Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

61 - 80 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I have 5800 and had first oil yesterday. Second won't be until 11000. Why you oiling up so much?
The question would have to be, "why are you NOT properly maintaining your car?"
Every time I've bought a new car, (three different dealers) in the last 20 years, the SVC Mgr has always said to me, "we'll see you in 3000 miles, for your first oil change." I've grown to expect that. I get FREE oil changes from my own KIA Dealer and they have NO problem with me going in every 3k miles for my free oil change, along with a Genuine KIA Oil Filter.
And every 6k miles they rotate my tires. On my last rotation, they found a 'staple' in the sidewall of one tire, so they put on a new tire. I just call that "Good Maintenance".

I've changed the oil and filter every 3000 miles on every car I've owned for the past 50+ years. Why would I do anything different now? Eh? Oil doesn't wear out...but it's the additives in the oil that do, so getting that old oil, with worn out additives out of my engine is important, to me anyway. I guess you just don't care.

All the years that I drove leased Company Cars, it was absolutely Mandatory to get an oil and filter change every 3k miles.
That was every month, or sooner, on my Company Car that I drove on my last job, with ITT Servcom.

Oil changes are a lot cheaper than engine changes, so why not?

Cheers Mates!
:cool:

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Every time I've bought a new car, (three different dealers) in the last 20 years, the SVC Mgr has always said to me, "we'll see you in 3000 miles, for your first oil change." I've grown to expect that. I get FREE oil changes from my own KIA Dealer and they have NO problem with me going in every 3k miles for my free oil change, along with a Genuine KIA Oil Filter.
And every 6k miles they rotate my tires. On my last rotation, they found a 'staple' in the sidewall of one tire, so they put on a new tire. I just call that "Good Maintenance".

I've changed the oil and filter every 3000 miles on every car I've owned for the past 50+ years. Why would I do anything different now? Eh? Oil doesn't wear out...but it's the additives in the oil that do, so getting that old oil, with worn out additives out of my engine is important, to me anyway. I guess you just don't care.

All the years that I drove leased Company Cars, it was absolutely Mandatory to get an oil and filter change every 3k miles.
That was every month, or sooner, on my Company Car that I drove on my last job, with ITT Servcom.

Cheers Mates!
OH, and since this is actually a thread about the IVT and not oil....
Just for grins and giggles, I called my KIA dealership yesterday, and talked to Karen, my favorite service writer...
and I asked her if they have seen any IVT failures on the 2020 Soul, and she said, "none at all".
I figured that she would know, if any Souls came in on a Roll-Back, with a blown transmission. Eh?

·
Registered
106 Posts

Cheers Mates!
5k mile oil changes is hardly lack of maintenance. But hey, its America....do your thing.

And once again, not seeing the obvious problem come into your dealership does not remove or hide the fact that this thread was started for a reason and continues to have people add to the plot of the story. Good on you for trouble free miles. It doesn't make it untrue for others.
Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
OH, and since this is actually a thread about the IVT and not oil....
Just for grins and giggles, I called my KIA dealership yesterday, and talked to Karen, my favorite service writer...
and I asked her if they have seen any IVT failures on the 2020 Soul, and she said, "none at all".
I figured that she would know, if any Souls came in on a Roll-Back, with a blown transmission. Eh?
Is this Karen? 😀

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,432 Posts
Hey FL, I'm all for maintenance the way that works best for the vehicle and the owners peace of mind.

I think in all fairness to anyone reading this is to let folks know that a stepped up oil change schedule wasn't able to prevent your 2013 Soul (Gertrude) from developing metal shavings.

No amount of fresh oil will save an engine with an inherent design flaw (or weak part), but like you've said can make it last longer.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hey FL, I'm all for maintenance the way that works best for the vehicle and the owners peace of mind.

I think in all fairness to anyone reading this is to let folks know that a stepped up oil change schedule wasn't able to prevent your 2013 Soul (Gertrude) from developing metal shavings.

No amount of fresh oil will save an engine with an inherent design flaw (or weak part), but like you've said can make it last longer.
Facts...which often get left behind.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
No, Karen is better looking, and a Red Head.

There was a known factory defect in the 1.6L engine in the 2013 Soul, and that's why KIA sent out a recall on that engine. Unfortunately, good maintenance does not counteract factory defects. Wish it did.
I still got a good 75,000 trouble free miles out of my 2013. Without that recall, I'd still be very happily driving my 2013.
I loved that little car.

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
I think, and you can correct me if I'm wrong here...The issue wasn't "developing metal shavings" as they were present all along from the manufacturing process?
The issue was the slow dislodging of them and the damages they caused during the dislodging process.
Religious oil change maintenance CAN prevent metal shavings due to wear & friction.
These were not those kind of shavings.

·
Registered
6,432 Posts
I think, and you can correct me if I'm wrong here...The issue wasn't "developing metal shavings" as they were present all along from the manufacturing process?
The issue was the slow dislodging of them and the damages they caused during the dislodging process.
Religious oil change maintenance CAN prevent metal shavings due to wear & friction.
These were not those kind of shavings.
I agree srad. That's what I meant by inherent design flaw. That was the cause of his engine failure. The point was that his stepped up oil change regiment couldn't save poor Gertrude from her ultimate fate. I wasn't using the word "developing" as "causing." More as the "appearance" of the metal shavings.

I'd sure hate to be the poor sap that the dealer sold Gertrude to. As a second owner, when they discover metal shards, would they have any claim on the recall?

·
Registered
6,432 Posts
This guys failed at just 636 miles:

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
I agree srad. That's what I meant by inherent design flaw. That was the cause of his engine failure. The point was that his stepped up oil change regiment couldn't save poor Gertrude from her ultimate fate. I wasn't using the word "developing" as "causing." More as the "appearance" of the metal shavings.

I'd sure hate to be the poor sap that the dealer sold Gertrude to. As a second owner, when they discover metal shards, would they have any claim on the recall?
Wouldn't it be something if an anonymous letter to the new owners showed up advising them that the dealer was advised of all deficiencies when car was traded to them?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well I'm not 16k miles on my 2020 xline. At the 15k mile service there was a ECM update and now 1k miles later my trans is acting up. I'm dropping it off tomorrow. I'm gonna make a video of the tach so I can show them what it's doing. So they cant say unable to duplicate. I'll update after I hear back from them.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Well I'm not 16k miles on my 2020 xline. At the 15k mile service there was a ECM update and now 1k miles later my trans is acting up. I'm dropping it off tomorrow. I'm gonna make a video of the tach so I can show them what it's doing. So they cant say unable to duplicate. I'll update after I hear back from them.
I really hope it's a fluke. I have a bad feeling it isn't though. Let us know!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I will. Honestly it had been fine till the software update. Then it didnt feel the same. it honestly felt like they programmed more slip into it if that makes sense.

·
Registered
6,432 Posts
I will. Honestly it had been fine till the software update. Then it didnt feel the same. it honestly felt like they programmed more slip into it if that makes sense.
It reminds me of when I get an app update and it f's everything up. Too bad Kia doesn't gave an Undo feature for you to select.

·
Registered
106 Posts
If does, and it makes me realize to never go get an update to mine.

61 - 80 of 135 Posts