Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give a definitive answer on weather the Solar Glass on my Soul's windshield has UV protection, and if so, what percentage? I can't find info on UV protection on this stock factory glass. I'll be parking in the sun a lot this summer and want to protect the dash and interior as much as possible. My tinting on the windows and rear glass have UV protection. Dealership couldn't't give me the answer on the windshield. Thanks!

·
Registered
811 Posts
Nope, Unless you have a ceramic tint installed...OEM glass is not UV protected.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,156 Posts
it gives you more protection than if it didn't have solar glass feature. It's treated with a thin film that reflects solar heat waves, thus reducing the heat load inside the car. The manufacturer can't tint the windshield and front side windows like the rear side glass and tailgate so they use Solar glass instead, as its clear and doesn't restrict vision.

If you want to really protect it then get a good windshield sun shade and use it each time you plan on parking in the sun, it will be more effective than anything else.

·
Registered
811 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,613 Posts
YES it does have UV protection. Windshields block 100% of UV-B rays (the not so dangerous) and about 98% of UV-A rays. (The dangerous ones) In fact KIA and Hyundai have more protection on the other windows than most other cars.

Do Your Car’s Windows Protect You from UV Rays? | The News Wheel
Thanks for the link. That 'splains why my black 2013 Soul did not get oven-hot when parked in the summer, like all my other cars. I wondered how on earth that car stayed so relatively cool when parking in direct sunlight for hours.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My eye glasses have the treatment that causes them to darken from sunlight and I notice they do not darken in the car. Was told that was because the window glass in the car filters out the UV. Because they do not darken in the car I sometimes have to put sunglasses on.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Did you actually read your own link? Yes they ALL do for the front windshield, which was the question. It's the others that are hit and miss. Kia has more than others. It says essentially what my link does...

I did, I was giving more info from another source.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My dealership called me back today and said they confirmed with Kia that the windshield is indeed 98% protected for UV A/B. I'll use a W/S shade for long periods of leaving the car out in the sun, but I know I'm just too lazy to put it up every time I stop at the store, etc. Now I can feel better about it. Thanks for the links everyone!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts