Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

361 - 374 of 374 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
You're a good son!

Does the 2020 have the adjustable steering weight like Gen 2 had (IE: comfort, normal and sport)?
All Soul trims except the LX with manual transmission (based on the Kia USA webpage specs for the 2021 models) feature "DMS" or Drive Mode Select. In the case of the EX (the trim level I have) it's just a two-setting feature - Normal and Sport - activated by pushing a button on the console rearward and slightly left of the shift lever for the IVT. Normal is, well, normal - very boosted power steering and unhurried throttle response. In Sport the steering gets heavier and throttle response more aggressive on launch and the fake "gears" are held longer between shifts while accelerating.

For steering feel DMD uses the same systems that are used by the pretty decent Lane Keep Assist system.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul LX
12 Posts
FL Hamster, that's odd reply from your dealer service that "you don't need it yet". You really should "Get 'Er Done" with the IVT software update ASAP!

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,239 Posts
All Soul trims except the LX with manual transmission (based on the Kia USA webpage specs for the 2021 models) feature "DMS" or Drive Mode Select. In the case of the EX (the trim level I have) it's just a two-setting feature - Normal and Sport - activated by pushing a button on the console rearward and slightly left of the shift lever for the IVT. Normal is, well, normal - very boosted power steering and unhurried throttle response. In Sport the steering gets heavier and throttle response more aggressive on launch and the fake "gears" are held longer between shifts while accelerating.

For steering feel DMD uses the same systems that are used by the pretty decent Lane Keep Assist system.
Thanks Astro!

On Gen2, the steering mode select only changes the steering feel (effort?), not the gearing or throttle response.

It's a nice little luxury to have. I like the "comfort" mode in city driving (reminds me of a Lincoln Town Car). On long highway drives the "Sport" is nice as it's a heavier weight. Probably "Normal" works for most people, it's well balanced.

·
Registered
2017 Base/auto, Shadow Black (Betsy)
781 Posts
Thanks Astro!

On Gen2, the steering mode select only changes the steering feel (effort?), not the gearing or throttle response.

It's a nice little luxury to have. I like the "comfort" mode in city driving (reminds me of a Lincoln Town Car). On long highway drives the "Sport" is nice as it's a heavier weight. Probably "Normal" works for most people, it's well balanced.
Gen 2.1 (2017-19), Sport mode also holds gears longer.
One of the differences I noticed between Betty (2016) & Betsy (2017).

Reactions: GeoSoul

·
Registered
104 Posts
FL Hamster, that's odd reply from your dealer service that "you don't need it yet". You really should "Get 'Er Done" with the IVT software update ASAP!
Very odd, given that every Kia IVT made since the 2019 MY "needed" the update the day it shipped from the factory. Most other companies would do a proper recall rather than hiding the ball from customers and asking dealers to fix the problem quietly when they do regular scheduled maintenance on the vehicles. Given that it affects every IVT unit made up until Kia started using updated software on new units as part of the manufacturing process, it's a recall being disguised as a TSB.

Boy the shineola will hit the fan if anyone who has defective software but services their vehicle themselves or at an indie service center as they have a right to do in the US, and has catastrohic failure on the freeway at speed causing an accident in which one or more persons are injured or killed.

1. Kia knew about the problem.
2. KIa knew the problem could cause injury or death if it manaifests on the freeway (from numerous NHTSA complaints stating things like "a semi just missed rearending me at speed when by transmission failed and I experienced sudden deceleration).
3. In a misguided effort to preserve its reputation, rather than warning these at risk customers with a formal recall accompanied by notice to each affected owner, Kia decided to hide the ball and try and fix it on the down low.

It's even more sinister when you read what FLHamster claims his dealer told him - that if a customer fails to get the TSB done and the transmission fails the customer has to pay for the new transmission. Really? Even though Kia has tried to hide the defect from customers and refuses to send active notifications to at risk customers? And given that owners have a legal right NOT to have maintenance services performed at a Kia dealership, how exactly would such customers learn of the TSB?

Nice car. Kind of lame customer relations strategy. Engaging in penny-wise but pound-foolish face saving silliness when they really should be directly notifying all IVT customers that their IVTs are defective due to a software programming error, and the result could be injury or death, so get your kiester (and your Kia) into the dealer for correction ASAP.

·
Registered
7,239 Posts
Gen 2.1 (2017-19), Sport mode also holds gears longer.
One of the differences I noticed between Betty (2016) & Betsy (2017).
That's pretty cool! Does sport mode firm up the steering? On the stick shift it mustn't have changed.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I notice the shifting, not the steering feel but I think that's just me.
Love the OM, it covers it all (it's doing things, dynamic things);

"SPORT mode focuses on dynamic driving by automatically controlling the steering wheel, engine and transaxle system."

Reactions: GeoSoul

·
Registered
7,239 Posts
I notice the shifting, not the steering feel but I think that's just me.
Love the OM, it covers it all (it's doing things, dynamic things);

"SPORT mode focuses on dynamic driving by automatically controlling the steering wheel, engine and transaxle system."
Gotta love those "dynamic things!" o_O

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
I thought about printing out the TSB, but.....it's 12 pages long. No thanks!

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Update:
I just called my dealership, and talked to my Service Writer, and again asked about the IVT update.
He said that my car has just come up on the update list for that IVT update.
I have an appointment to get the update this afternoon.
It's a 30 mile drive, but what the heck, I can always have lunch at "Cody's Roadhouse" after the update.

FLH :cool:

·
Registered
781 Posts
Update:
I just called my dealership, and talked to my Service Writer, and again asked about the IVT update.
He said that my car has just come up on the update list for that IVT update.
I have an appointment to get the update this afternoon.
It's a 30 mile drive, but what the heck, I can always have lunch at "Cody's Roadhouse" after the update.
View attachment 134756

Keep your eyes on the road
Your hands upon the wheel.
Yeah, we're going to the roadhouse,
Gonna have a real, good-time.

·
Registered
7,239 Posts
What's on the menu today at Codys?

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
As a matter of fact.....The Cody's bar menu is great. Today I had the Chicken Fingers and French Fries.
And of course, some barley pop.

I was in and out of Citrus Kia in jig time. I joked around with the top dudes about coming in for the 125 mph update, and got a good laugh.
The only downside was that they had to disconnect my Scan Gauge II, to plug in their programmer. So I had to reset the permanent setting in my Scan Gauge. NO biggie though, I've done it before.
On my way home I put the IVT through its paces, so to speak, and it performed 100% perfect. I noticed NO differences at all.
Minus some personal data, here's my receipt for the upgrade.

They always treat me as if I had bought a Ferrari instead of a meager Kia Soul.
I love those guys.
While I was in the waiting area, I talked to a really OLD guy who had gone to five KIA dealers looking for a good deal on a Soul, before finally buying one from Citrus Kia. I know the feeling. He's also a supporter of the 3K service interval. He was in for his first oil change.

Well, ya'all have a great day now, Y'hear?

361 - 374 of 374 Posts