Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

481 - 499 of 499 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Actually that’s incorrect the 2020s were cvt when they released the 2021 they went to ivt more issues then anything with cvt that’s why they went to ivt and I know this because I spoke to our salesman about all of it
So all information is incorrect even from Kia itself? You know an honest salesman is an oxymoron.

·
Registered
21 Posts
2020 Kia Soul GT with 4800 miles. Built-in August of 2019. The color is Inferno Red. Nickname is Little Red. Currently, we have no issues with it at the moment. I pretty much baby it. I drive 50% highway miles at about 70-75 mph, and the other 50% in town at 30-35 mph. My wife doesn't drive it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My parents have just rented for 60 months a Kia Soul EX 2021 equipped with the IVT transmission (no manual Soul in Canada!) and fortunately, the production date is 09/2020... :cool: . Hope they wont have any problem with it...

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2020 GT line (non turbo) just started surging and acting up today, loosing power rpm fluctuating at 17,000 miles, going to make an appointment tomorrow to get it looked at

My mom has a 2020 S trim soul at 12,000 miles and isn't having any issues

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, first post. I’ll do the intro things shortly. I’m looking at getting my daughter either a CPO ‘20 LX w/ the IVT w/ 13k miles or a brand new ‘21 LX w/ the IVT. The CPO I haven’t checked the build date, but the new one has a 1/21 build date. Is the new one a safer bet?

·
Registered
321 Posts
My 2020 GT line (non turbo) just started surging and acting up today, loosing power rpm fluctuating at 17,000 miles, going to make an appointment tomorrow to get it looked at

My mom has a 2020 S trim soul at 12,000 miles and isn't having any issues
Just asking, dit you have any of the update done that were issued June 2020 or later?

·
Registered
2021 Soul LX
44 Posts
The 2020 and 2021 are both IVT and are the same transmission, trust me, I've replaced plenty of them
Had an interest in this thread as my 2020 base soul had a minor issue. It would simply not respond to pedal input and I couldn't get the vehicle up to speed. Limped home as I was only around the corner and had towed. Dealer found nothing wrong.
I'm replying to you because I looked up my VIN number to try to find out my transmission type. According to the lookup I have a CVT transmission. Where is the best place to look this info up at to get a definitive answer?

·
Registered
993 Posts
All gen3 Souls have an IVT for an automatic. The only exception would be the turbo which has a dual clutch manual transmission except it is automated by a computer that pushes in the clutch and shifts it for you so it is also an "automatic" as it does it for you and you have no way of pushing the clutch yourself.
Your car not responding to throttle is an issue and a code would be stored in the history in the ECU or TCU.

·
Registered
2021 Soul LX
44 Posts
All gen3 Souls have an IVT for an automatic. The only exception would be the turbo which has a dual clutch manual transmission except it is automated by a computer that pushes in the clutch and shifts it for you so it is also an "automatic" as it does it for you and you have no way of pushing the clutch yourself.
Your car not responding to throttle is an issue and a code would be stored in the history in the ECU or TCU.
Appreciate the response. The dealer actually did "flash" the software or some update for the transmission issue. Only happened once.
I was asking because i'm still trying to get Kia or dealer to work with me on dumping my current vehicle off. Most of the listings for the current inventory show CVT as transmission type. So....a little confusing.
This is what Basic Info on new 2021 soul says:
TRANSMISSION: 1-Speed CVT w/OD

EDIT: took a look at the window stick and it says IVT? Oh well.....not sure how they can't get details correct. Might be this dealer I deal with.....they are about as lame as they get.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
CarmenM,
Most of the people at a dealership have no idea about the difference between a CVT and an IVT, * but our guy,
"bwdz25" is a KIA tech, and he DOES know the difference. You can take what he says as Gospel. I do!

* I've tried to explain the difference to some of the people at the dealership, like salesmen, and they just look at me,
like I just stepped off a flying saucer from Andromeda. Most sales people don't understand Technology.
They hardly understand how to make it GO! lol

I drove one car, several years ago, with a pure CVT, and it was NOT GOOD. Ever hear of the 'Rubber Band Effect' ?
The IVT is the closest thing to a real Automatic, that I've ever driven. It even has 8 speeds (gears) and an Overdrive (8th Gear). But, you have to get into Manual Shift Mode, to reach 8th gear. Try it,,,,,it's a blast!

Cheers mates!
:cool:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just asking, dit you have any of the update done that were issued June 2020 or later?
I did, and I just had to load it onto a flatbed after it started loosing power going down the highway on cruise control, no response from pedal then surged to 7000 rpm, had to have it towed 54 miles home, earliest my dealer can look at it is May 7th, hope they can get to it sooner :cry: apparently there is a recall on the ECU as well, not sure if that has something to do with it or if it killed the transmission

·
Registered
2 Posts
I agree, I just got a 2021 Soul S I had a 2017 Nissan Versa Note SV and I've been having transmissions problems since around 30,000 miles it had over 100,000 when I traded it in on the Soul. I hope that I will not happen to the Soul I've been very OCD about car maintenance I have folders of receipts from routine maintenance like oil changes, brakes, tires and CVT fluid changes and I follow the owners manual to the letter and that CVT would slip and lose power under acceleration. I just hope that my new Soul will not be like that.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I did, and I just had to load it onto a flatbed after it started loosing power going down the highway on cruise control, no response from pedal then surged to 7000 rpm, had to have it towed 54 miles home, earliest my dealer can look at it is May 7th, hope they can get to it sooner :cry: apparently there is a recall on the ECU as well, not sure if that has something to do with it or if it killed the transmission
What was the result ? Has it been resolved?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I guess we were lucky with my wife's 2020 LX. Her transmission had to be replaced at 24,000. Just starting surging rpms on the highway with cruise control on. It took them a month and a half - two months to replace it due to shortages of the tranmission and KIA got hacked during that timeframe. Mid-January - mid March. They gave us a loaner car for the whole time...

481 - 499 of 499 Posts