Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
501 - 520 of 555 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
8,132 Posts
Here we go again! Now at all of 7600 miles on our 2020 LX and the replacement IVT just went out. Same failure modes exactly as when the original went. That makes it just about exactly 1 year on the original (software update done) and exactly 1 year on the replacement. 3800 miles on each. Parked on the street in front of the house with a call in to the dealers service rep. Makes both my 1992 Dodge caravan and my 2005 Honda Element look like champs! The sOUL is a great car -when it runs- Weighing options, none great.
Marv that Soul has some bad juju going on. Hopefully 3rd engine is a charm?
Smile Hairstyle Eye Automotive design Car

·
Registered
2022 Soul LX, IVT
73 Posts
@GeoSoul Don't know if I have enough patience to wait for the charm :confused: There is a 2022 mars orange soul at the dealer. I may talk about that. For what Jane wants there isn't much out there, especially right now. They're coming to get the 2020 tomorrow AM and she's all cleaned up and out -except the IVT- Guess we'll see. At any rate Jane likes our 1992 Caravan (my wood-hauler) and it's fine for sub-100 mile trips. Bluebird is its' moniker.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
@GeoSoul Don't know if I have enough patience to wait for the charm :confused: There is a 2022 mars orange soul at the dealer. I may talk about that. For what Jane wants there isn't much out there, especially right now. They're coming to get the 2020 tomorrow AM and she's all cleaned up and out -except the IVT- Guess we'll see. At any rate Jane likes our 1992 Caravan (my wood-hauler) and it's fine for sub-100 mile trips. Bluebird is its' moniker.
I don't blame you Marv. I like your thought process on the 2022 Mars Orange Soul. Hopefully they've had time to eliminate the issues on the earlier IVT's.

Please keep us posted on your outcome.

·
Registered
2022 Soul LX, IVT
73 Posts
I don't blame you Marv. I like your thought process on the 2022 Mars Orange Soul. Hopefully they've had time to eliminate the issues on the earlier IVT's.

Please keep us posted on your outcome.
Well, we did it. The 2020 rests with the dealer waiting a transmission and the 2022 Mars Red is in the driveway. SSD bars, Weathertech mats, and the rigid cargo board stay with us. The tire swap got overly complicated so new General Altimax RT43s are on. I HOPE it's the charm. I tried to sell my wife a really clean older Subaru Forester with perfect service records, headgaskets and timing belt just done, but she was glued to a Soul. Her car, I very seldom drive it so...

Wheel Car Tire Automotive parking light Land vehicle

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
That's a great looking Soul marv. Congrats to you & the wife!

Reactions: nevets2968

·
Registered
2022 Soul GT
12 Posts
I'm sitting here waiting for a tow truck to pick up my brand new 2022 Soul GT to take it to the dealership.

I'm lucky that I wasn't killed tonight. I was driving home from work on the interstate when the car started feeling weird, like I could feel a very faint but rhythmic revving - I was going approx 70mph, so I took it out of sport mode and didn't notice a difference, the rpms weren't bouncing around, so I wasn't sure what was going on. I exited the freeway at my exit and that's when the real trouble began. It lost power and it felt as if it were stuck in 1st gear when I applied the gas. I couldn't go faster than 20mph, because even at that low speed, the rpms were up around 4-5k and it would shudder when I came to a stop. I was freaking out, like WTF is wrong with my new car? It only has about 4300 miles on it (purchased in Sept)! I've owned plenty of new cars in my 40 years of driving, and I've never experienced anything like this with any other car. But then, I've never owned a Kia. And after this experience, I never will again. I drive 50 miles RT on the interstate to work and back, and I need a car that I can trust. I'm very sad, because I really loved this car and I'm terrified to take it on the freeway ever again.

Luckily, I limped it home, as I only had a couple miles to my house and Kia is sending out a tow truck. The app lists a diagnostic issue of P073000 which means transmission, but idk any more than that. I'm just thoroughly disgusted and angry right now - and kicking myself for not buying another Ford.

Tl;dr: Kia didn't fix whatever transmission issues their cars have obviously been having for awhile.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
I'm sitting here waiting for a tow truck to pick up my brand new 2022 Soul GT to take it to the dealership.

I'm lucky that I wasn't killed tonight. I was driving home from work on the interstate when the car started feeling weird, like I could feel a very faint but rhythmic revving - I was going approx 70mph, so I took it out of sport mode and didn't notice a difference, the rpms weren't bouncing around, so I wasn't sure what was going on. I exited the freeway at my exit and that's when the real trouble began. It lost power and it felt as if it were stuck in 1st gear when I applied the gas. I couldn't go faster than 20mph, because even at that low speed, the rpms were up around 4-5k and it would shudder when I came to a stop. I was freaking out, like WTF is wrong with my new car? It only has about 4300 miles on it (purchased in Sept)! I've owned plenty of new cars in my 40 years of driving, and I've never experienced anything like this with any other car. But then, I've never owned a Kia. And after this experience, I never will again. I drive 50 miles RT on the interstate to work and back, and I need a car that I can trust. I'm very sad, because I really loved this car and I'm terrified to take it on the freeway ever again.

Luckily, I limped it home, as I only had a couple miles to my house and Kia is sending out a tow truck. The app lists a diagnostic issue of P073000 which means transmission, but idk any more than that. I'm just thoroughly disgusted and angry right now - and kicking myself for not buying another Ford.

Tl;dr: Kia didn't fix whatever transmission issues their cars have obviously been having for awhile.
And you decided to join a forum and write about it while you are waiting for a tow truck? That is some dedication good person.

·
Registered
2022 Soul GT
12 Posts
Interesting. I had a 2013 Escape, on a lease, which had an ecoboost engine - and it did overheat one time for no reason about a year after I had it. Maybe that's why. It was awhile ago, so I don't remember the details. I do remember that they had the car for almost a month, but the dealer was great about giving me a loaner car for the duration. When I ended that lease, I got into a 2016 Fusion Titanium with the 2.0 and never had a problem with the engine - at least during the two years that I leased it. Maybe I would have, eventually. Ironically, I wanted to stop the lease life and decided that the Soul would be the car I bought for keeps because I liked it so much. I hope this is fixable.

Thanks for the article.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Why wouldn't it be fixable? Odds are the dealer does a trans swap....... slightly used for a new one.
I thought this thread was on the IVT. Isn't your 2022 trans a CVT?
Maybe we need another thread to cover this one too.o_O

Happy Holidays to you.

Reactions: LP48043

·
Registered
493 Posts
Why wouldn't it be fixable? Odds are the dealer does a trans swap....... slightly used for a new one.
I thought this thread was on the IVT. Isn't your 2022 trans a CVT?
Maybe we need another thread to cover this one too.o_O

Happy Holidays to you.
No the IVT is a type of CVT

Reactions: rhysoul

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought a 2022 soul Sept 30th 16 miles on it I have 3700 on it now ( traveling to see my son) and probably wont have 10K on it in 2 years. I bought it to visit my son in the military if I am not going to see him it sits in the garage. Hope this doesn't happen to mine. Sorry about your troubles.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Interesting. I had a 2013 Escape, on a lease, which had an ecoboost engine - and it did overheat one time for no reason about a year after I had it. Maybe that's why. It was awhile ago, so I don't remember the details. I do remember that they had the car for almost a month, but the dealer was great about giving me a loaner car for the duration. When I ended that lease, I got into a 2016 Fusion Titanium with the 2.0 and never had a problem with the engine - at least during the two years that I leased it. Maybe I would have, eventually. Ironically, I wanted to stop the lease life and decided that the Soul would be the car I bought for keeps because I liked it so much. I hope this is fixable.

Thanks for the article.
Scotty Kilmer - YT auto guru - said if the ecoboost engine was never pressed hard enough to open the waste gate, the gate would get stuck and cause a problem.

·
Registered
301 Posts

That P07300 seems to be too long of a code. Should be P0730 indicating an incorrect gear ratio in the trans. One issue would be the shift solenoids not working. And you're vehicle may have gone into a "limp mode" to protect the trans. Here's a bit more on that code:
P0730 OBD-II Trouble Code: Incorrect Gear Ratio (yourmechanic.com)

·
Registered
493 Posts
Kia specific codes have 6 digits if you pull them up with a KDS so it will be p073000.
I have had no problems with my 2020EX (11,000 miles to date). I was just wondering as to the types of damage to them you have seen or heard about.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I have replaced them, never seen inside one. Kia sends a new replacement and we just install it and send the old one back to be remanufactured.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I have replaced them, never seen inside one. Kia sends a new replacement and we just install it and send the old one back to be remanufactured.
Thanks. It’s a shame we‘ll never find out what the problem is/was.

501 - 520 of 555 Posts