Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 2012 soul sport's side engine bolt and flanged studs sheared the other day.

I was able to extract them, but now I can't seem to find them. The dealership can't find them on their parts diagram. It has the bolt, but not the studs.

None of the parts stores in Omaha have them. Not even on RockAuto. Or at least not that I can find.

The nuts fit on my wife's 2012 Sportage, but I can't find any online that fit either of those makes.

My Soul is the 2.0 L.
Automotive tire Finger Thumb Gas Household hardware

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
View attachment 139797
That only shows the bolt, the studs are not shown. That's the diagram they had at the dealership. I have that bolt that's listed.
That’s interesting it doesn’t list the stud.

Will that bolt fit where the stud used to be? You can use a bolt the same length instead of the stud and nut if you have to.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
The studs are considered part of the timing cover hence why they are not sold separately. I have never seen one snap like that. Some force must have been put on it during some kind of servicing as they will never snap just driving the car. Maybe someone hammered them on or had the cover off or the engine lifted for some odd reason and did something to snap them.
About your only choice is to see if you can find a local junkyard with a junk engine they will let you pull the studs out of. If you absolutely cannot find anything locally I could potentially look in my scrap pile as I am sure there is a couple of timing covers in there and pull a few studs out for you and ship them to you.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
The studs are considered part of the timing cover hence why they are not sold separately. I have never seen one snap like that. Some force must have been put on it during some kind of servicing as they will never snap just driving the car. Maybe someone hammered them on or had the cover off or the engine lifted for some odd reason and did something to snap them.
About your only choice is to see if you can find a local junkyard with a junk engine they will let you pull the studs out of. If you absolutely cannot find anything locally I could potentially look in my scrap pile as I am sure there is a couple of timing covers in there and pull a few studs out for you and ship them to you.
Would this be the right stud?

Font Rectangle Parallel Screenshot Diagram

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Software

Rectangle Triangle Slope Font Parallel

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All of them sheared, even the bolt one. No services had been done, and I've had it for 4 years now. I thought it odd since I've had many **** boxes over the years and never sheared any. Apparently that 2.0 is just a beast.

I'm in Omaha Nebraska. I'm going to try the junk yards this weekend. I know those studs are the same thread as those on my wife's Sportage. It's dumb they don't sell them separately.

Thank you, this has been the best lead yet.
Wood Gas Auto part Sculpture Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I think these are the other two the dealership has shipped in, and the we're about half the size of what I needed. I wish the diagram was rotated to see where they mount.
Thank you. It seems like the salvage yard or bwdz75 offer (he is a Kia tech) is the best solution for this pesky stud.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Hope you have a stud puller when you go to the junk yards. When they sell engines they always ask for cores so hopefully they have some junk motors you can pull them off of. If not, I got you covered just pay shipping.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
I'll pull them off tomorrow and PM you. My fiance ships a ton of stuff on ebay everyday so she can drop it at post office.
I also realized that perhaps I never broke one of those studs because I 100% of the time take them off with an impact but the twisting force of a ratchet, if that's what you used, could potentially snap a weakened one.

·
Registered
51 Posts
So my 2012 soul sport's side engine bolt and flanged studs sheared the other day.

I was able to extract them, but now I can't seem to find them. The dealership can't find them on their parts diagram. It has the bolt, but not the studs.

None of the parts stores in Omaha have them. Not even on RockAuto. Or at least not that I can find.

The nuts fit on my wife's 2012 Sportage, but I can't find any online that fit either of those makes.

My Soul is the 2.0 L. View attachment 139796
is this the part number you need?

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
That sure looks like the part #. If you want me to ship you the used ones I have just PM me with your address but I'm in Michigan so not sure how long before they go to where you are.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts