Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

441 - 460 of 499 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Wow, can you list the issues besides the obvious transmission which we all know about. I haven't heard or seen any other issues.
I believe my issues all stem from mechanic at dealer falsifying pre delivery inspection.
Car showed no oil at 3800 mile, oil light never came on. This caused camshaft and upper end to be replaced. Then car would just die in traffic, sensors had to be replaced could never drive it over 15 mile. Finally at 4800 mile dealership drove it 500 mile before returning car to us. Then transmission at 7065. Red White GT probably must beautiful Soul made so sad.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Everybody. This is Chris in Arizona. I own a 2020 Kia Soul Lx. I drive a long commute for work on most days. So far I’ve put 37,000 miles on my Soul. Last week the transmission started slipping. I took the vehicle to the dealer and they told me it was the computer. I knew that wasn’t right because I’ve had transmission problems with other vehicles in the past. Anyway, I didn’t gripe and I just went to the dealer to pick up the vehicle. On the way home the transmission started slipping again, then it lost all power to the wheels. Pulled off the side of the road and the vehicle was in 5th gear and no downshifts happening. Drove her home in 5th gear (very dangerous). Made it home. Towed the vehicle to the dealer and Kia replaced the transmission at no cost to me. My only concern is that, since this is the same part, this new transmission is probably not going to last. Since I still have many, many payments left on the vehicle I’m stuck in a real pickle because there’s no way to get out of this vehicle without taking an enormous loss. My advice to you is that you should change your driving habits with this vehicle and drive it like it’s fragile because it is. Don’t drive with Cruise Control over the speed of let’s say 75 miles per hour. Any downshifting under acceleration is really going to test the durability of your transmission. Anyway, I’m sorry to tell you this. This transmission is totally junk. I’m not an aggressive driver. The transmission is a piece of trash. Whoever designed this one is an idiot.
I'm thinking/hoping they have fixed the problem. The service bulletin says Souls built before 4/2020. If all the new transmissions had the same issue THAT would be crazy. They have to have figured out the problem by now. The started coming apart in mid 2019. I hope so anyway, mine is in shop with 1700 miles on it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I believe my issues all stem from mechanic at dealer falsifying pre delivery inspection.
Car showed no oil at 3800 mile, oil light never came on. This caused camshaft and upper end to be replaced. Then car would just die in traffic, sensors had to be replaced could never drive it over 15 mile. Finally at 4800 mile dealership drove it 500 mile before returning car to us. Then transmission at 7065. Red White GT probably must beautiful Soul made so sad.
Time for lemon law, Get a new one.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I go in Friday for the 2 TSB updates. Here goes nothing! LOL

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Okay, new news. Checked with dealership the update had been completed before I bought the car. 2nd..they now tell me back order on the transmission, it will be some time in March!!!

·
Registered
2021 KIA Soul X-Line Neptune Blue w/Black Top. Vehicle Build Date 10/07/2020, purchased 12/30/2020.
88 Posts
Okay, new news. Checked with dealership the update had been completed before I bought the car. 2nd..they now tell me back order on the transmission, it will be some time in March!!!
That' is a while to wait. I hope they put you in a loaner vehicle. I looked back at your previous posts and did not notice if you posted the build date of your vehicle. Was it before 4/20?

·
Registered
18 Posts
That' is a while to wait. I hope they put you in a loaner vehicle. I looked back at your previous posts and did not notice if you posted the build date of your vehicle. Was it before 4/20?
I don't know, it's in the dealership 120 miles away. I've been to lazy to look it up. I'm currently in a rental that I'm paying for. They are going to reimburse me and start paying directly to Enterprise. My wife is now getting upset, it has been inconvenience and interesting story, but is now going to be over 60 days in the shop before we get it back.

·
Registered
2021 KIA Soul X-Line Neptune Blue w/Black Top. Vehicle Build Date 10/07/2020, purchased 12/30/2020.
88 Posts
I don't know, it's in the dealership 120 miles away. I've been to lazy to look it up. I'm currently in a rental that I'm paying for. They are going to reimburse me and start paying directly to Enterprise. My wife is now getting upset, it has been inconvenience and interesting story, but is now going to be over 60 days in the shop before we get it back.
That's sad. I hope they get you fixed up soon. Maybe a call to KIA might get you fixed a little sooner.

From what I've read from Kia's TSBs and their dealer notification communications, parts might be a bit slow to dealers.

·
Registered
18 Posts
That's sad. I hope they get you fixed up soon. Maybe a call to KIA might get you fixed a little sooner.

From what I've read from Kia's TSBs and their dealer notification communications, parts might be a bit slow to dealers.

I am now dealing with

I'm now dealing with Kia customer service representative. She told me today backordered on transmissions...and told me March. Will check back with me in 3 weeks!!....I'm still cool with it, but certainly concerned.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had same problem 7 to 10 weeks called KIA corporate had mine fixed in 10 days.
I am now dealing with

I'm now dealing with Kia customer service representative. She told me today backordered on transmissions...and told me March. Will check back with me in 3 weeks!!....I'm still cool with it, but certainly concerned.
Call 800-333-4542 tell them your situation and ask KIA call dealer that expedited my transmission by 9 weeks.
Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
At only 1700 miles, the right thing to do would be for the dealership to eat the cost of the rental out of the box, or put you in a dealer loaner gratis -- but we all know the chances of that are slim. The really right thing to do would be for the dealer to put you in a new Soul of your choosing, and get you out of the first one at no charge -- again, no real chance of that unfortunately. Not sure if/how KIA corporate controls/ties the hands of its dealerships to limit what they can do in situations like yours. Hopefully it's resolved to your satisfaction soon.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
At only 1700 miles, the right thing to do would be for the dealership to eat the cost of the rental out of the box, or put you in a dealer loaner gratis -- but we all know the chances of that are slim. The really right thing to do would be for the dealer to put you in a new Soul of your choosing, and get you out of the first one at no charge -- again, no real chance of that unfortunately. Not sure if/how KIA corporate controls/ties the hands of its dealerships to limit what they can do in situations like yours. Hopefully it's resolved to your satisfaction soon.
Dealership are privately owned and have a franchise agreement to sell and service products by Kia. Of course they can go above and beyond on their own dime but typically they will adhere to what Kia asks or requires. The situation for rental cars and loaners is hampered by Covid right now as vehicles are not available and cannot just be handed from person to person and that is causing the problem

·
Registered
150 Posts
I got my updates and service done. The trans seems to shift much better and doesn't start off in 4th gear (band) from a stop. I guess I'll see what happens. I need to find out the build date on it. 31k miles so far.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well..it happened. 9k miles and the transmission light came on. We own the 2020 Kia Soul Ex and we love.....love our baby, but I just looked up transmission issues with the 2020 soul and I'm scared now.. I will find out when I take her in for check up. Even though I just got a check up like a month and a half ago🤔.........feeling some type of way.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My wife's 2020 Soul Ex has 24,000 miles on it and first we got the surging RPM problem so we took it to the dealer. They tried to do an update but it was already updated. Then when we were driving it home the Transmission Position indicator in the Instrument cluster started flashing. We took it back and they said it may need a new transmission. I had to fight for a loaner vehicle that evening, they were waiting on Techline to reply on the issue. I did get a loaner vehicle that night after talking to the General manager at the dealer. The next day they said the transmission was bad an had to be replaced. They also said that they would have to ship a transmission from Korea and that would take at least 8 days. But the tech said they were "severely" backlogged on transmissions and they did not know when they will get a new one. I told my wife, she puts about 1500 miles a month on her car, that as log as we have the loaner car, it was miles she wasn't putting on her car. As long as I have the loaner vehicle, no big deal...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Was having some problems with my IVT (hesitation and odd shifting). Took it to KIA to have them check it out. Originally they said it was normal but I figured okay, I'll just drive it until it fails, I know what a failing transmission feels like as I've had more than my fair share go on previous vehicles. While I was there, decided to have them perform an oil change since it has almost been a year and they recommended it. Before the oil change was finished one of the servicemen there came and said, "Well,we just heard back from KIA and we're just going to replace it." Gave me a rental car and said it would be about a week. Left my car on a Thursday and they called me on Tuesday morning to say it was ready. Actually a rather painless procedure. Mileage was 3200 when it went.
This is very interesting! My 2020 LX is an IVT with a little over 3200 miles. About 2 weeks ago it started hesitating and just a couple of days later stalling when taking slow turns. I took it to the dealer and they couldn't reproduce the issue or get any error code. I was not pleased.

Just a couple of days later it began to get worse and almost every time I took a slow turn it would hiccup or stall. The final grain was the day that I had already decided to take it in. I had a Doctor's appointment and the parking structure has a huge long ramp. The Soul turned off twice! This time I was able to reproduce the issue, because when I turned into the Service "tent" the car shut off.

They called me back two days later and they told me that it was a transmission "software" issue. They told me that they had "reprogrammed" it. O was not thrilled with the explanation, but since I picked it up it has been riding fine.

I just don't know how there would be a software problem, unless there was some sort of hardware problem. After all the car is a close system. It's not like I'm messing with the programming or flashing any new instructions. I guess I should be watchful and prepare for the possibility that I may eventually need a replacement.

Thanks for "listening"

·
Registered
15 Posts
I guess we were lucky. My wife's 2020 Soul had 24000+ miles on it when we took it to the dealership 3 weeks ago. And the dealership has no idea when they will get another transmission for it. But my wife puts 1500 -2000 miles a month on her car, so now she is putting that mileage on a loaner car from the dealership...

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have recently purchased a used Soul 2020 LX w/automatic with 9,000 on it. Is there somewhere I can go to to see the history of this vehicle, dealership/ Carmax?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Our 21 had a complete transmission failure at 2500 miles and has been in the shop for over a month with no ETA on a transmission. I'm close to figuring out who to talk to to just lemon it.

441 - 460 of 499 Posts