Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

461 - 479 of 479 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Haven't had one fail that has the update just yet. For the poster asking how to find out just call your dealer with the VIN number and they can tell you if update has been done or if it needs one.

·
Registered
2021 KIA Soul X-Line Neptune Blue w/Black Top. Vehicle Build Date 10/2020, purchased 12/30/2020.
24 Posts
Haven't had one fail that has the update just yet. For the poster asking how to find out just call your dealer with the VIN number and they can tell you if update has been done or if it needs one.
So in your opinion do you think this was a purely an IVT firmware oops or a combination of firmware/hardware.

Not to put 'words in your mouth', but I thought I read on one of your posts that the part numbers were different on the replacement IVTs, when you had to do a replacement as per the most recent TSB SC199 document. This makes me think there was a part update and or these are re-man IVTs that are being used as replacements. Actually not a bad thing if they are re-mans.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, just trying to understand the problem. I'm a retired Senior Systems Test Engineer, so I'm fully aware that all manufactured items are a collection of compromises to gain maximum profits!

I recently purchased 2 2021 Soul X-Lines. One built 10/20 purchased 12-30-2020 and the other built 4/20 purchased 01/05/2021. I made the dealer run a warranty check to get the build date for the one built 4/20 and it came back as a build date of; 4/27/2020. I've been researching several inexpensive vehicles for months and the Soul's are the biggest bang for the buck. However once I read about the IVT issue and read the TSB documents, I convinced myself if I avoided the 4/17/2020 end build date, as posted on all of the TSB IVT documents, then I would be OK.

Thoughts? And thanks for your insightful posts!

·
Registered
537 Posts
Some are brand new and some are remanufactured. I don't know that there actually is a difference we just often have a different part number when there is a recall that we have to use and that's on many different parts but that doesn't mean they are different it just they could be different. Sometimes it's just in the logistics process as a recall part is going to be stocked different throughout the country as they anticipate a large amount to be replaced so it might get a different part number just for the logistics, I'm totally speculating as that's far above my pay grade.

·
Registered
2021 KIA Soul X-Line Neptune Blue w/Black Top. Vehicle Build Date 10/2020, purchased 12/30/2020.
24 Posts
Some are brand new and some are remanufactured. I don't know that there actually is a difference we just often have a different part number when there is a recall that we have to use and that's on many different parts but that doesn't mean they are different it just they could be different. Sometimes it's just in the logistics process as a recall part is going to be stocked different throughout the country as they anticipate a large amount to be replaced so it might get a different part number just for the logistics, I'm totally speculating as that's far above my pay grade.
Thanks for the reply, I'll keep watching for updates!

Both of my '21 Soul X-Lines have the 100K extended platinum warranty. So I will need to keep the tools away from them until the warranties expire! When I purchase new vehicles with warranties, I let the purchasing dealer service them until the warranties expire.

Only thing that seems to be constant, with the IVT problem, is the end build dates. If I'm not mistaken there were 5 TSB documents last of what was issued was SC199, on 12/2/2020 or on there about. Three vehicles that had the IVT issue in question with the Soul having an end build date of 4-17-2020, that has stayed consistent across all of the TSB documents.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I once bought a 1977 Oldsmobile Toronado XS Brougham. It was a fabulous car. Luxury plus. And with a huge engine, capable of some great performance. But, it had the very first Computer (ECC) that GM ever put on a BIG V-8 engine.
And they never got the programming right. It would take a factory trained technician 2 hours, just to set the timing.
But try as they may, and they did try, they could never stop that engine from Knocking, on anything less than 100+ octane fuel. My fix for the problem was to trade that car off for a Dodge Caravan, with a Mitsubishi engine. Dang that van ran good!

So, when good hardware is dependent on questionable software, buyer beware.
I've never had ANY problems with my own IVT, but I got the software upgrade just as soon as it became available.
Now at more than 18,000 miles, she's still running GREAT!

A true CVT works off of the engine RPM, but an IVT works off of the TCC (transmission control computer).
It's a whole different ball game. A few misplaced bits in the program can make for big problems.
I've done some computer programming myself, in my past, so I understand the problems that can arise.

WE must all be sure that we keep our Souls up to date, with the very latest Software Updates.

Cheers Mates!
FLH :cool:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am now at 36k miles on my 2020 Model S and while the rear brakes needed replacing today along with the oil change so far so good.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I would have to echo the comment by vindex1963.
If the braking system is working properly, the rear brakes on a Soul should not need replacing till somewhere OVER 50,000 miles. Are the front brakes even Working? Maybe NOT! I'd check on that.
I put new front shoes (Wagner Ceramics) on my 2013 Soul at about 60k, and the back shoes were still good.

Speaking of what's ridiculous, until just recently, Rock Auto was showing several different brands of rear brake shoes for the 2020 Soul, but none for the front. WTF? Even "Wagner"* was showing nothing for the front of the 2020 Soul, in their own catalog.
* Wagner is a major manufacturer of brakes and replacement brake parts.

Cheers Mates,

·
Registered
28 Posts
I would have to echo the comment by vindex1963.
If the braking system is working properly, the rear brakes on a Soul should not need replacing till somewhere OVER 50,000 miles. Are the front brakes even Working? Maybe NOT! I'd check on that.
I put new front shoes (Wagner Ceramics) on my 2013 Soul at about 60k, and the back shoes were still good.

Speaking of what's ridiculous, until just recently, Rock Auto was showing several different brands of rear brake shoes for the 2020 Soul, but none for the front. WTF? Even "Wagner"* was showing nothing for the front of the 2020 Soul, in their own catalog.
* Wagner is a major manufacturer of brakes and replacement brake parts.

Cheers Mates,
Sounds like a stuck caliper, or the mechanic needed to make a house payment!

·
Registered
537 Posts
Sounds like a stuck caliper, or the mechanic needed to make a house payment!
It sure does but if he is in a cold weather salt using state what I find is the pads themselves get seized in the hardware or the pad material breaks off from the backing due to corrosion, seen this on dozens of Gen2 but haven't come across on a Gen3

·
Registered
537 Posts
You should go through 2 sets of front to one set rear. Front brakes handle 70% braking and 30% rear.
Fronts are larger and vented discs while rears are small with solid discs, most Souls are ready for front and rear not that far apart. In mixed driving 45-50k is where I see the most but I have done them on cars that are older and only driven short distances at lower mileage. I even did one at 107k on original brakes but that was a salesman who drove lots of highway miles.

·
Registered
461 Posts
@bwdz75 and all,

Is there any tendency for the Soul brakes to gum up and stick before the pads and rotors are worn? In other words, should those of us who do-it-ourselves dismantle the brakes, remove corrosion, caked dirt, etc., and re-lube the caliper pins once we get past 40K miles or some other benchmark distance and/or year?

Slotted discs. The conventional wisdom in 4X4 world is to avoid slotted rotors/disks. Is there any reason why Soul owners should avoid solid rotors or are they still a good option?

We certainly do not off-road the low clearance Soul but during the winter months fine gravel is generously dumped on our roads -- which is a good thing to the extent that far less salt is used. The fine gravel still has the potential to mess up the brakes.

Finally, for brakes, either OEM or aftermarket, what are the best components that money can buy for the brakes fore and aft -- for mixed driving? Or if there are lots of acceptable options, are there any options should we carefully avoid?

Example: coated rotors. Many have lamented that they flake after a while.

·
Registered
537 Posts
The rear pads on gen2 often get stuck in the hardware in salty states don't see too many problems with the fronts. For pads I like OEM or Wagner. I'm very against using slotted or drilled rotors on street vehicles and track vehicles for that matter unless you go with Brembo or something that's not Chinese garbage rotors with holes in them that are pro e to cracking. Biggest disadvantages of drilled amd slotted rotors: #1 if they run cooler it would be hard to get heat into them getting off the highway, heat is what stops you, it would be hard to see any benefit in non track racing driving. #2 where rainy or snowy weather, they get noisy and it take a little more dragging to clean the water off the surface between rotor and pad and some of that moisture is in the holes and keeps getting on the pad surface.
If you know anyone that has slotted and drilled rotors just wet the car with a hose, wash the wheels for him and then take a slow drive, stop from 3 to 5 mph a couple of times and see what they sound like and how long it takes before they're back to normal. On regular rotors it just takes like a tiny drag and they're cleaned off.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Thanks bwdz75. Vented rotors refer to the rotor casting type. Got it.

Man, there is a lot of confusing and contradictory information on rotors out there. For example, Rockauto.com lists the most expensive rotors as "Performance (Improved Stopping Power)". They are all drilled and slotted. I could readily imagine an uninformed vehicle owner concerned with safety buying these.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Thanks bwdz75. Vented rotors refer to the rotor casting type. Got it.

Man, there is a lot of confusing and contradictory information on rotors out there. For example, Rockauto.com lists the most expensive rotors as "Performance (Improved Stopping Power)". They are all drilled and slotted. I could readily imagine an uninformed vehicle owner concerned with safety buying these.
Yeah right next to the performance giant wing spoilers that add such great benefits of downforce on street cars that never see a track.
The major reason companies like Porsche drilled their rotors was for the weight savings of unsprung and rotational weight when their rotors got ro such large diameters that it was slowing the car down. I know some people that race circle track and they will tell you there's a huge difference if you go to a wheel that is 2lbs lighter because it's rotating weight.

461 - 479 of 479 Posts