Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

141 - 160 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
New for the Soul but not for Kia overall. 2017 was the first year for some of the Forte line. We have one in the family from then. Not sure about where else it was used.
I think you're right, it's the same 147hp rating. Very interesting, I thought these were brand new engines they hadn't used before. It was coupled with the regular 6spd automatic tranny though, that's the big difference. I know the 2019 Forte got the IVT as well though.

·
Registered
2020 Soul LX, IVT
53 Posts
I think you're right, it's the same 147hp rating. Very interesting, I thought these were brand new engines they hadn't used before. It was coupled with the regular 6spd automatic tranny though, that's the big difference. I know the 2019 Forte got the IVT as well though.
Yep, the 1017 Forte my sister has is the Atkinson engine coupled to the 6spd automatic. Great combo. Her marching orders are regular oil changes, transmission fluid changes etc. at factory spec mileages, tires as needed, and drive the snot out of it. She's good at all. In her glory days she put 300k miles on a chrysler slant 6 I helped her buy. Herself, violin, and cat careened all over the country. It finally blew a rod -in her driveway- .

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
Yes...these are new to the souls coming from a previous years forte.
Still in the proving stages it would appear.
Not the souls base motor (1.6/138hp) used previously in 1st/2nd gens.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you, I added your information to the spreadsheet. When you can, please give us an update, the build date (in the door jam), the exact purchase date if possible, and if you have the date that the software update was done. That can help identify if that update has anything to do with this. Probably not, but you're the 2nd one that had the software update done and then had the IVT go.
  • Build date 03/06/19
  • Purchased 07/29/2019
Software update on 01/13/2020
SA409 SK3 only applies to power steering?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think I have resolved my transmission problem. an environmental factor I had not considered until this morning is the cold. I did not have the transmission slipping problem when it was warmer. I bought this Kia Soul in July. I noticed the problem in January. And they never could reproduce the problem at the dealership. Once the transmission has warmed up thoroughly it does not slip at all. The fix is to either drive a little slower for a little longer or use the manual mode on the transmission.
:cool:

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,617 Posts
I think I have resolved my transmission problem. an environmental factor I had not considered until this morning is the cold. I did not have the transmission slipping problem when it was warmer. I bought this Kia Soul in July. I noticed the problem in January. And they never could reproduce the problem at the dealership. Once the transmission has warmed up thoroughly it does not slip at all. The fix is to either drive a little slower for a little longer or use the manual mode on the transmission.
:cool:
Good on you for finding a workaround for this problem. I'm not sure I'd call it a "fix."

There's still something wrong as you won't find anything about this in the owners manual. I hope Kia can address this for you. There's every chance it can progress to a failed transmission.

That's not fair to you. You plunked down alot of green for a new, fully functioning vehicle.

All the best.

·
Registered
35 Posts
  • Build date 03/06/19
  • Purchased 07/29/2019
Software update on 01/13/2020
SA409 SK3 only applies to power steering?
I believe it also impacts LKAS and the "stiffening" of the steering experienced in Sport mode. That is the feel of both of those systems is dependent on the power steering.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yes...these are new to the souls coming from a previous years forte.
Still in the proving stages it would appear.
Not the souls base motor (1.6/138hp) used previously in 1st/2nd gens.
Maybe though in 2019 Kia sold almost 100k Fortes in the US. The recent annual sales figures for the Soul are historically in the low hundred thousands range. Between MY 2019 and 2020 and Forte and Soul, we're looking at ~300k vehicles, which is a huge number of units (and therefore "miles driven" on the models) compared to luxury vehicles for example. Or from another perspective car maker Mazda's total US sales, all models, runs about 120k per year.

The number of complaints relative to the number of units produced looks to be pretty small, which is likely why there's been no recall or at least TSB on the IVT. It's more probable than not that Kia fully understands the problem, has a root cause analysis and doesn't feel the worst case scope of the problem will be material from an aggregate customer impact perspective. I can easily see them concluding that the viability of their new more fuel efficient, simpler, cheaper to make drivetrain has been sufficiently "proven".

I'm getting ready to put another 1000+ on mine next week. I have a company function in Las Vegas, tried to get out of it due to the COVID-19 outbreak, couldn't as I'm a presenter, so I'm going to cancel my flight and drive the Soul instead. Time-lost roundtrip will be about 8-10 hours (4-5 hours longer travel each way depending on traffic) since it takes me an hour to get to the airport, an hour wait there, an hour and a half to get to Vegas and a half hour to get a taxi and get to the hotel. I'm actually looking forward to it, plus I'll have a car so I can escape the strip for the better, less costly restaurants in the 'burbs if I want. The Strip is a tourist zoo.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Good on you for finding a workaround for this problem. I'm not sure I'd call it a "fix."

There's still something wrong as you won't find anything about this in the owners manual. I hope Kia can address this for you. There's every chance it can progress to a failed transmission.

That's not fair to you. You plunked down alot of green for a new, fully functioning vehicle.

All the best.
Totally agree. I should have called it a workaround. I'm confident is is not a mechanical failure in my case. At the very least an update to the manual to give the vehicle additional warm up time below X degrees, but it seems to me like a firmware patch would resolve my issue; modify the algorithm for shift points for colder temps. (Assuming I'm right 🤣)
So far, the workaround in my case is working.
Here is addition info on my specific issue:
I live about 2 Mike's from the interstate on ramp. From the time I back out if my driveway until I'm on the interstate at "highway speeds" is about 6 minutes.
Slipping happens at speeds over 40.
Slipping was noticed first week of January. This was first time I was driving in temps under 50 deg.
Wife is primary driver and never said she noticed slipping. She is one of those people that notices when one tire is about +/-2 psi difference. No, I'm not kidding. 😁

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
Totally agree. I should have called it a workaround. I'm confident is is not a mechanical failure in my case. At the very least an update to the manual to give the vehicle additional warm up time below X degrees, but it seems to me like a firmware patch would resolve my issue; modify the algorithm for shift points for colder temps. (Assuming I'm right 🤣)
So far, the workaround in my case is working.
Here is addition info on my specific issue:
I live about 2 Mike's from the interstate on ramp. From the time I back out if my driveway until I'm on the interstate at "highway speeds" is about 6 minutes.
Slipping happens at speeds over 40.
Slipping was noticed first week of January. This was first time I was driving in temps under 50 deg.
Wife is primary driver and never said she noticed slipping. She is one of those people that notices when one tire is about +/-2 psi difference. No, I'm not kidding. 😁
Just for kicks (I know it's not politically correct) what would happen if you let the car warm up in the driveway for, say 10 minutes, and then take off. Would you experience any slip?

This also makes me wonder about the type of transmission fluid Kia chose to use?

·
Registered
2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,012 Posts
Maybe though in 2019 Kia sold almost 100k Fortes in the US. The recent annual sales figures for the Soul are historically in the low hundred thousands range. Between MY 2019 and 2020 and Forte and Soul, we're looking at ~300k vehicles, which is a huge number of units (and therefore "miles driven" on the models) compared to luxury vehicles for example. Or from another perspective car maker Mazda's total US sales, all models, runs about 120k per year.
you are a little off on the total Mazda US sales - for 2019 they sold 278,552, but that was down 7.2% over 2018.

·
Registered
425 Posts
FWIW - I was just at the Kia dealer picking up a couple oil filters and stopped back to talk to the head tech (Kia Gold Certified and a very honest guy). When I asked about the IVTs, he said they have replaced 4 on Fortes but no Souls yet. Of course, the IVT Fortes have been out longer. I asked him what he thought of Mexico vs Korea IVTs and he has not heard anything from corporate. Nor has he heard anything regarding what the source of the problem may be and if it's common to both factories. I guess time will tell.

·
Registered
2 Posts
One other question - for those with IVT problems, how do you use the transmission? Do you for example use Sport Mode (if equipped) often? How about manual shifting mode? Are you and aggressive driver or a passive driver or something in between?

I drive mine like I stole it most of the time, use Sport Mode often, manual mode sometimes (on long highway drives to access the magic "8th gear") and so far no problems.
Just had to be towed. 10,000 miles. Transmission thuds into drive or reverse from park. Could only get as high as 5 mph going uphill. I drive like an old fart in normal mode...barely over 45 mph. Kia 2020 soul.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Looking at NHTSA complaints and other online complaints about IVT failures, one common factor seems to be that they occur at low total miles. The 2020 KIA Souls have been available to buyers since about June of 2019. We bought ours on August 3, and are just coming up on 3000 miles on the odometer, with no IVT problems. Looking at reports from 2019 KIA Forte models, the same low mileage failures seem to be in effect. So, here's my question for this forum: How many miles are on your 2020 Soul with the IVT transmission? It's still early in the model year, but there must be many owners who have put a substantial number of miles on their Souls. Let's hear from you.
10,000 and had to be towed...def something with transmission

·
Registered
35 Posts
10,000 and had to be towed...def something with transmission
Yep I think the original suggestion that this is a low mileage issue may have been skewed by the fact that the Souls using the IVT at the time the statement was made were a brand new model with few units in production.

Sherry could you share your Soul model (S, LX, EX, etc.) and also your build month and year (should be printed on a plaque inside the driver's door jamb). For the members who are keeping track of failures reported that may in time give us a clue as to whether this is something that affects models built over a certain time period (which suggests bad parts) or rather affects Souls built at any time (which would suggest a design defect).

Thanks, and sorry you're going through this. Vehicle major/essential system failure are a huge hassle, and undermine confidence in the car and the manufacturer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just under 4K and no issues - knock on wood...
Given the much better than average rating in Consumer Reports for the reliability of the Kia Soul including its transmissions, I'd expect that to be the case. In fact, the Soul is its highest rated hatchback, a head of eight others, for vehicles under $25,000.

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
Given the much better than average rating in Consumer Reports for the reliability of the Kia Soul including its transmissions, I'd expect that to be the case. In fact, the Soul is its highest rated hatchback, a head of eight others, for vehicles under $25,000.
Time will tell. The IVT is too new to receive "reliability" ratings that are meaningful for 2020. I'm sure hoping it turns out great.

Initial Reliabilty = First 90 Days
Predicted Reliability = Based on Previous Ratings Based on Similar Products
Reliability = Conensus Data After 3 Years

141 - 160 of 160 Posts