Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It’s funny how difficult it is to predict the future…
When I bought the Soul S for my wife, who was a new driver, I picked it because of the low price combined with the safety features, the long warranty, the interior space and general running costs. My wife had zero interest in cars and couldn’t care less and although I loved the styling she was indifferent and just picked the color. I had every belief we would keep it for at least 5 years if not 10.

She only uses it to get around locally, for long trips we take my car and I drive. If she’s not using it and I need to make a local errand I preferred to take the Soul vs my big SUV as it’s more fun and a relatively big gas gazzling SUV with just one person in it making a short urban trip just screams irresponsible douchebag…

2 years on and the SUV is gone, replaced with a long range Tesla. I didn’t expect our first EV to be the “big car” but there you go… The switch was made because the used car market is crazy and I got thousands more for the 2yr old Land Rover than I should have so I took advantage and switched to the Tesla.

We both now love the EV experience and are sold on it as the future, so out of curiosity I looked around at what was available at the more affordable end of that market and the cheapest by a long shot was the Mini Cooper SE (e being electric) which is just under $30k but the tax incentive drops it down to $22.5k.
A Chevy bolt is $32k or so but there is no incentive for now but if that changes under new government proposals some people could get one for $21k but we wouldn’t be eligible and my wife thinks it’s ugly.
Sadly, as I have complained about on many threads, Kia doesn’t sell the Soul EV here so they have lost our custom. There is the ugly Nero but…

Of the 4 the Mini is by far the best built, the most premium feeling and with all the latest features. It also drives the best by far. On the above comparisons it’s not even close, the rest feel like the economy vehicles they are whereas the mini feels like a shrunken German executive car with an engaging driving experience to match. The downside is the range which is 110 miles on the highway or about 140 around town (according to European test cycle).
My wife typically drives 15 miles per day, and has never made a round trip of more than 70 miles (and that one time was a major event for her) and she never uses the highway so she could do that trip twice on one home charge. If she needed to drive 4.5 hours from Plano to Houston 265 miles south she could actually make it in the Mini but she would have to stop twice to charge for 30mins each time but that’s fine as we stop twice for bathroom and snacks/drinks when making that trip in the gas car anyway. Not that she would ever make such a trip but it can be conveniently done. Interstate travel is a no-no realistically speaking due to a lack of closely spaced chargers in the south / south west but again we have the Tesla for that.
We have to wait 12 weeks for the Mini to be built and delivered and until then we’re down to one car but as I work from home it doesn’t matter.

Why make the switch at all though?

Well, we got a couple of dollars shy of $20k for our 2+ year old Soul S from Carmax which is insane and means it has been nearly free. This market situation won’t last imho with prices surely cratering in future so we took advantage. The car fits her needs and we can get her into one for just $2.5k out of pocket in return for which we move from a 2 year old 2020 model year vehicle with 3/8 years of remaining warranty to a new 2022 model year vehicle with a 4/8 year warranty. Plus we gain more features over our S like dual zone climate, heated seats and steering wheel, automatic wipers, LED lights (the Mini headlights are better than the Tesla LEDs!), keyless entry and keyless go, and a bunch of other stuff. We’re down to two doors but no-one sat in the back of our Soul ever. We no longer need to care about gas prices which will inevitably continue to rise whereas our electricity tariff is currently free at night so our fuel bill becomes zero. She also hates going to the gas station anyway and has no idea re maintenance so the lower maintenance (especially long term) on an EV is good for her. After learning to drive she started to get some interest in cars but only 4 of them and all based on looks, the Jaguar F-Type which is way out of our budget, the Fiat 500 which is discontinued, the VW Beetle which is discontinued, and her favorite, the Mini which even as a gas car was too expensive for us back then and we didn’t know what her needs would be. But now it works out.

So is the purpose of this back story to encourage people to switch to EVs or sell their Souls or what?
Neither.
It’s really just to explain why, after only 2 years, we would sell such a great car that we actually like and highly recommend. It’s not a reflection on the car, just highly unusual market conditions and shifting tastes and priorities.

·
Registered
2020 GT-White
187 Posts
Lots of people do not understand that tax credit and how it works. For the average Joe.....You ain't getting Jack S%#t. If you pay a lot in taxes....you can definitely benefit. I wish I would have bought the Mini in 2020.....I had a much larger tax bill than anticipated......And could have taken full benefit of the credit....

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lots of people do not understand that tax credit and how it works. For the average Joe.....You ain't getting Jack S%#t. If you pay a lot in taxes....you can definitely benefit. I wish I would have bought the Mini in 2020.....I had a much larger tax bill than anticipated......And could have taken full benefit of the credit....
Reading the small print is important. Sadly most people just read the headlines in life as their eyes glaze over if any thinking is involved…
We had a lot go on this year tax wise and we file jointly which means we’ll get the full credit. So again, just the right circumstances for us so I’m in no way advocating or recommending a similar move for anyone else. This stuff is always highly dependent on individual circumstances.

·
Registered
2020 GT-White
187 Posts
Reading the small print is important. Sadly most people just read the headlines in life as their eyes glaze over if any thinking is involved…
We had a lot go on this year tax wise and we file jointly which means we’ll get the full credit. So again, just the right circumstances for us so I’m in no way advocating or recommending a similar move for anyone else. This stuff is always highly dependent on individual circumstances.
The range on the cooper was not great...but it was enough to make sense for me and my wife and how we drive "My" car. Definitely just a local run about...... I watched a review on a new Elec SUV from VW. What stood out to me was at the close of the review, they stated it took 52 hours to charge it at home on a 110........WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yeah no-one should be charging at 110V. We paid $400 for a NEMA 14-50 stove socket to be installed in the garage and the Tesla plugs into that and even comes with the right charger. I had to buy one for the Mini which cost me $600. But people should budget for that. The Mini charges from empty to full in 3.5 hours on that and the Tesla takes 9 due to the bigger battery.
But it happens overnight and people also need to remember that how long it takes to charge from empty doesn’t matter as you don’t get home with an empty battery every day. When we get home it typically takes 30-60mins to get back what we actually used in the day at a cost of 30-70c if we were paying for it, but 0 in our case.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,935 Posts
Yeah no-one should be charging at 110V. We paid $400 for a NEMA 14-50 stove socket to be installed in the garage and the Tesla plugs into that and even comes with the right charger. I had to buy one for the Mini which cost me $600. But people should budget for that. The Mini charges from empty to full in 3.5 hours on that and the Tesla takes 9 due to the bigger battery.
But it happens overnight and people also need to remember that how long it takes to charge from empty doesn’t matter as you don’t get home with an empty battery every day. When we get home it typically takes 30-60mins to get back what we actually used in the day at a cost of 30-70c if we were paying for it, but 0 in our case.
Congratulations LoneStar on your well thought out evolution to EV. As we get older and often times drive very short distances, an EV makes a good choice.

I remember about 30 years ago driving through Sun City in Arizona & seeing all the retirees running around in glorified/electrified golf carts everywhere. Simple, easy & low maintenance. Finally we have real cars on the market with that in mind.

I agree, sad to see the Soul EV not coming to the States.

Reactions: LoneStarSoul

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree, our needs change over time.
What I prioritized and how far I drove 25 years ago when I was a teenager vs now are quite different.
That said our long range EV will be fine for our multi state road trips, but a very short range EV is fine for our 2nd car for my wife to do her thing.
Ironically I used to sneeringly refer to EVs as golf carts 10 years ago, my how things have changed in a short time..
After the Tesla’s the current gen Soul EV was the second EV to ever be if interest to me. I feel Kia made a huge mistake not bringing it. I don’t want an eNiro or Kona…

·
Registered
30 Posts
Similar Soul to EV situation as you... I looked at the Mini but they told me it would be 6-8 months to build at least... hearing it's only 12 weeks means I should return to the dealership ASAP.

I think they should bring back the Soul EV to the US (It's only in Europe I think?). There are enough charging stations to make it practical in the city.... but that wasn't the case in my area 5+ years when I first heard about the Soul EV.

We have to wait 12 weeks for the Mini to be built and delivered and until then we’re down to one car but as I work from home it doesn’t matter.

Why make the switch at all though?
So is the purpose of this back story to encourage people to switch to EVs or sell their Souls or what?
Neither.
It’s really just to explain why, after only 2 years, we would sell such a great car that we actually like and highly recommend. It’s not a reflection on the car, just highly unusual market conditions and shifting tastes and priorities.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
We ordered Aug 20th and received a production number Sept 1st.
According to the dealer, production is scheduled to complete the week of Oct 17th so we should see the car here mid November.. if so it will be 12 weeks.
This also means receiving it this year which is my main concern to get that $7500 tax credit as current proposal by the government mean it would only be eligible for $4k next year due to its small battery but a Chevy Bolt would be a great deal and a better buy for most then with $12.5k off the $33k price tag (assuming they don’t increase the price).whereas today you get no rebate on a Bolt…

I made a blog post about how practical a short range EV can be depending on the reality of your driving needs, with some interesting maps to prove my point. I also show interstate travel is not viable in some places though:

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Interesting, but somehow I'm just not feeling the LOVE.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts