turbo: are the differences as dramatic on yours?
Well, I’ve had a 2020 EX — the base one — sin the first week in March. Unfortunately, a week later everything here In PA shut down so I’ve only put about 3400 miles in it, probably 95% local driving. Virtually all of it in normal mode. There is no Eco mode with the IVT. Sport mode when I’ve tried it does seem to tighten up the steering ever so slightly and does raise the shift points on the transmission. But I’ve found the the normal mode to be perfectly satisfactory for driving.

·
Registered
126 Posts

I love sport mode, boost gauges and keep the shifter to the left! I’m having a ball.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Sport Mode is fine for owners that sell or trade-in their vehicle. But if you are 1st & last owner like me, Sport Mode will shorten both engine and transmission life. The reasons are so obvious, it doesn't require me to explain it here.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Sport Mode is fine for owners that sell or trade-in their vehicle. But if you are 1st & last owner like me, Sport Mode will shorten both engine and transmission life. The reasons are so obvious, it doesn't require me to explain it here.
Agree......

1 - 6 of 6 Posts