Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

161 - 180 of 229 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
My car is 2020 Kia Soul Gt-line with 2.0 and cvt. I don't know if this is anything, but today was in the passenger seat with my arm on the center console that was held open with my sanitized wipes jug, and I could feel a sort of grinding every now and then at low speed coming to a stop. I'm getting nervous because it happened a few times often enough to be concerned. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
19 Posts
My car is 2020 Kia Soul Gt-line with 2.0 and cvt. I don't know if this is anything, but today was in the passenger seat with my arm on the center console that was held open with my sanitized wipes jug, and I could feel a sort of grinding every now and then at low speed coming to a stop. I'm getting nervous because it happened a few times often enough to be concerned. Any thoughts?
As long as the car doesn't have any operational issues and you're not contemplating taking it out for a drive on some desolate highway out in the middle of nowhere, I'd wait until the plague passes and then take it into the dealer for an inspection.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2020 KIA Soul LX IVT manufactured 12/18 10,048 miles...... I purchased this used from a Toyata dealer in December with just over 9k miles on it. It only had one key so brought it to a Kia dealer in December to have a key made. They updated the software at the time. I was away for all of February and most of March. Last Sunday while on the highway I noticed the rpms bouncing up and down by about 200rpm. Put it on cruise control.... same thing....... put it in manual shifting 8th gear..... same thing. Then it bounced out of cruise control and when I hit the gas it went to red-line. Pulled over....... Tried to start.... red-lined no gear engagement...... Shut it off restarted. No effect the first time, but on the second try the belt engaged and I was able to slowly accelerate up to highway speeds, got off at the next exit looked up the nearest dealership and started to drive there. Car behaved badly and I could tell the belt was slipping Finally pulled over and the belt wouldn't engage. Called the roadside assistance number printed on the window and told them where to pick it up. Dealer called on Monday to ask about symptoms. Called back later to say they had received approval to replace the transmission. Tuesday they called and said new tranny would be in on Thursday or Friday. Wednesday before noon they called and said it was fixed, the transmission had come early. Spoke with the dealer and said this was the 4th one they had replaced. Repair slip says they found fluid levels were at spec, but the contaminated with metal. also found metal on speed sensor. Lists the transmission as REMAN CVT transmission. Looking back I think the transmission may have started slipping in late January before I left town. I've always driven standard transmission vehicles and remember being pleasantly surprised with how this IVT performed, but latterly was getting annoyed that it seemed to rev before getting power to the road. It is not doing that now so I'm guessing the belt was slipping for the previous 250 - 500 miles.

In all I am unimpressed that it failed so soon, but have to be impressed that Kia picked it up and replaced it within 3 days starting on a Sunday afternoon.

·
Registered
Kia Soul 2015 2.0 litre EX GDI Alien Green II Pearl ~56K km (35K miles) Michelin CrossClimate tires
202 Posts
Does re-branding a CVT as an IVT make the CVT 'issues' go away?

Or is that just a silly rhetorical question?

·
Registered
44 Posts
2020 KIA Soul LX IVT manufactured 12/18 10,048 miles...... I purchased this used from a Toyata dealer in December with just over 9k miles on it. It only had one key so brought it to a Kia dealer in December to have a key made. They updated the software at the time. I was away for all of February and most of March. Last Sunday while on the highway I noticed the rpms bouncing up and down by about 200rpm. Put it on cruise control.... same thing....... put it in manual shifting 8th gear..... same thing. Then it bounced out of cruise control and when I hit the gas it went to red-line. Pulled over....... Tried to start.... red-lined no gear engagement...... Shut it off restarted. No effect the first time, but on the second try the belt engaged and I was able to slowly accelerate up to highway speeds, got off at the next exit looked up the nearest dealership and started to drive there. Car behaved badly and I could tell the belt was slipping Finally pulled over and the belt wouldn't engage. Called the roadside assistance number printed on the window and told them where to pick it up. Dealer called on Monday to ask about symptoms. Called back later to say they had received approval to replace the transmission. Tuesday they called and said new tranny would be in on Thursday or Friday. Wednesday before noon they called and said it was fixed, the transmission had come early. Spoke with the dealer and said this was the 4th one they had replaced. Repair slip says they found fluid levels were at spec, but the contaminated with metal. also found metal on speed sensor. Lists the transmission as REMAN CVT transmission. Looking back I think the transmission may have started slipping in late January before I left town. I've always driven standard transmission vehicles and remember being pleasantly surprised with how this IVT performed, but latterly was getting annoyed that it seemed to rev before getting power to the road. It is not doing that now so I'm guessing the belt was slipping for the previous 250 - 500 miles.

In all I am unimpressed that it failed so soon, but have to be impressed that Kia picked it up and replaced it within 3 days starting on a Sunday afternoon.
Thanks for sharing your situation.....another failure at highway speeds.

·
Registered
126 Posts

A 2020 made in 2018??

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,762 Posts

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Well, as they say "numbers don't lie", and the numbers say that my car was built in Jan 2019, and I bought it in May 2019 (right off the truck) and I've already got 10,600+ miles on it. So, does that mean that I can't expect to see any IVT problems? I sure hope NOT!

So far so good, and she still runs like a scalded cat! She scares me sometimes, when I'm pulling out onto the highway and she want to spin the tires. ;)

Cheers Mates! Happy Motoring!
FLH :cool:

·
Registered
5 Posts
EX bought new in 11/19. Now has about 4100 miles. Today driving about 70 mph on GSP started to "buck", then revved way up. Pulled into service area. Restarted but wouldn't shift. Restarted again and was able to drive home and called dealer. Said they would have it towed. Haven't heard inspection result yet, but don't feel safe driving this now!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Sorry to hear of your IVT failure. Please continue to share any updates. Question, how long had you been driving 'about 70 mph' before the failure occurred?

Be sure to file a complaint with the NHTSA, link below......

Also, dailygrind is working a spreadsheet in an attempt to gather information regarding these IVT failures, you might want to add to it:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Before you go ahead and file a complaint and or add to any logs, at least wait until you know the exact nature of the problem from the dealer inspection first. Sheesh...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone. I just singed up for the forum to research more about this issue. I'm in talks with a dealer now to buy a 2020 GT 2.0L (with the CVT). During my research I found this thread and the complaints on the NHTSA website. These reports have stopped me in my tracks and I almost feel like backing out of the deal.

I've asked the dealer to give me some details (on if their dealership had to service any transmission issues from the 2020 models) They quickly responded with "no" and that I should take confidence in the warranty. I think they missed my point about this being a safety issue also.

Do you think it is worth waiting to see if these issues get worked out before buying? Or, at the very least until a service bulletin is issued? Does anybody have a grip on the scale of the issue?

The spreadsheet (mentioned in the previous posts) is very helpful. So thank you all for any insight. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hi everyone. I just singed up for the forum to research more about this issue. I'm in talks with a dealer now to buy a 2020 GT 2.0L (with the CVT). During my research I found this thread and the complaints on the NHTSA website. These reports have stopped me in my tracks and I almost feel like backing out of the deal.

I've asked the dealer to give me some details (on if their dealership had to service any transmission issues from the 2020 models) They quickly responded with "no" and that I should take confidence in the warranty. I think they missed my point about this being a safety issue also.

Do you think it is worth waiting to see if these issues get worked out before buying? Or, at the very least until a service bulletin is issued? Does anybody have a grip on the scale of the issue?

The spreadsheet (mentioned in the previous posts) is very helpful. So thank you all for any insight. I appreciate it.
I feel like the issue is overblown, but maybe that's only because mine hasn't blown up yet. It would be good to know the percentage of 2020s that have died and I can only guess that it's very low, like probably low single digits, but that's just a guess. Safety isn't a worry for me, more like a PITA if it dies, which I have zero worries about. It's a great car and I'm usually a complainer.

·
Registered
126 Posts
EX bought new in 11/19. Now has about 4100 miles. Today driving about 70 mph on GSP started to "buck", then revved way up. Pulled into service area. Restarted but wouldn't shift. Restarted again and was able to drive home and called dealer. Said they would have it towed. Haven't heard inspection result yet, but don't feel safe driving this now!
Please report back. Thanks for chiming in.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts

mja21181....this question has come up in previous threads over the past year that this IVT failure issue has cropped up. You will get a lot of opinions as to whether one should hold off on purchasing a new Soul with the IVT or wait and see how this situation pans out. First off, it is unlikely that Kia will ever admit there is an issue with the IVT's. Those that have had their IVT's replaced have been given the exact same unit with no modifications. It seems most of the failures have occurred during sustained high speed driving which may indicate overheating is the cause of the failure, but that is only a guess on my part. Other owners on the forum report driving high-speeds (70-80 MPH) on a consistent basis with no issues at all. Unfortunately, the dealerships do not repair the IVT's locally so there has not been any reports as to what the specific failure mode was. The percentage of actual failures compared to the number of 2020 Souls out there is anyone's guess. It could likely be overblown as Checkers states.

Those that report their IVT's having to be replaced normally takes about 30 days as the replacement units are shipped in from Korea.

I own a 2020 EX and love it. It has been trouble free over the past year I have owned it.

I commend you for doing your due diligence on this potential purchase. Please let us know what you decide....and welcome to the forum...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Does re-branding a CVT as an IVT make the CVT 'issues' go away?

Or is that just a silly rhetorical question?
Well branding aside in terms of operational (as opposed to defect/reiability issues) the Kia IVT certainly IS much better than other manufacturer's CVTs. I have personal experience with both Subaru and Honda CVTs, both of which are decidedly unpleasant feeling and sounding in operation. Kia's IVT actually feels better than a few manufacturers' slush boxes. I think they's earned the right to market their transmission under different branding.

The failures are unsettling and disappointing. The driveability, however, is not. What's most unfortunate is that not only did Kia make their CVT work better than competitors, they strove to make it sturdier and more reliable choosing a chain-based design rather than a faster wearing belt design like most competitors.

It would be great if Kia were more transparent in publicly acknowledging and explaining the issue but like most other carmakers they fear acknowledging mistakes (if it is a design issue) or quality issues (if it is sub-spec parts from suppliers) as that tends to reduce goodwill and slow sales. I hope that the issue is a batch of bad parts from a component supplier as fixing that issue is easier to correct than a design defect (which requires a re-design at some level).

At least Kia owners have a proper warranty to protect us in either case. You really can't drive in fear. If you have a mobile phone signal, your vehicle and you can be recovered and the vehicle repaired. And in either case - batch of bad parts or poor design - the issue will eventually be corrected permanently.

·
Registered
5 Posts
boardhead here. Took only a few days for replacement to arrive and be installed. Blew up on Monday and I'm told today Saturday that it's ready to go, but haven't driven it yet, can't until Monday. While the turn around was quick, ask me if I want to do this again! So the jury is still out for me. Will I ever feel comfortable in this vehicle again? I would not buy one until there's some resolution--too many other choices.

·
Registered
53 Posts
mja21181....this question has come up in previous threads over the past year that this IVT failure issue has cropped up. You will get a lot of opinions as to whether one should hold off on purchasing a new Soul with the IVT or wait and see how this situation pans out. First off, it is unlikely that Kia will ever admit there is an issue with the IVT's. Those that have had their IVT's replaced have been given the exact same unit with no modifications. It seems most of the failures have occurred during sustained high speed driving which may indicate overheating is the cause of the failure, but that is only a guess on my part. Other owners on the forum report driving high-speeds (70-80 MPH) on a consistent basis with no issues at all. Unfortunately, the dealerships do not repair the IVT's locally so there has not been any reports as to what the specific failure mode was. The percentage of actual failures compared to the number of 2020 Souls out there is anyone's guess. It could likely be overblown as Checkers states.

Those that report their IVT's having to be replaced normally takes about 30 days as the replacement units are shipped in from Korea.

I own a 2020 EX and love it. It has been trouble free over the past year I have owned it.

I commend you for doing your due diligence on this potential purchase. Please let us know what you decide....and welcome to the forum...
Actually in the most recent cases it's taken a week or a little longer. It seems that they now have remanufactured IVTs in reserve (i.e., when they pull one that has failed it gets sent to wherever they can have it reconditioned and then gets sent to dealers for use to correct failures).

·
Registered
53 Posts

everything out there has freakin warts or features that are a bit of a turn off . I spent winter months researching the small / mid size suv's since my CRV '16 lease was coming due . I ultimately took a nice offer made by my honda dealer to put me into a 2020 CRV but said CRV gen 5 1.5 turbo model has a well known oil dilution issue that affects some clients .So , I would normally check oil once every 30 days I'm checking it everyday now - gheez its 2020 why am I worried about oil level (no issues so far )

I think if your just zipping around city for work commute , everyday life things I'd take a shot at the Soul . The warranty will cover you if tranny becomes an issue . where I'd be slightly wary is if your on the freeway often @ 70 mph and the tranny goes

161 - 180 of 229 Posts