Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2020 White EX Soul With Designer Package
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my three months free trial of Siriusxm ends soon. I like it but to continue @$22 a month is more than I would want to spend. It seems very expensive. How many members here shell out $22 a month for this service?

·
Registered
257 Posts
I had them for many years, because I was just plain stupid. Typically after threats to cancel, they come down to 5 bucks a month. Reasonable??? I say no....it is radio and it sucks. There is a free trial going on right now, so I took it for a spin and had forgotten how shitty it was....I went to Pandora...FOR FREE...and I absolutely love it. XM is a joke

·
Registered
104 Posts
I’m not a fan of Sirius XM either. I don’t like their music selections at all, also 90% of my driving is relatively local so I don’t listen to the radio that much any more, and if I’m driving longer distances, i have a load of music i like on my cell phone a podcasts to listen to. I’d much rather waste the money I’d spend on XM on something else.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
My 2013 Soul came with Sirius XM but I never subscribed. I occasionally listened when they would have a free week or two.
But my 2020 Soul LX does not have it. Good riddance! It's NO loss to me.

Happy 4th!
:cool:

·
Registered
2014 Soul+ Bright Silver (Sterling Soul)
502 Posts
When you compare it's $22 price tag and what you get for it to say a streaming network like Netflix for almost half that, I'm hard-pressed to see XM's value. That is unless you spend most if your day in your car or you're a truck driver. I tried the 3 month trial and used it only twice, then opted for streaming my Prime Music account from my phone. To me XM seems like an outdated technology/business model at this point, like radio, but at least radio is free.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,958 Posts
Even though this topic has been hashed over in other threads, I still really enjoy XM. The commercial free aspect and not having to be my own DJ with recorded music. Music, sports, comedy, news & live tv audio streams are great. Comedy has gotten me thru many a traffic jam with a big smile on my face.

But I'm cheap & have always paid just $99/yr since 2014 when I got hooked on Sirius (which owns Pandora by the way). This also includes online streaming, which I will have on my tablet or phone hours each day. Their online channel selection is huge vs in car antenna service.

But like Kerig, I would use my Amazon music account if XM played hardball on pricing.

Reactions: Kerig3

·
Registered
2020 White EX Soul With Designer Package
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I must admit I do like Seriusxm but not at the current price they offer. I'll let the free trial end and see what they'll do for a big discount.

·
Registered
9 Posts
We've used SiriusXM since we leased our first Hyundai and Kia's in 2014. Once the 'trial period' ended, I simply called and said I don't want to renew. They ask why I don't want to renew and I tell them it's too expensive for how little I listen to it...they ask what would be a reasonable price and I tell them $30 for 6 months. They have to check with someone and come back on and say fine...but when it renews you'll have to pay $90 some for 6 months. I agree to it and just prior to renewal, I call to cancel the service and go through the whole routing again. So this 'game' has been played on two separate vehicles, every 6 months since the original Hyundai and Kia Soul in 2014. I also do not give them a credit card or anything, I send them a check for the service so they cannot just renew it on their own, I have to do it. Anyway, we do not have unlimited data on our phones, so using other services off the phone that takes data is not feasible or desirable and with over 3,000 CD's and albums in our collection, I also have many memory sticks/flash drives available that I can use that specifically has 'my music' on it, but we both enjoy SiriusXM and as long as they continue with the discounted pricing, it works for us. It's a personal choice and the OP of this thread was asking if $22 a month is too expensive, I hope I have answered his question (as a couple others have) versus my opinion on the service it provides.

·
Registered
502 Posts
they ask what would be a reasonable price and I tell them $30 for 6 months. They have to check with someone and come back on and say fine...but when it renews you'll have to pay $90 some for 6 months. I agree to it and just prior to renewal, I call to cancel the service and go through the whole routing again.
Wow, they're using the same exact tactics as the cable companies do. Until recent years of television streaming services this game was played by Comcast cable and the two satellite TV services in my area. My neighbors would get a cheap bundle for a year or two from one service and once they were charged full price they would just get a new bundle with a different service. That's why most people in my neighborhood have 2 satellite dishes on their roofs; one for Direct TV and the other for Dish Network. I never went that route, but the most liberating experience in my adult life was finally cutting the cord from 30 years of cable TV last year and using streaming TV services only. Plus I'm actually saving money monthly! 👍
(YouTubeTV, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime)

You're smart at playing XM and beating them at their own game. But knowing that they seem somewahat desperate to keep you as a subscriber where you can literally make them an offer for their service makes me question their long-term health as a business model. But like I said above, were I spending more time in my car XM would be a decent option to consider. And I also have a music backup plan; I'm sure I still have a box of cassettes and a Walkman in a storage closet somewhere. 😉 😂

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
We've used SiriusXM since we leased our first Hyundai and Kia's in 2014. Once the 'trial period' ended, I simply called and said I don't want to renew. They ask why I don't want to renew and I tell them it's too expensive for how little I listen to it...they ask what would be a reasonable price and I tell them $30 for 6 months. They have to check with someone and come back on and say fine...but when it renews you'll have to pay $90 some for 6 months. I agree to it and just prior to renewal, I call to cancel the service and go through the whole routing again. So this 'game' has been played on two separate vehicles, every 6 months since the original Hyundai and Kia Soul in 2014. I also do not give them a credit card or anything, I send them a check for the service so they cannot just renew it on their own, I have to do it. Anyway, we do not have unlimited data on our phones, so using other services off the phone that takes data is not feasible or desirable and with over 3,000 CD's and albums in our collection, I also have many memory sticks/flash drives available that I can use that specifically has 'my music' on it, but we both enjoy SiriusXM and as long as they continue with the discounted pricing, it works for us. It's a personal choice and the OP of this thread was asking if $22 a month is too expensive, I hope I have answered his question (as a couple others have) versus my opinion on the service it provides.
Great point Barney, I never give them a credit card. They will charge you the $250 and it's a whole nuther game trying to get that back versus them billing you for what you're willing to pay.

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Tell them you'll cancel and they'll send you a CD worth a free month....oh wait I'm thinking of AOL.....
That's a blast from the past! I forgot about AOL. Weren't they the "You've Got Mail" people?

Reactions: Kerig3

·
Registered
2017 Base/auto, Shadow Black (Betsy)
648 Posts
That's a blast from the past! I forgot about AOL. Weren't they the "You've Got Mail" people?
Yes, it was a rural go to service.

Reactions: GeoSoul

·
Registered
502 Posts
Yes, it was a rural go to service.
Either AOL or CompuServe. I also used a few local server-based message boards—basically dedicated computers sitting in someone's spare bedroom. Then I got a taste of the World Wide Web from a demo at Fermilab here in IL and never looked back! 😁

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well, my three months free trial of Siriusxm ends soon. I like it but to continue @$22 a month is more than I would want to spend. It seems very expensive. How many members here shell out $22 a month for this service?
I let mine cancel because my card expired and they offered me $5 a month to come back. That was around 4 years ago. Every time it's due to renew I call them and ask if I can get the same $5 rate again, and they always let me. Plus, you can now stream on your phone XM WITH that $5 a month plan. I'm a huge Progressive Talk Radio junkie so I love having it! Plus the music is sometimes nice. It's totally worth the $5. Especially because I don't have cable and can listen to MSNBC and CNN on my phone or in my Soul.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I keep getting emails from Sirius for $5/mo for 12 months. So, yea... $22/mo is ridiculous!!
My personal opinion... I’m not spending a dime on listening to music when I can listen for free on local stations and through the music already on my iPhone!

·
Registered
22 Posts
For me, it isn't worth it. With the music streaming services I already have and the endless choices of Podcasts available to me while on CarPlay, I have more than enough to keep me entertained while concentrating on my driving.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Call customer service and tell them to cancel. They'll give you the $90/year rate. Do the year and let that finally expire. They then have a secret website where they give previous subscribers the $5 a month rate. It's all a game but you can save a lot of $$ playing it!

Reactions: Barney

·
Registered
110 Posts
At $5 a month its been worth it for me, I’ve enjoyed injecting some variety into my listening (pandora seems to get more and more focused and limited over time despite different station they start getting similar). $22? Nope, I cancelled immediately after the trial ended, waited a few weeks and just kept collecting their mailer until they got cheap enough to be worthwhile

1 - 20 of 48 Posts