Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, this is an expanded post on something I posted in the “problems” section a bit ago. Putting it here because it is no longer a problem, but a solved issue that I wanted to make sure others hear about!

Our 2012 Soul Exclaim was experiencing a dead or dying battery if it sat for more than 2 or 3 days. The battery was ok, and no major draws were found. After a good bit of sleuthing my service dept. (Maroon, in Wayne NJ) successfully diagnosed an issue that Kia has since found on several more cars at the port. (Nice job, Maroon!)

The wires on the “Homelink” mirror (the one with the garage door opener and a compass built in) were installed reversed. The wires themselves are identical, and the resulting draw is very small. So small that your battery would recoup the energy immediately if you are driving it daily, and small enough that the system turns off headlights/dome-lights did not notice it and intervene. Nothing noticed the draw until it sucked enough juice to kill the car. (Mine was in my garage and got a jump no prob. But picture yourself getting off a red-eye and trying to get your car out of the economy lot. THAT is when you might discover you have this teeny tiny problem.)

But fortunately you can check to see if you have a problem mirror just by looking at it. If your compass is still on when the car is off, (a N, S, E, etc. lit up on the mirror) your car has a prob and you can get it fixed at the dealership. Since Kia told my dealership that the prob has been found in other cars I am curious: anybody else have it? Do you see your direction of non-travel when the car is off?

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
The mirrors are installed by the dealer. I don't think this problem will extend that far from your dealer. Otherwise we would have heard about it before now. Or at least a lot of "My battery dies mysteriously" threads.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, it may be a short run prob, but it is not a problem originating with Maroon in Wayne. I bought it on long island from a different dealer altogether due to availability of my preferred package. I just get it serviced locally. The cars could come in through the same port or something. That said, my car was fine for 2 months, only has the problem under very specific circumstances. If I drove it even every 3 days I would never had known.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts