Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

201 - 220 of 229 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
What give me miles of smiles is the hopes that my car will never require a day in the shop for a warranty claim or mechanical failure.
I.M.O. the I.V.T. will provide that over the D.C.T. but one really never knows, do one?
Again, I feel the opposite. Reliability is very important to me as well and I felt that the DCT will be better in that regard. Having owned dual clutch before helps.
Time will tell. I hope we’re both proven right.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Y'all are driving me crazy. I just NOW called my dealership and talked to my guy in the service dept. I asked him if he's seen any IVT failures on the Soul, and as expected, his answer was "NO!".

And, as I've said before, my personal experience is all GOOD with my own IVT, which in many ways beats the six speed AT that I had on my 2013 Soul. The IVT won't let me start off in second gear, but other than that little difference, it's a keeper.

:cool:

·
Registered
767 Posts
Y'all are driving me crazy. I just NOW called my dealership and talked to my guy in the service dept. I asked him if he's seen any IVT failures on the Soul, and as expected, his answer was "NO!".

And, as I've said before, my personal experience is all GOOD with my own IVT, which in many ways beats the six speed AT that I had on my 2013 Soul. The IVT won't let me start off in second gear, but other than that little difference, it's a keeper.

You realize your dealer represents a data point of one, which statistically is meaningless.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
126 Posts
On a side note, Toyota has begun using a CVT with a traditional first "launch" gear. It's suppose to get rid of the rubber band feel when taking off and reduces overall wear on the transmission.
Gosh dangit I wish Kia would do this! I absolutely can't stand the feel of the trans, but you know this abkut me already LOL. I have taken off from a stop and in auto mode and quickly switched to manual mode to see the gear.....yeah, 4th gear!!!! No wonder the feel and performance is terrible. My solution?? I drive it in manual mode when I drive it and my wife does the same. It will downshift on its own and guarantees starting in 1st, as it should on its own anyways. No troubles yet, but I am a later build and I am at 20k miles. We shall see.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
I really can’t complain about cvt’s, i rather like them. I think we are somewhat biased by the fact that for decades we been driving cars with separate gear and having the feel as You shift or the transmission sifts them. I like the smoothness of the cvt. In my admittedly brief experience with my Soul EX, I’ve found it to be one of the nicest around. So far, it’s been responsive and smooth. I get better gas mileage with this than I did in my prior Kia a 2011 Forte EX which had the six speed auto. And this has a lot more room in it for a 6’7” guy with a 6’8” son when he rides in the back seat.

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
Compared to the Nissan rogues I had experienced, the Soul is worlds smoother and quieter.
Before the 2020 soul a 2019 outlander sport was in contention.
It wasn't as bad as the rogue but not near as nice as the souls.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,762 Posts
Gosh dangit I wish Kia would do this! I absolutely can't stand the feel of the trans, but you know this abkut me already LOL. I have taken off from a stop and in auto mode and quickly switched to manual mode to see the gear.....yeah, 4th gear!!!! No wonder the feel and performance is terrible. My solution?? I drive it in manual mode when I drive it and my wife does the same. It will downshift on its own and guarantees starting in 1st, as it should on its own anyways. No troubles yet, but I am a later build and I am at 20k miles. We shall see.

I agree bb. It's like Toyota took steps to build the mousetrap a little better. Brilliant idea. I don't see a downside.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts

Your personal experience does NOT hold more weight than that of another's experience, which is opposite in this case and the reason for this thread.

Dealer's input on this is equivalent to zero. Thanks though. Something to not even consider.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I don’t think anyone said that they’re personal opinion holds more weight but everyone has an opinion and they’re all welcome as far as I’m concerned. It’s nice to see positive posts to counteract the overly negative ones and I for one like positivity in these times. The balanced perspective of most is best but everyone’s personal experience holds weight.
It really serves no purpose to bash anyone for their valid opinions and this is the last I’ll comment on this as it’s off topic and irrelevant to the discussion.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I don’t think anyone said that they’re personal opinion holds more weight but everyone has an opinion and they’re all welcome as far as I’m concerned. It’s nice to see positive posts to counteract the overly negative ones and I for one like positivity in these times. The balanced perspective of most is best but everyone’s personal experience holds weight.
It really serves no purpose to bash anyone for their valid opinions and this is the last I’ll comment on this as it’s off topic and irrelevant to the discussion.
Agreed, but it depends on the context the positive post is offered. If it's in a - so far so good for me - tone, no issues. If it's saying that - I haven't had an issue therefore there isn't an issue - not so much. You be the judge.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
True, but it doesn’t do any harm and as I said it counteracts the opposite: “ I have an issue so all Kias are crap and all dealers are crooks”. Neither are really helpful but it is a bit more enjoyable to see a little over exuberance.
I said I wouldn’t comment any further but here I am. My last word is there’s no purpose served in bashing anyone for their opinion. I see it too often on many forums.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
True, but it doesn’t do any harm and as I said it counteracts the opposite: “ I have an issue so all Kias are crap and all dealers are crooks”. Neither are really helpful but it is a bit more enjoyable to see a little over exuberance.
I said I wouldn’t comment any further but here I am. My last word is there’s no purpose served in bashing anyone for their opinion. I see it too often on many forums.
FWIW, both engage & bbslider are longtime members and contributors on this forum. I very much appreciate their comments and honest contributions.

Sometimes new members get upset at the tone of the discussions & call it "bashing." I liken it to joining the dinner table of a large family, each with their own strong opinions. Some with misleadingly optimistic to "the sky is falling" viewpoints. They debate, call each other out and question. I wanna hear them all.

There's a longer history of conversations here. Very little bashing. And those that do generally don't hang around.

·
Registered
21 Posts
That’s all good. It’s not always constructive and sometimes gets personal and insulting.
As for new member that has nothing to do with it. I may be fairly new here but I have followed and contributed to many forums so I’m not really a newbie to this.
Regardless I see that my efforts to keep things civil are not resonating here so I’ll take that as my hint to shut up and I’ll make sure not to be too enthusiastic about my car if I do decide to participate again.
Besides I don’t own a Soul, just something similar with the same power train so I should just butt out anyway.

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
That’s all good. It’s not always constructive and sometimes gets personal and insulting.
As for new member that has nothing to do with it. I may be fairly new here but I have followed and contributed to many forums so I’m not really a newbie to this.
Regardless I see that my efforts to keep things civil are not resonating here so I’ll take that as my hint to shut up and I’ll make sure not to be too enthusiastic about my car if I do decide to participate again.
Besides I don’t own a Soul, just something similar with the same power train so I should just butt out anyway.
You are only allowed to contribute regarding the parts that interchange between your "similar" car and the souls!
In other words...Curb your enthusiasm!

201 - 220 of 229 Posts