Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

81 - 100 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Well I'm not 16k miles on my 2020 xline. At the 15k mile service there was a ECM update and now 1k miles later my trans is acting up. I'm dropping it off tomorrow. I'm gonna make a video of the tach so I can show them what it's doing. So they cant say unable to duplicate. I'll update after I hear back from them.
Wow, that really really bites. Thanks for posting and letting us know. If you don't mind, when did you purchase it and what is the build date (in the driver's door post)? I'll add it to the list and I'll add a column for an ECM update, maybe that had something to do with it. Hope they treat you right.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi all, just came across this great forum when researching to see if anyone else was having problems. I also have a 2020 Soul EX bought around Memorial Day 2019. Made it to about 8100 miles and had the same issues as others with the tach hopping up and down. Check engine light and an error code came on literally as I was pulling into the dealer lot, so consider myself fortunate to have not been stranded on the side of the road; I certainly feel for those that this happened to. Got the call a few hours after dropping it off that the transmission was shot and needs to be replaced. None in the country and no ETA. From the sounds of things, looks like the long wait starts now...

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
I had my first oil change at 3400 miles today. They did a computer update, as well. I asked the service manager about the transmission problems and he said that so far no failed transmissions have come in to the dealership. According to him, it's a very sporadic problem that has affected only a few cars so far. On the other hand, what else could he say, really?

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,432 Posts
I had my first oil change at 3400 miles today. They did a computer update, as well. I asked the service manager about the transmission problems and he said that so far no failed transmissions have come in to the dealership. According to him, it's a very sporadic problem that has affected only a few cars so far. On the other hand, what else could he say, really?
You're right CA, what else could he say? I think denial is the first stage & acceptance is the last. This probably falls somewhere in the middle as "not sure WTH is going on" with the IVT.

Like the Caronavirus, let's hope it doesn't spread too far.

Can you let us know if you notice any difference with the computer update you got today? One member mentioned adverse engine/transmission performance after receiving his.

Thanks!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
You're right CA, what else could he say? I think denial is the first stage & acceptance is the last. This probably falls somewhere in the middle as "not sure WTH is going on" with the IVT.

Like the Caronavirus, let's hope it doesn't spread too far.

Can you let us know if you notice any difference with the computer update you got today? One member mentioned adverse engine/transmission performance after receiving his.

Thanks!
I didn't notice any difference at all, but I only drove about 10 miles, home from the dealership. I did some aggressive accelerations, and thought, perhaps, that the shifts to fixed ratios were a little more firm. However, I don't normally drive at all aggressively, so I could be wrong. IVT operation has been the same, really, the entire time I've owned the car. My normal driving style is to use a light throttle as a rule.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hi all, just came across this great forum when researching to see if anyone else was having problems. I also have a 2020 Soul EX bought around Memorial Day 2019. Made it to about 8100 miles and had the same issues as others with the tach hopping up and down. Check engine light and an error code came on literally as I was pulling into the dealer lot, so consider myself fortunate to have not been stranded on the side of the road; I certainly feel for those that this happened to. Got the call a few hours after dropping it off that the transmission was shot and needs to be replaced. None in the country and no ETA. From the sounds of things, looks like the long wait starts now...
Welcome to the forums; can you tell us the exact date of the failure and your build date? Also, was your Soul updated with a new ECM update? We are trying to track these items to see if there is any correlation and to help with any future failures, and to have something to point to if we need to prove anything. You can just reply to this message.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Appreciate you posting up. While many get on forums just to complain, I think this is becoming a very legit issue. It may only be "1 percent of owners" as some have said, but that is 0.99 percent too many.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Welcome to the forums; can you tell us the exact date of the failure and your build date? Also, was your Soul updated with a new ECM update? We are trying to track these items to see if there is any correlation and to help with any future failures, and to have something to point to if we need to prove anything. You can just reply to this message.
Thanks for the welcome. Car is at the dealer, but I have to go today to pick up a loaner so can try to get the info off the sticker inside the door. The date of failure was this past Thursday, 1/23. The ECM update was applied according to the dealer. This was done around 5500 miles when it was in for its first service; failure occurred at about 8100 miles. I had noticed a slow but progressive lowering in my average MPG post-service, but thought that may have just been due to changes in weather. Now wondering if it was just early signs of failure.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Thanks for the welcome. Car is at the dealer, but I have to go today to pick up a loaner so can try to get the info off the sticker inside the door. The date of failure was this past Thursday, 1/23. The ECM update was applied according to the dealer. This was done around 5500 miles when it was in for its first service; failure occurred at about 8100 miles. I had noticed a slow but progressive lowering in my average MPG post-service, but thought that may have just been due to changes in weather. Now wondering if it was just early signs of failure.
Okay great, I added the information to it: 2020 KIA Soul IVT & ISG Failures

·
Registered
106 Posts
Not Kia, but take a look...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
129 Posts
Not Kia, but take a look...

Oh yeah, that was a total blow-it on Ford's part and they KNEW about it and never did anything about it. We have one for my company and it is trash, transmission is the worst POS and they never fixed it. My wife and I almost bought a Focus and then a Fiesta, but every time I drove one of them the car bogged down and acted strange; after doing some research I found out there were TONS of complaints and no solutions, avoided that issue by doing my homework. That's just one more reason to collect this information.

And to be honest, $30M is chump change, that doesn't scratch the surface for what they did to people and then denied it. They screwed people over with those transmissions.

·
Registered
106 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Oh yeah, that was a total blow-it on Ford's part and they KNEW about it and never did anything about it. We have one for my company and it is trash, transmission is the worst POS and they never fixed it. My wife and I almost bought a Focus and then a Fiesta, but every time I drove one of them the car bogged down and acted strange; after doing some research I found out there were TONS of complaints and no solutions, avoided that issue by doing my homework. That's just one more reason to collect this information.

And to be honest, $30M is chump change, that doesn't scratch the surface for what they did to people and then denied it. They screwed people over with those transmissions.
Agree 100 percent

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
FWIW, the NHTSA web site is now showing 9 complaints under 'Powertrain' . Seven of which are blown transmissions. Other issues are beginning to show up as well:

Interestingly enough, the 2020 Kia Forte only has one complaint under 'Body'. Since it uses the same engine/trans set-up as the Souls, figure that one out......

·
Registered
11 Posts
Update. I dropped it off last thur. I was off friday so wasn't worried about a loaner. Well I didnt hear anything all day friday. So friday night I called them. Got told we will call you back in 15 mins. Guess what no call back. I called back twice and got a message system. Left kinda rude messages. Then they closed and I never heard anything. So Saturday i go up there pissed. Get told well they should have told you the tech who was assigned my car called in Friday. Good to know. So i said i need my car or a loaner for work monday and its bs that I didnt have a car almost 3 days now and it wont even be looked at till Monday. He gives me his personal cell number and says I'll call back with a loaner. He didnt call back. I did. I go up there and they did give me my choice of a sorento or a optima. Brand new ones with less than 1k miles. Slight win for them. I guess. Lol. Well heard nothing monday. After work tues I call. Leave a message. They call me back. Tell me they could not duplicate the issue. Surprise. I mention my video they say that wouldn't let them know what was happening or how to fix. Cool I guess. Then he tells me they drove it alot and put alot of miles on it and maybe it was a fluke. I mention that it really does it the most on the interstate. Above 65 mph. He assured me they did that too. Well when I dropped it off it had 16130 miles. I go in pick it up was told to make sure I replaced the gas in the loaner or I would be charged 45 dollars. Figured my car would be on empty. Get in and it's about the same. My mpg for the tank is the same too. Look down mileage 16146. They drove it 16 miles. I leave pull out and go down the road and get to a point where I'm coasting then I have to hit the gas again and it bucks and hesitates. I guess I need to take it to another kia dealership now. Like I honestly hope it takes a full **** on me tomorrow. Guess the good was I got a few days in a new sorento. Lol

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,432 Posts
Update. I dropped it off last thur. I was off friday so wasn't worried about a loaner. Well I didnt hear anything all day friday. So friday night I called them. Got told we will call you back in 15 mins. Guess what no call back. I called back twice and got a message system. Left kinda rude messages. Then they closed and I never heard anything. So Saturday i go up there pissed. Get told well they should have told you the tech who was assigned my car called in Friday. Good to know. So i said i need my car or a loaner for work monday and its bs that I didnt have a car almost 3 days now and it wont even be looked at till Monday. He gives me his personal cell number and says I'll call back with a loaner. He didnt call back. I did. I go up there and they did give me my choice of a sorento or a optima. Brand new ones with less than 1k miles. Slight win for them. I guess. Lol. Well heard nothing monday. After work tues I call. Leave a message. They call me back. Tell me they could not duplicate the issue. Surprise. I mention my video they say that wouldn't let them know what was happening or how to fix. Cool I guess. Then he tells me they drove it alot and put alot of miles on it and maybe it was a fluke. I mention that it really does it the most on the interstate. Above 65 mph. He assured me they did that too. Well when I dropped it off it had 16130 miles. I go in pick it up was told to make sure I replaced the gas in the loaner or I would be charged 45 dollars. Figured my car would be on empty. Get in and it's about the same. My mpg for the tank is the same too. Look down mileage 16146. They drove it 16 miles. I leave pull out and go down the road and get to a point where I'm coasting then I have to hit the gas again and it bucks and hesitates. I guess I need to take it to another kia dealership now. Like I honestly hope it takes a full **** on me tomorrow. Guess the good was I got a few days in a new sorento. Lol
Well you know the KIA motto is "The Power to Surprise."

Surprise!

Sorry to hear about your frustration Caidoz. They basically drove it about 15 minutes and I wonder how much was on the Interstate above 65mpg. That's nothing.

Seems kinda cheap of them to nick you on gas. How much is your time worth that is being sucked up by this defective vehicle they sold you.

All the best and hope this gets solved for you soon.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Seriously man, that really sucks. Sorry for the hassle you're going through, keep us apprised. Who was that dealer (name and location), I can add it to the sheet...they're never gonna like that...:p

81 - 100 of 135 Posts