Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there, I just purchased a new Soul and i am having trouble with the speed. I will be going 75 on the highway and then when I approach a hill i slow down to about 35 or 40. is this normal?

·
Registered
811 Posts
Only if you take your foot off the accelerator...

Seriously, are you climbing mountains with the cruise control on?

You're going to have to elaborate a bit on the situation....

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,474 Posts
Let's break that down shall we, amber AND dumb.... Well isn't that special.
churchchat.jpg

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,164 Posts
not enough info to help, we need full details on your model.

And to answer your question - no its not normal (why would even think it would be that would be pretty dangerous?) How steep is the hill?

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
2.0L with auto have no problems holding speeds when climbing grades with the cruise on. Depending on the grade, your transmission will downshift a couple of gears in the process.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Driving West Virginia interstates at 70MPH, with 5% - 6% - 7% grades for 1/2-mile to 2 miles at a time:

Base 1.6 Automatic - at 70 MPH is turning about 2700 RPM in 6th on level ground. If I would lock it in 6th, I'm sure it would bog down to 40MPH going up the steeper hills. If I wait for it to automatically kick down into 5th and I slide the shifter over to lock it in 5th (now at about 3500-3700 RPM), it's no problem maintaining 70MPH up the hills as long as I'm not fully loaded. I usually lock it into 5th on long uphills to keep it from hunting back and forth a dozen times from 6-5-6-5-6-5-6-5 and so on.

You didn't mention (or I missed it) if you had the automatic or 6-speed. If you have the manual, I'm assuming you are downshifting to 5th going up the hills???

Don't be afraid to rev that little engine - it's not even close to redline.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Hello Amberanddumb and welcome to the Soul forums and ownership.
Go to top right of page and update your details in 'My Profile' .
AT. Or MT. If AT you will need an urgent fluid change and flush you can go to sport mode and use manual changes till yo get fluid changed but do not delay change of ATF using correct replacement. As handbook.

Jeff

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,164 Posts
nearly four days gone by and no feed back or further questions from the OP - another one hit wonder :think Hard to solve a problem when its one way conversation :culpability:

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,639 Posts
A tough problem from a bot.

·
Registered
615 Posts
nearly four days gone by and no feed back or further questions from the OP - another one hit wonder :think Hard to solve a problem when its one way conversation :culpability:
Maybe he will write back when he wants to know what kind of oil is the best to use.

:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts