Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

21 - 40 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
One other question - for those with IVT problems, how do you use the transmission? Do you for example use Sport Mode (if equipped) often? How about manual shifting mode? Are you and aggressive driver or a passive driver or something in between?

I drive mine like I stole it most of the time, use Sport Mode often, manual mode sometimes (on long highway drives to access the magic "8th gear") and so far no problems.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
2020 EX with 4800 miles. Just had the first service yesterday. My mileage is half local short trips and half long fairly high speed (75-80mph) highway trips. No transmission issues so far. Also not my first CVT. I've had two CVT Subarus and 2 CVT Hondas. Far and away the CVT in the Soul is the best performing CVT I've owned. Let's hope this is an isolated problem due to faulty parts from one of multiple sources rather than a design defect. I have another 900 mile highway trip on Sunday, so knock on wood.
Sounds good. Enjoy your trip! I'm sure it will go fine.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Looking at NHTSA complaints and other online complaints about IVT failures, one common factor seems to be that they occur at low total miles. The 2020 KIA Souls have been available to buyers since about June of 2019. We bought ours on August 3, and are just coming up on 3000 miles on the odometer, with no IVT problems. Looking at reports from 2019 KIA Forte models, the same low mileage failures seem to be in effect. So, here's my question for this forum: How many miles are on your 2020 Soul with the IVT transmission? It's still early in the model year, but there must be many owners who have put a substantial number of miles on their Souls. Let's hear from you.
True. I saw one Canadian EX owner who has had not one but two transmission replacements in less than 5k miles (stated in km of course). On the other hand there's one thread with a US IVT owner having the "slippage problem" for the first time at 11k miles. Your point in the other thread, that the transmission has been out there longer in the Forte, and that the number of Forte failures reported to highway safety regulators isn't that high, does suggest bad batches of parts rather than a bad design. Still, you better bet I'll be scrutinizing my transmission behavior closely on my upcoming roadtrip (#3 for this Soul) from Northern California to the Palm Springs area.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I know this is ridiculous, but I have had my 2020 EX since April of this year and only have 910 miles on it. No issues at all so far. We use my wife's 2018 Soul most of the time.
Not ridiculous at all - enviable. At that pace it will last you a very long time, and that's great. I bought mine (2020 Soul EX) in September, but didn't drive it as I departed on a long series of pleasure and work-related trips (2 weeks in southern Utah offroading and doing archaeology in my other vehicle (4x4 pickup) followed by a week-long corporate/work offsite in Monterey California), so since week-2 October I've managed to rack up almost 5k miles, which puts me on a 20k+ mile per year pace.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We bought our 2020 Soul in July and have 9,500 miles on it. A couple of days ago shifting started becoming rough and we called the service department and asked if we should bring it in, all they asked was if any lights came on the dash. Last night car wouldn't shift out of first gear, shuttered and engine light came on and shut down. Very disappointing. It's our second Soul, we had a 2015 that ran perfect. Looks to be transmission on it. Hopefully once fixed we don't have this issue again .

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just added ~700 miles to mine yesterday. No issues on a harrowing drive. I witnessed multiple hydroplane spin out collisions while leaving the San Francisco Bay Area, contended with heavy rain traveling south through the northern part of the Central Valley, encountered very high cross winds through the southern part of the Central Valley heading into the mountains separating the Los Angeles basin from the Central Valley. My average speed varied by trip segment and weather. Fuel economy suffered during the windy segment as the wind vector was between headwind and crosswind. No transmission issues. Hoorah!

A couple of learning though. Using manual mode and putting the transmission in the "secret 8th pseudo-gear" did NOT achieve any better fuel economy even on flat sections than using ordinary drive mode. Now mine is an EX with "Eco-Dynamics" enhancements, rated at 2 mpg higher on the highway than other 4 cylinder IVT equipped Souls (though I can't find any clear description of what exactly Eco-Dynamics brings to the table in engineering terms).

Worth noting, Kia seems to have great confidence in the IVT. The upcoming Seltos will use it (and our 2.0 naturally aspirated motor) in the base engine/transmission combination. They have high hopes for the Seltos and were there a major flaw with the IVT, I doubt they'd spec it for the new vehicle.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Worth noting, Kia seems to have great confidence in the IVT. The upcoming Seltos will use it (and our 2.0 naturally aspirated motor) in the base engine/transmission combination. They have high hopes for the Seltos and were there a major flaw with the IVT, I doubt they'd spec it for the new vehicle.
I agree on KIA's confidence in the IVT. Since they're building it into more and more models, they must think it's going to be a mainstay for their brand. I still think the failures we've heard about are flukes, rather than something we should all worry about. Every car model and make has a few cars shipped that have problems, often at low total miles like the ones KIA is having with the IVT. There are bound to be occasional problems with any line of vehicles. I'm sorry that those who have had a transmission problem have to wait so long for a warranty replacement to happen. KIA is making just enough transmissions for their assembly line, I suppose. That's how manufacturing is these days. I hope they'll consider shipping a few replacement transmissions to the US for faster distribution when needed. I imagine they will.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,605 Posts
In all fairness, and not saying you guys are "IVT Fan Boys" (but seriously now), CVT transmissions are what pretty much EVERY major automaker is utilizing, for now, especially in smaller engines. KIA is also putting NON-IVT engines in it's finer vehicles, all GDI, the Telluride, Optima, Cadenza, Sorento, Sportage, Stinger, K900 & Sedona minivan. Would you say they have "great confidence" in this GDI format?

Whether they have great confidence in the IVT, or not, confidence doesn't remove defects. CVT transmission have their own unique set of problems & benefits. One of the biggest pluses is meeting CAFE (fleet fuel standards).

Let them work through the "bugs" in the IVT, then maybe give them a blue star for confidence. For now I'd use the term "cautious optimism" when purchasing one.

Here's an example of "great confidence" to think about: Hyundai & Kia have announced a 17 billion dollar investment in electric vehicles over the next 6 years. That is HUGE! That means NO IVT or GDI need apply in that future vision. They said that this investment will come at a cost to it's traditional vehicles (hopefully this won't be in quality) during the changeover.

·
Registered
34 Posts
In all fairness, and not saying you guys are "IVT Fan Boys" (but seriously now), CVT transmissions are what pretty much EVERY major automaker is utilizing, for now, especially in smaller engines. KIA is also putting NON-IVT engines in it's finer vehicles, all GDI, the Telluride, Optima, Cadenza, Sorento, Sportage, Stinger, K900 & Sedona minivan. Would you say they have "great confidence" in this GDI format?

Whether they have great confidence in the IVT, or not, confidence doesn't remove defects. CVT transmission have their own unique set of problems & benefits. One of the biggest pluses is meeting CAFE (fleet fuel standards).

Let them work through the "bugs" in the IVT, then maybe give them a blue star for confidence. For now I'd use the term "cautious optimism" when purchasing one.

Here's an example of "great confidence" to think about: Hyundai & Kia have announced a 17 billion dollar investment in electric vehicles over the next 6 years. That is HUGE! That means NO IVT or GDI need apply in that future vision. They said that this investment will come at a cost to it's traditional vehicles (hopefully this won't be in quality) during the changeover.
It'll be interesting to see if Kia and Hyundai replace with dual-clutch in the hybrids with the CVT, now that they've joined everyone else and also have a CVT. Companies that have CVTs and hybrids tend to put the latter in the former for improvements in fuel economy. It will also be interesting to see whether the offer AWD with the IVTs in the lower end Seltos trim levels, or rather reserve AWD for the GDI/DCT top trim.

As for "great confidence" in electrification, much like developing a CVT, Kia and Hyundai (like every other maker) have no choice. The automotive future is electric after all. That level of investment is "table stakes" for transitioning a mass market ICE vehicle company into a mass market EV company. I wonder how much of that will be investment in battery technology.

Best,

Jim

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't have a Soul, but a 2019 Forte LXS with what should be the same IVT and the 2.0L MPT Atkinson engine. It has been in the shop since 12/04/19 with a completely failed IVT. It had 1600 miles, but was an early build, it was delivered in February 2019 and I leased it in September with 27 miles on it.

I used sport mode largely to downshift going down hills, and the occasional time when I needed better response and acceleration, otherwise it spent all it's time in "Smart" mode. This is in Denver, CO so a fair amount of driving up and down hills, and plenty of traffic.

It is being warrantied, but apparently there is a backorder for the IVT from Kia, so it's sat at the dealership for almost a month now. It's interesting because in a few more days it will officially be a lemon. You'd think Kia would want to avoid that sort of thing since it can be very expensive if they have to refund or replace the car.

Otherwise, it's my first Kia, but I've been very impressed with the quality and value, not withstanding a major failure. I was easily getting 35 mpg mixed driving in Colorado. I write off the IVT failure as just usual high volume manufacturing and a brand new design. It's bound to happen and seems to be a very low percentage, which is actually really good for something of this nature and given how many of these things Kia produces in a short time, to be expected.

21 - 40 of 159 Posts