Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
521 - 540 of 555 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
I hope someday Speedkar99 gets his hands on a Hyundai/Kia IVT and tears one apart. I liked the older video of Ivan tearing apart a CVT from his wife’s Nissan Rouge. What a mess with pieces of the push belt everywhere.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
The owner that I work for owns several Nissan dealers as well including one across the street from me, they pretty much do transmissions (CVTs) all day. They do rebuild some of them in house so I have seen plenty of carnage from those.

·
Registered
2022 Soul GT
12 Posts
Why wouldn't it be fixable? Odds are the dealer does a trans swap....... slightly used for a new one.
I thought this thread was on the IVT. Isn't your 2022 trans a CVT?
Maybe we need another thread to cover this one too.o_O

Happy Holidays to you.
Tbh, I don't know if the transmission is IVT or CVT.

They're (hopefully) going to look at it today and let me know what the issue is. And no loaner 🤨

·
Registered
706 Posts
Tbh, I don't know if the transmission is IVT or CVT.

They're (hopefully) going to look at it today and let me know what the issue is. And no loaner 🤨
IVT (Intelligent Variable Transmission) is Hyundai’s fancy word for CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission).

If they have to replace the transmission, they may have the car for a while. Insist on a loaner. They should give you one.

Reactions: westslope

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
When will they ever get it? There is NO CVT in a Gen-3 Soul. Since 2020 it's all IVT, period!
CVT is a whole different mechanism, controlled by centrifugal force, not by a Computer, like the IVT....Old School too. I drove one once, and it was Nothing like my 2020 Soul with the IVT. Ever hear about the old Rubber Band effect? I'm pretty sure that at least one person on this forum knows what I'm talking about. ?

Cheers Mates,
:cool:

Flower Plant Building Petal House

·
Registered
706 Posts
You can call it Gods gift to the transmission. It’s still a continuously variable transmission. That’s a fact, jack.

·
Registered
706 Posts
He keeps confusing an automotive CVT with a CVT that you would find in ATVs and snowmobiles and there’s no telling him that he is wrong. 🙄

Nissan, Honda, Toyota, Subaru, Mitsubishi use CVTs too. Do you actually think they are not computer controlled? Nissan calls their CVT the Xtronic. Xtronic, get it, like electronic. Subaru calls theirs the Lineartronic. It’s just a name. 😎

Reactions: Yael

·
Registered
301 Posts
All CVT and IVT transmissions are the same in that they’re never disengaged from the engine regardless of rpm or if the shift lever allows “upshifting/downshifting.” However, simplistically so to speak, CVTs typically target a specific rpm range for accelerating and remain in it until the throttle is reduced or increased. And the rpm drop/increase is in a linear manner. In IVTs, the rpms are automatically varied during light/medium/hard acceleration simulating the feel of gear shifts. The “intelligent” function is when the trans determines the appropriate moment for increasing or decreasing the “gear ratio” and changing the rpm. And as the vehicle is slowed/rpm decrease, the IVT trans simulates switching to lower “gears” which continues to give the driver that feeling of gears. (I welcome comments as this is the best I can offer.)

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I may well be the first one on this forum to actually own a CVT. It was in my Harley Davidson Topper motor scooter, circa 1960. Yup, that was 61 years ago. I worked on it, and knew exactly what made it tic.

I don't know about yours, but my IVT is NOT Constantly Variable like the one in that Topper. Or even like the one in the 2010 Suzuki SX4 that I drove, with a CVT.
That was a true CVT, with literally NO shift points, and it did have the ol' Rubber Band feel.
I can lock my IVT in one gear, or force it to change gears, or stop the change, or let it change only when the tach hits the Rev Limiter. Or I can even shift it into Overdrive (8th gear). CVT? NO, it's not.
Those who think it is, are just not paying attention.
Sorry about that! I'm not ready to teach a course in IVT 101. :ROFLMAO:
But, go ahead and call it whatever you like, I still love mine, and what she can do for me.

Happy Holidays, Mates!
FLH :cool:

·
Registered
706 Posts
I think other manufacturers are adding in “simulated gear shifts” too. I would prefer that if I owned a car with a CVT. I drove an older Sentra and didn’t like how the rpm’s are high as the car speed catches up. I guess that’s referred to the rubber band effect. The 2020 Accent, it’s first year with a CVT, I had as a rental was much smoother. They did a good job with the IVT. Now they just have to make it so it lasts a long time.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I may well be the first one on this forum to actually own a CVT. It was in my Harley Davidson Topper motor scooter, circa 1960. Yup, that was 61 years ago. I worked on it, and knew exactly what made it tic.

I don't know about yours, but my IVT is NOT Constantly Variable like the one in that Topper. Or even like the one in the 2010 Suzuki SX4 that I drove, with a CVT.
That was a true CVT, with literally NO shift points, and it did have the ol' Rubber Band feel.
I can lock my IVT in one gear, or force it to change gears, or stop the change, or let it change only when the tach hits the Rev Limiter. Or I can even shift it into Overdrive (8th gear). CVT? NO, it's not.
Those who think it is, are just not paying attention.
Sorry about that! I'm not ready to teach a course in IVT 101. :ROFLMAO:
But, go ahead and call it whatever you like, I still love mine, and what she can do for me.

Happy Holidays, Mates!
You can listen to bwdz, a Kia tech, and learn how the transmission in your car works. Or you can use your 60 year old example of a motorcycle.

Everybody knows you are an impossible person to reason with so I’m not going to argue with you about it anymore. Cheers! 😎

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
All CVT and IVT transmissions are the same in that they’re never disengaged from the engine regardless of rpm or if the shift lever allows “upshifting/downshifting.” However, simplistically so to speak, CVTs typically target a specific rpm range for accelerating and remain in it until the throttle is reduced or increased. And the rpm drop/increase is in a linear manner. In IVTs, the rpms are automatically varied during light/medium/hard acceleration simulating the feel of gear shifts. The “intelligent” function is when the trans determines the appropriate moment for increasing or decreasing the “gear ratio” and changing the rpm. And as the vehicle is slowed/rpm decrease, the IVT trans simulates switching to lower “gears” which continues to give the driver that feeling of gears. (I welcome comments as this is the best I can offer.)
Close, but I'll withhold the Cigar. :ROFLMAO"
Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate your input.
But, all arguments aside, I still want to make it Plain, that I love my little 2020 Soul LX with IVT.
She gives me excellent performance, very good MPG, and she looks good too. My only fault with her
is that she has a bad habit of giggling. :ROFLMAO:

Happy Holidays, Mates!

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
8,132 Posts
It's easy to remember, an IVT is just a CVT with attitude :sneaky:

Reactions: rhysoul

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I admire bwdz75 for his willingness to add professional input to this forum. We need that, but I don't remember if he ever said that he actually took an IVT apart to see what makes it tic, or repaired one.
But, I do remember him telling us that he's swapped out a few. Even just swapping one, does require a certain amount of technical expertise.
It's probably more of doing what one is told to do, and paid to do, than what a person would like to do. Eh?
Been there and done that. In my past employments, I always hated just swapping out a part, that I
knew dang well I could repair. But my boss said, "swap it" so I swapped it. And, sometimes I'd take that part back to the shop, and repair it, so I could use it again, and save my company money.

In two cases that come to mind, I went out to repair a very important machine that had a broken part, and it was a part that was critical for the machine to run. Replacement parts were days away and also very expensive.
So in both cases, I repaired that part and had the machine back up and running in just hours, instead of days or weeks. It's what I love to do.

Oh well, I'm sure if I died tomorrow, the IVT vs CVT argument would go on.
I only regret that I would not be here to see it.

Wishing y'all a very Happy Holidays!

·
Registered
2022 Soul GT
12 Posts
Here's my update, and I'm not happy.

The transmission needs to be replaced, apparently they found metal flakes in the transmission fluid and on some sensor and that's how they know it's bad. No clue as to why or how it happened.

And is my brand new car getting a new transmission? Nope! I'm getting a fcking refurbished trans because that's "Kia's policy". WTAF?

The good news is that I should have my car back next week and they are providing me with a loaner.

My first - and last - Kia.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I wouldn't want to be quoted as saying you're lucky, but maybe you are.
If done properly, and we always trust that they are, refurbished parts can exceed new part quality and reliability. And if installed properly, you should experience NO MORE transmission problems.
Good Luck, and Happy Holidays,

·
Registered
2022 Soul GT
12 Posts
If done properly, and we always trust that they are, refurbished parts can exceed new part quality and reliability. And if installed properly, you should experience NO MORE transmission problems.
You think? I hope you're right, because I really do love the car. Thanks and happy holidays to you 😊

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I agree, especially in this case. When some older automotive components are refurbished you would be getting an old case with new internals but these transmissions are pretty new so you are getting a pretty new unit with new internals and all new update components. Consider that a lot of these transmissions failed very early with many below 5k miles, I have personally replaced over 50 of them. I have yet to replace one of the remanufactured units and many of them have been out there for well over a year so I think the reliability is very good on those so far.

521 - 540 of 555 Posts