Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
alright, so i made a thread in the wrong forum. but it wasn't started well anyways. so let's start over! we're stiill only plan phasing anyways.

the Goal is high levels, with high levels of fidelity, no real enphasis on the boom boom's as they were to be explained in the simplest terms :) but a simple high efficiency 8" to start off, with replacing drivers in stock locations in front end, possible retention of rear drivers. adding 10 channels of power, via 2 amps a 6 channel and a 4 channel. this offers me expansion in the future should i ever desire to go bigger. I also have a 12" sub engine i need to recone and i might glass that into the trunk one day or build a box even in the future, and it'll sitll work with the amps i selected.

the equipment -

Front doors- JBL 660 GTI with tweeters in stock location, might not be. undecided.

Center channel - Audio Physics XR3.5M-LE 3.5"

Rear doors - stock or wide band 6 1\2" drivers upgraded. still fishing

Subwoofer - German Maestro SWF8012HE 8" 4ohm 150 watt\rms

Amps -

Mmats HIFI6150D(sorry no pictures its on it's way :) )
Mmats SQ4070

Now Im still in designing stages, I'm either going to run an AudioControl LC8i off the stock amp, or run a procesor off the SPDIF feed of the UVO head reciever instead of out the back end of the amp\processor. what i really need ot be able to do that is either an alpine H800, JBL ms-8, nothing else takes the 5.1 digital signal the head unit putsout, whitch is awesome! i don't want to downgrade that to a 2 channel stereo signal! it's easily done with a 30$ adpater from amazon.com but again, WHY would I take fidelity out, to only recreate it digitaly again? thats only adding distortion to my end signal the spekaers see in the end. so,the quesiton here is what can i run? the rockford fosgate 360.3 takes toslink but stereo, the arc ps8, the dsp 4x6, rainbow dsp 1.8 they all are varrafied taking stereo spdif. i ask whats the point of it? i do not know, and honestly i'd rather run coax than toslink as the bandwitches of optics don't allow for the full signal to be sent so your technicly decreasing fidelity and the goal of the project is to only increase! so i digress. input is greatly appriciated here if anybody has any :) I'm leaning oin the LC8I myself or a JBL ms-8 if i find one cheap they aren't to bad..but Id really love to be able to tune my own music...than again i'm not tuing it with the stock amp :p but i'm losing so much with the after market if i go toslink no volume, so coax is a must. its sent coax i'd rather retain coax. the JBL ms-8 does seem like the ideal solution if found for a reasonable price.

Layout will be as follows, the sub will get 1 channel only in this setup, but i could bridge the 4 channel for the rears, rated [email protected] ohm's i'd probobly blow em after awhile with that much power but i do not know i'm curiouse if anybodys pushed the infinity's

I plan on possibly adding the Arc Black 12" wired to 1 ohm, briddged off channels 5+6, on the Mmats HIFI6150D x1 900 watts [email protected] ohm in a small footprint under 10 inches wide, you can't beat that with a stick! I can than use the SQ as a 3 channel. we'll see. bridging channels 3+4 on the SQ4070 into the center so the levels won't change much since it'll be fed 150 watts rms from the 6150.

this is probobly something like what i'll do with my amp's

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I wanna give a shout out to this shop who made these baffels. saved me allot of time and honestly for the price pre made for the time it'd take to figuire out and make and mount these and out of the proper materials, bits, blood. 85$ shipped is a ****ings steal! and i dont care who calls me a sissy for ordering a pre made baffle.

Can be found and contacted via google. they responde fast and have been talking with me about my project and know their stuff. gave me good advice on sealingt he doors.
https://plus.google.com/111191396507848486321/posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
I love the audiocontrol products. I currently have the LC2i on the stock head unit. Although my setup is geared more towards SPL, I think that what you have would be great for a SQ setup.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah thats good for spl you dont need processing. i'm acuclay going back to my forckford fosgate 3sixty.3 and getting an external digital DTS decoder and taking analog front R+L, Rear R,L, and sub+center so 6 channel analog input into a rockford fosgate 3sixty.3 to whitch i will be tuning by a tablet :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Awaiting to hear your project comments once you have reached the tuning stage..

I am curious about those JBL components, and your integration into the factory head unit.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Awaiting to hear your project comments once you have reached the tuning stage..

I am curious about those JBL components, and your integration into the factory head unit.
Well my integration i can explain what ever you wanna know in and out, ive figured this system out. I was going to use line level outputs off stock amp into a line out converter. But instead now I'm taking the spdif off the harness coming OUT of the stereo into the dts decoder into the rockfordfosgate 3sixty.3 simply bypassing and removing stock amp if the stereo doesn't wanna see it or anything funny. It should be removable from the system most are designed to be I know she European cars can be funny though so this might not work on a euro soul idk. taking pins 17,18,19 I believe it was off the harness and that's all I need for my audio channels to feed my processor. I'm going back to the fockford fosgate 360.3

I'll use that decoder only because my Infiniti system outputs a 5.1 signal most processors can't take that digitally. But they can take the analog decoded signals.

I don't understand why anyone would brag about running optic in a car tiehr. Coax is far superior for HiFi sound. Optics litterly don't have as wide a band with as coaxal digital ran on a good cable. Coax and optic is a waste as most processors helix p, rf360.3, arc ps8, the mini DSP 6x8. All of these gales the signals analog but do not decode DTS/dobly

This is the final layout

heres the harness that goes into the stock amp. the chart in the image above was used from the chart for the harnesses at the back of the deck.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Is this nuts? I mean it took me 2 years to save for this project loo I mean its not like I went and got this list. This has taken me a year just to decide the final parts. It was always built around the jbl 660 gti set

The audio physics were a deal on classifieds on a forum. The first amp 200$ off Facebook yardaale from a local enthusiast. In fact every used part was bought from somebody who USED these parts and loved em and treated them right. Even the new second hand stuff has already seen sonluch envy and love inezpect good things from this system.

Totally rundown costs. -

Mmats 650$ used for 6 channel 200$ for 4 channel.

Rockford fosgate 350$ bnib

Audio physics center 125$ used

Jbl 660 gti 550$

Image dynamic xs65's 250$

German maestro 8" low profile subwoofer 270$ imported from Germany :)
Distro block 125$ with 4 gauge wires

Deadner 60$ 30SQ Ft need another 60$ at least maybe cheaper stuff
Another 200$ in mass loaded vinyl, harnesses, and some hand tools I need.

Pretty sure that's about it. Oh RCA's. I have some I need more so another 100$ -_-

erm...I just added that all up..nevermind your right XD

update: items on their way! ID XS65, and MMats HIFI6150D!!

teaser's. for me and for you :D I'm so excited for the system XD

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
a hard days work 6 hours on a Sunday and I have my main power run and ran the control wire for zapco Z8 controller.. I went with the zapco Z8 because it happened to pop up for a good price and i talked to guy who had it he helped me figure it all out ! Thanks to my good friend nano :) he was had indispensable input on figuring out the CAN control setup and digital spdif signal from the head unit. His experience helped me improve my understanding and to me that's what this all about. Learning and building with our hands.

Routed the wire with stock computer harness. Their was a convenient gromit right above break pedel driver side right behind battery. The computers right behind battery. To which I followed and descovered this.

Ran it through driver side firewall grommit down corner paneling with stock wiring.

Thinking I might find an ignition switch leg I could put a relay in here and create my own separate amp circuit. Just need an ignition switched leg and a relay which I can even mount on amp rack for simplicity sake.

Put the Z8R in my fuse box in my cabin I'm gonna fiberglass it maybe just tuck it in there the panels easy to replace so I might glass it. Idk would be cool just for looks I think and more functional. I'll never use the presets unless I have it mounted accessible while I'm driving b

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Another day working on it. I got 95% of the wire ran.

Got the driver side floor deadened 100%

Got the seats out and the rear seat out today. As well as the center console and most paneling aside from the dashboard.

Found this on the moonroof where nobody would ever be able to see unless they did what I did haha. I was standing over center console.

Checking out the stock sub location. Not sure how I feel about it. Its basicly into the corner panel of the car no plastic box or anything.

I'm only running new wires for the woofers. New wires to stock amp location and utilizing stock wires for everything else.

Not sure how I'm gonna get the new woofer wires through the serial port on the shoe for the door.

Got most the deadening and wires ran on driver side. I also ran a new line for the center Chanel. Everything twisted pair 16 gauge.

The wiring all came out behind the back seat in spare tire well. I'll be fabricating a rack in the corner against the back seat and a second battery in the corner under their as well.

This shows you the space I'll have to hide the amps and second battery.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,911 Posts
Eviling, I am so impressed by the magnitude of your goal here.

No pun intended, but it speaks volumes of your drive to accomplish a difficult task, and who you probably are as a person.

Man, you should be so proud of this.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Eviling, I am so impressed by the magnitude of your goal here.

No pun intended, but it speaks volumes of your drive to accomplish a difficult task, and who you probably are as a person.

Man, you should be so proud of this.
thanks man, that was a big pick me up during a low point in my life with some things, followed by allot of ****. my girl had a sezuir last tuesday, and i had been taking care of her all week. she let me off the hook to work on this sunday as she knows its my dream build :p and ive been working on it for some time.

things are good with her, we discovered she has a disorder and things can only get better now that we understand her problems further. so its not as terrafying as it sounds. althought that night did suck last week.

moving on,

I'm Making some real progress. Got the floor fully deadened sunday up to the rear seat and finished wiring.

To do for the next month -
Finish home runs for front right and front left woofers in doors. Might be adding a second boot to avoid cutting holes in serial harness for driver and passenger front doors. Might require removable of both doors.

I'll also finish deadening the rear end. Intend to be able to mount rear seat back in by the next time my buddy can let me work in his garage. Most my gears their.

Next month once I get back to the garage I'll be soldering the wires in finish that up. Mount subwoofer put corner panels back in and I'll be working on amp rack by end of next trip. Hopefully the following trip to be the last. Near end of summer its looking I'll be done.

My Buddy's home made 24V LED strip he powered it off his 18V M18 Milwaukee battery.

Ran the passenger rear door home run for the midwoofer. Was pretty easy boot popes right out. In retrospect I figured out I could of done the fishing and everything through the front door with rear door closed much easier for anybody reading this. A good tip.

Deadened the rear floor first this morning. Than the front passenger floor this afternoon. I am curiouse what are thoughts on under center console? Should I take it back out next time to deaden?

Ran the tweeter home runs to stock amp and two RCA's for the spdif signal and the navigation signal.

The RCA's will run to this spdif DTS converter to an analog 6 channel output to the z-8.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Still chugging away at it. Today I emptied the car washed out the back end since it'd been open and full of shut and used for a month. It was pretty ****ing filthy. The tire well ports into the car and allota dust from driving dirt and rock roads. I'm thinking I wanna seal all that up deaden it.

Painted on like a thin coat and than another thicker coat I tried to do today didn't have much time had to let it dry and load it back up. Hopefully tomorrow ill hit it again with another few coats.

You would be surprised how much you'd fit in a little kia soul..remember I do work construction.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
In about 5 mins on my lunch I had my tweeters and center apart. So these parts will be stupid easy to do I'm so stoked for this to he done already. been really crazy since july 12th, when my fiance had a seizure it kind of put my project pretty much on the back burner. ive done some things here and their, like you see above the deadening wit the paint on liner but really honestly that is all. so, I'm hoping to finish it by 2017! it'll be tuned and you'll be seeing videos. wish i had some people who were actually enthralled into this log but I chug along, post anyways, because this is what I do and it keeps me sane and gives me my purpose.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Picked the rest of the gear up from my Buddy's his wife was a little sour about me using all his free time. Going to finish it up at my buddy's place.

It's kind installed ...its at least all in the car

·
Registered
171 Posts
Great job. I love these involved projects by people who know what they are doing. I got as far as putting in a Kicker subwoofer in the rear location then sealing it up as best as I could. When its done, you'll need to drive the country letting us hear the final result. 2 big thumbs up!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Worked on it last night. Tried making a speaker ring but i forgot the new bit the old one was broke and I snapped the rest off last night.

So I started working on deadening the rest of the back end from the bumper forward. I got the back wall done, the floor doesn't need much since I painted that deadner on. I'll put a few panels but honestly I slopped that **** on its donzo.

I'm hoping to hit it Sunday.

Also finished deadening the fender well for the sub put a large 10x10" piece behind sub a few small pieces. It was also painted but a thinner layer. It is proving impossible to seal that sub so I'm going to do what they did and go IB. Since it already is. Just basicly going to sure things up and mount sub at same depth, with foam ring to couple to the flush ring on the corner panel it'll separate the back wave from the front wave like the stock setup did it after looking at it I realised how they had it set up.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts