Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
541 - 555 of 555 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Soul GT
12 Posts
I agree, especially in this case. When some older automotive components are refurbished you would be getting an old case with new internals but these transmissions are pretty new so you are getting a pretty new unit with new internals and all new update components. Consider that a lot of these transmissions failed very early with many below 5k miles, I have personally replaced over 50 of them. I have yet to replace one of the remanufactured units and many of them have been out there for well over a year so I think the reliability is very good on those so far.
Thanks for your reply, you guys are making me feel a lot better 😊

·
Registered
838 Posts
...... I have personally replaced over 50 of them. I have yet to replace one of the remanufactured units and many of them have been out there for well over a year so I think the reliability is very good on those so far.
Thank you bwdz75!

Folks, this is anecdotal evidence but considering the source, it is most valuable anecdotal information. These kinds of useful stylized facts make frequenting and reading this forum most worthwhile.

FWIW, what bwdz75 says confirms what my own understanding of the overall track record of refurbished/re-manufactured automobile components.

In passing, thank the stars that the auto industry does this or governments would be looking for much larger landfills.

Reactions: LP48043

·
Registered
2021 Kia Soul X-Line
7 Posts
My 2021 Soul died on the side of the highway at 2,994 miles. Had my first oil change scheduled for the next day! We had the car towed to the dealership. They had to replace the transmission. They had the car 2 weeks and I had a loaner. This is my 3rd new Kia Soul, because I really love the car. I purchased new cars mostly for the reliability because I travel out of state pretty frequently and don't want to get stranded. Luckily, I was less than 5 miles from my house when it happened. This is the first major issue I've ever had with them. It does make me wonder if it will happen again with this car. I will definitely be paying more attention to the little things that I hear or feel now but I am hopeful the new transmission fixed the problem and this car will be just as wonderful as my others.

·
Registered
2022 Soul GT
12 Posts
My 2021 Soul died on the side of the highway at 2,994 miles. Had my first oil change scheduled for the next day! We had the car towed to the dealership. They had to replace the transmission. They had the car 2 weeks and I had a loaner. This is my 3rd new Kia Soul, because I really love the car. I purchased new cars mostly for the reliability because I travel out of state pretty frequently and don't want to get stranded. Luckily, I was less than 5 miles from my house when it happened. This is the first major issue I've ever had with them. It does make me wonder if it will happen again with this car. I will definitely be paying more attention to the little things that I hear or feel now but I am hopeful the new transmission fixed the problem and this car will be just as wonderful as my others.
I just got mine back recently after two weeks in the shop for a "new" transmission. So far, so good, but like you I'm hyper aware of anything weird.

Fingers crossed..

·
Registered
1 Posts
2020 Kia Soul Ex 18700 miles. The transmission went south on Christmas eve 115 miles from home on the way to my sons.
I was expecting a long turn around on the transmission replacement. The dealer had authorized 21-30 days rental.
They received authorization on Tuesday afternoon. I picked up the rental the following day. At 5pm the same day they called and they had already replaced the transmission. It seams they keep one in stock. A pleasant but shocking surprise. I hope this remanufactured transmission works as advertised.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm 1000 miles from home in my 2020 Kia soul (23k miles) with a cvt, and I had to have it towed to a nearby dealership. It suddenly started surging and then about 3 minutes later the rpms shot up to 6k, even slowing down to 15mph. I was on the highway but luckily managed to limp it to the next exit. No check engine light, which seemed bizarre. I'm hoping it's not the transmission 🤞, but will find out tomorrow. I'm also concerned about how I'm supposed to get it home if it takes more than a day or two to fix...

·
Registered
2022 Soul GT
12 Posts
I'm 1000 miles from home in my 2020 Kia soul (23k miles) with a cvt, and I had to have it towed to a nearby dealership. It suddenly started surging and then about 3 minutes later the rpms shot up to 6k, even slowing down to 15mph. I was on the highway but luckily managed to limp it to the next exit. No check engine light, which seemed bizarre. I'm hoping it's not the transmission 🤞, but will find out tomorrow. I'm also concerned about how I'm supposed to get it home if it takes more than a day or two to fix...
Oh no.. That sounds similar to what happened with mine, and it was the transmission. I'm sorry that you're so far from home :(

Keep us posted. Good luck 🍀

·
Registered
4 Posts
Oh no.. That sounds similar to what happened with mine, and it was the transmission. I'm sorry that you're so far from home :(

Keep us posted. Good luck 🍀
Thank you so much, I will come back and update once I hear from the dealership. Luckily we were leaving my dad's house and only an hour away. If we were going through a very busy area like Jersey or NYC we could have ended up in a nasty accident when it happened.

·
Registered
2022 Soul GT
12 Posts
Thank you so much, I will come back and update once I hear from the dealership. Luckily we were leaving my dad's house and only an hour away. If we were going through a very busy area like Jersey or NYC we could have ended up in a nasty accident when it happened.
Yeah you were lucky - so was I, I had just exited a busy freeway when mine imploded. I asked the service guy at my dealership if a lot of these cars have transmission problems, and he played dumb. Maybe he should visit these forums.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yeah you were lucky - so was I, I had just exited a busy freeway when mine imploded. I asked the service guy at my dealership if a lot of these cars have transmission problems, and he played dumb. Maybe he should visit these forums.
It did end up being the transmission.. I'll have to fly back home with my family tomorrow and it won't be ready for a few weeks. I'm on hold with Kia corporate to see if they will have it shipped back to me 🤞

·
Registered
706 Posts
It did end up being the transmission.. I'll have to fly back home with my family tomorrow and it won't be ready for a few weeks. I'm on hold with Kia corporate to see if they will have it shipped back to me 🤞
Ask them about a rental too. They should cover it.

·
Registered
2022 Soul GT
12 Posts
Get a loaner from your local dealer if you can. Sorry this happened to you :(

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, "good thing" I found this forum thread, I guess?

2020 Soul EX, about 18,000 miles. RPMs started surging a bit while I was driving to work over a couple days. About 70 miles a day highway.
A couple days ago it was doing it about 50% of the total time on the drive home, and then when I hit the exit ramp it spiked to >5k RPM without any acceleration, but then caught again a second later.

Half a mile down the road from there, RPMs spiked without any acceleration trying to get going from a stop light. Let off the gas, waited a second, and tried again... it caught that time.

Drove to the dealership the next morning and left it with a description of the problem.
They called back today and said they couldn't replicate the issue, so they don't think anything is wrong with it.

Can anyone (maybe one of the Kia service guys?) give me some advice on what to say to them to bring their attention to this known issue?

I'm not super excited about driving a ticking time bomb 70 miles a day on the highway, especially given some of the other posters here who posted about the exact same issues, and then a week later post again as they're waiting for the tow truck...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, "good thing" I found this forum thread, I guess?

2020 Soul EX, about 18,000 miles. RPMs started surging a bit while I was driving to work over a couple days. About 70 miles a day highway.
A couple days ago it was doing it about 50% of the total time on the drive home, and then when I hit the exit ramp it spiked to >5k RPM without any acceleration, but then caught again a second later.

Half a mile down the road from there, RPMs spiked without any acceleration trying to get going from a stop light. Let off the gas, waited a second, and tried again... it caught that time.

Drove to the dealership the next morning and left it with a description of the problem.
They called back today and said they couldn't replicate the issue, so they don't think anything is wrong with it.

Can anyone (maybe one of the Kia service guys?) give me some advice on what to say to them to bring their attention to this known issue?

I'm not super excited about driving a ticking time bomb 70 miles a day on the highway, especially given some of the other posters here who posted about the exact same issues, and then a week later post again as they're waiting for the tow truck...
That sounds similar to what happened with mine but it didn't straighten out. I'm not a mechanic but I think they can pull the logs of that stuff off the computer? I sure as heck wouldn't leave without them fixing it. Calling corporate might help as well. The dealership I bought the car from basically told me to pound sand but the dealership it was towed to was helpful. So maybe bringing it to a different dealership? Sorry you are dealing with this issue too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Heading to pick it up (maybe?) with the TSB SC199 in hand. When we spoke on the phone yesterday they didn't mention anything about this being a known issue, just said they couldn't reproduce anything "but our tech did see there's a software update so he went ahead and did that".

I'm going to make sure they are indeed aware of this TSB, and did indeed follow it in their diagnosis and remediation of this known issue...

If they followed the TSB, then I guess I'm reading the car should be maybe OK with the software update.

Fingers crossed.

EDIT:
When I brought up the TSB, the service manager showed me the records that the transmission software update had been applied in June 2020 the week before I bought the car.

Unfortunately at the time it didn't register for me that June 2020 was after the first TSB, but before the second, updated SC199 (which I think was from December 2020). So it's unknown whether this most recent mysterious "transmission software" installed on January 13, 2022 was the SC199 software, or something else. And if it is the SC199 software, I'm left wondering why it wasn't installed when I had the car in for oil changes in June 2021, or December 2021...

Anyway, it drove completely fine on the 35 miles in to work this morning. We'll see how it drives on the 35 miles home.

541 - 555 of 555 Posts