Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

181 - 200 of 229 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,759 Posts
On a side note, Toyota has begun using a CVT with a traditional first "launch" gear. It's suppose to get rid of the rubber band feel when taking off and reduces overall wear on the transmission.

·
Registered
53 Posts
That's interesting about Toyota but take-off hasn't really been the "feel" issue on the bad CVTs (Honda and Subaru) that I've owned. It's the behavior after launch where that moaning rubber-banding (revs and engine noise climb without corresponding acceleration, which is delayed) that hurts driveability. Both Honda and Subaru have been working on this issue. Their solution being similar to one that Kia adopted for its IVT - fake "gears". The fake shift points (a CVT needs no shift points and is actually more fuel efficient without them) mask the disconnect between engine speed and thrust delivery by limiting engine revs and "fake-shifting" before the RPMs get too high as to imply closer connection between throttle position and added thrust at the wheels. It's still fairly easy to induce CVT "moaning cow" behavior out of both Honda and Subaru fake-shift CVTs. Kia's IVT likewise can be unmasked as a CVT in some cases, but Kia's masking of this behavior is the best I've seen so far.

Toyota's pre-launch-gear solution was to make many of its CVT equipped models very slow cars. The C-HR with CVT has a 0-60 time in the 12 second range. We haven't seen cars that slow since the mid-1980s. :) But if there's no thrust to be had at any throttle position, folks blame the lack of engine power rather than the transmission.

·
Registered
44 Posts
everything out there has freakin warts or features that are a bit of a turn off . I spent winter months researching the small / mid size suv's since my CRV '16 lease was coming due . I ultimately took a nice offer made by my honda dealer to put me into a 2020 CRV but said CRV gen 5 1.5 turbo model has a well known oil dilution issue that affects some clients .So , I would normally check oil once every 30 days I'm checking it everyday now - gheez its 2020 why am I worried about oil level (no issues so far )

I think if your just zipping around city for work commute , everyday life things I'd take a shot at the Soul . The warranty will cover you if tranny becomes an issue . where I'd be slightly wary is if your on the freeway often @ 70 mph and the tranny goes
I think 'waynorth' is right on the money with his/her thoughts. If I had your decision (mja21181) to make today, knowing the issues with the IVT, I would consider the type of activity I planned to do with it. If it was 'around town', running errands, shopping, etc., you could not find a better option than the 2020 Soul. If you need a vehicle to drive across country a couple times a year, or do a lot of high speed freeway driving, I would be looking for another options.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Alternately if you're enamored with the things the Soul does well (e.g., lots of room in a small footprint, reasonable fuel economy for its cargo and passenger capacity, long warranty, nifty if polarizing looks, goodly amount of tech per dollar, decent ground clearance (better for snow or dirt road use, if either are in your travel plans), etc., get a Soul without the IVT. At the lower end of the range you can get a manual. Move to the 1.5L Turbo powered GT and get the DCT.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sorry to hear of your IVT failure. Please continue to share any updates. Question, how long had you been driving 'about 70 mph' before the failure occurred?

Be sure to file a complaint with the NHTSA, link below......

Also, dailygrind is working a spreadsheet in an attempt to gather information regarding these IVT failures, you might want to add to it:
boardhead here. Took only a few days for replacement to arrive and be installed. Blew up on Monday and I'm told today Saturday that it's ready to go, but haven't driven it yet, can't until Monday. While the turn around was quick, ask me if I want to do this again! So the jury is still out for me. Will I ever feel comfortable in this vehicle again? I would not buy one until there's some resolution--too many other choices.
Replacement completed. Vehicle seems to drive as before. Hope this is the end!

·
Registered
6,759 Posts
Replacement completed. Vehicle seems to drive as before. Hope this is the end!
Thanks for follow up (thru)!

Did anyone in Service Dept let on as to why the IVT failure?

Glad you are back on the road!

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
My Kia (only) dealer is selling Gen-3 Souls like hotcakes at a Lion's Club breakfast. They're EVERYWHERE!

Every time I talk with them, I ask if there have been any IVT failures in 2020 Souls. The answer is always, so far, "NO".

At almost 12k miles on my own Soul, I've had not one indication of any problem in the IVT. It spins the wheels on fast starts, pulls like a John Deere tractor, and is as quiet as a "Mouse blowing bubbles in a feather bed". :ROFLMAO:
And, that's all in just one year. When I first got the car, I was a bit apprehensive about the IVT, but all that has been wiped away by its Great Performance.
I've wondered though, , , if breaking in a transmission 'Slowly' isn't every bit as bad as breaking in a high performance engine, 'Slowly'.
Old Saying, "I'm just going to go like the devil was chasing me, till I die, and then just taper off slowly".

Cheers Mates!
FLH :cool:

·
Registered
17 Posts
One other question - for those with IVT problems, how do you use the transmission? Do you for example use Sport Mode (if equipped) often? How about manual shifting mode? Are you and aggressive driver or a passive driver or something in between?

I drive mine like I stole it most of the time, use Sport Mode often, manual mode sometimes (on long highway drives to access the magic "8th gear") and so far no problems.
Magic 8th gear?

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
Asstroltraveler said: "Get a Soul without the IVT. At the lower end of the range you can get a manual. Move to the 1.5L Turbo powered GT and get the DCT"

Given the option...I'll take the IVT over a DCT any day and twice on weekend and holidays

·
Registered
5 Posts
My Kia (only) dealer is selling Gen-3 Souls like hotcakes at a Lion's Club breakfast. They're EVERYWHERE!

Every time I talk with them, I ask if there have been any IVT failures in 2020 Souls. The answer is always, so far, "NO".

At almost 12k miles on my own Soul, I've had not one indication of any problem in the IVT. It spins the wheels on fast starts, pulls like a John Deere tractor, and is as quiet as a "Mouse blowing bubbles in a feather bed". :ROFLMAO:
And, that's all in just one year. When I first got the car, I was a bit apprehensive about the IVT, but all that has been wiped away by its Great Performance.
I've wondered though, , , if breaking in a transmission 'Slowly' isn't every bit as bad as breaking in a high performance engine, 'Slowly'.
Old Saying, "I'm just going to go like the devil was chasing me, till I die, and then just taper off slowly".

Cheers Mates!
FLH :cool:
Your dealer is lying! Check out this forum and the nhtsa complaints website! When I called my dealer to report the failure he acknowledged that "it's been a problem". So good luck! Not all of them fail, but the evidence is clear.

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
CVT's are not for the meat & potatoes generation.
Many folks are conditioned to like the same old thing.
We were raised on it, as our parents were, as our grandparents were.
It's like a secret family recipe passed down through the generations.
Don't you dare and try to change that recipe for fear of being ostracized from the family, even if it really does taste better!
Trouble is...though technology (and rust) never sleep, many of us have just fallen asleep behind that wheel.
While we want the better gas mileage, many of us are not willing to make the sacrifices that technology necessitates to get it.
Does it make us bad people? Not necessarily.
Sometimes you just can't have your hotcakes and eat them too!

·
Registered
6,759 Posts
We don't do well when somebody moves our cheese.

All I know is now I have a hankering for pancakes & maple syrup srad. Mmm...

·
Registered
6,759 Posts
Geo...I'd rather have the cheese moved then have someone cut it.
I also prefer pecan waffles of garden variety pancakes.
I always blame that on the dog.

Dang, I didn't realize Pecan Waffles were on the table. I'd sure go for some of them too!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Given the option...I'll take the IVT over a DCT any day and twice on weekend and holidays
And I’m the exact opposite. It all depends on what we want from a car and what gives us enjoyment. It’s also great that Kia has put together 2 excellent powertrain choices.

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
What give me miles of smiles is the hopes that my car will never require a day in the shop for a warranty claim or mechanical failure.
I.M.O. the I.V.T. will provide that over the D.C.T. but one really never knows, do one?

181 - 200 of 229 Posts