Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I think the Bus was around that vintage. Maybe '68? Probably some prints from the old Instamatic here somewhere.
It was fun to drive, the front seats were on top the front wheels.
We didn't need no stinking front end crumple zone.
You could floor it in every gear and never get a speeding ticket.
Did get a noise ticket for rusted out muffler.
And heat exchangers. About froze our butts off one Chicago winter because of that. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2019 Kia Soul +, 2.0L
216 Posts
I think the Bus was around that vintage. Maybe '68? Probably some prints from the old Instamatic here somewhere.
It was fun to drive, the front seats were on top the front wheels.
We didn't need no stinking front end crumple zone.
You could floor it in every gear and never get a speeding ticket.
Did get a noise ticket for rusted out muffler.
And heat exchangers. About froze our butts off one Chicago winter because of that. :rolleyes:
LOL! When I was a kid, we didn't have school busses. So, parents "car pooled" the kids to school. One of the parents in my car pool owned a Porsche repair shop. They drove ONLY Porsche cars and VW Busses.

When it was their turn to drive the kids to school, we either piled 6 kids and one adult into a Porsche 911, or we rode in a VW bus. In winter, it took FOREVER for the heat to warm up the bus!

The VW bus was "roomy" for all of us, but COLD!

When my friend's mother decided to drive the 911 (which was most days), it was funny watching bystanders gawking at so many people piled into a Porsche 911.

Imagine 6 kids and an adult in a Porsche 911.

Reactions: MonsterSoul

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I forget just how it worked, but the Bus was air cooled motor and the heat exchangers were tied into the exhaust for heat somehow. More safety. LOL. Got the noise ticket and diy replaced the muffler, which fixed the ticket when I showed the judge the receipt, but I don't think it fixed the noise or heat because the 2 heat exchangers were also rusted out. Long time ago. :unsure:

·
Registered
2019 Kia Soul +, 2.0L
216 Posts
I forget just how it worked, but the Bus was air cooled motor and the heat exchangers were tied into the exhaust for heat somehow. More safety. LOL. Got the noise ticket and diy replaced the muffler, which fixed the ticket when I showed the judge the receipt, but I don't think it fixed the noise or heat because the 2 heat exchangers were also rusted out. Long time ago. :unsure:
I was just a kid back then, so I don't know how those air-cooled engines provided heat for the cabin. All I know is that the heat didn't work very well.

Fun fact: My childhood friend's name is Paul Mosher. He is a fraternal twin. His twin sister is named Paula. Their older sister's name is... wait for it... Porsche.

• Haha
Reactions: MonsterSoul

·
Registered
2019 Kia Soul +, 2.0L
216 Posts
Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz?
My friends all drive Porsches, I must make amends. :p
LOL.

The Mosher family does pronounce Porche the same as Portia. That's how it's supposed to be pronounced... according to the Mosher family.

EDIT: I also get the humor ala Jim and Tammy Baker.

My favorite 1980's T-shirt:

White Fashion Sleeve Font Pink

·
Registered
KIA SOUL 2019
15 Posts
All the oil discussion got me to thinking. When I was a teenager I worked part time at a gas station. One island of pumps was full service. Customer stayed in car , told you how much gas they wanted. While the gas was pumping, you checked tire pressure, cleaned windshield, checked oil. If it needed a quart you told Customer. They told you what oil they wanted. We had what was called bulk oil, came in 55 gallon drums, you pumped it out into glass quart bottles with metal funnel that screwed on. Always amazed me, people with almost new cars would say, throw me a quart of that bulk oil in. It cost .25 cents a quart. Yeah, I'm older than dirt. :sleep: time for my nap.
What a wonderful story from back then. You all most likely will laugh your a.. off when I say this now. But being a European. Born and raised there. I as a kid. To me American cars. Those huge " ships" as we called them were the most amazing cars in the world. There was nothing better out there. At least in my mind as a young kid from Europe. Such beautiful unique cars. They surely represented the futuristic US of A like the rest of the world saw it back then at least. When I moved here in '92. The first car ( ship. LOL ) I got was a Ford LTD Station Wagon. But it was just impossible to keep up with the repairs and buying gas. LOL But still, they are truly icons of this very country. No matter what.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Plant

·
Registered
73 Posts
All the oil discussion got me to thinking. When I was a teenager I worked part time at a gas station. One island of pumps was full service. Customer stayed in car , told you how much gas they wanted. While the gas was pumping, you checked tire pressure, cleaned windshield, checked oil. If it needed a quart you told Customer. They told you what oil they wanted. We had what was called bulk oil, came in 55 gallon drums, you pumped it out into glass quart bottles with metal funnel that screwed on. Always amazed me, people with almost new cars would say, throw me a quart of that bulk oil in. It cost .25 cents a quart. Yeah, I'm older than dirt. :sleep: time for my nap.
When I was in high school a Friday/Saturday date night would run me about $5.00, full tank of gas, movie and burgers after...regular gas was 11.9 and ethyl was 13.9...that's how old I am...

·
Registered
35 Posts
When I hear Yugo, I think of the one that flew over the railing of the Mackinac Bridge in a windstorm - the only car so far to take flight on our signature bridge here in Michigan. Then there is my husband’s request. “If you ever need to buy me a very expensive present, get me a Tuba. it costs about the same as a Yugo.”

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
8,583 Posts
What a wonderful story from back then. You all most likely will laugh your a.. off when I say this now. But being a European. Born and raised there. I as a kid. To me American cars. Those huge " ships" as we called them were the most amazing cars in the world. There was nothing better out there. At least in my mind as a young kid from Europe. Such beautiful unique cars. They surely represented the futuristic US of A like the rest of the world saw it back then at least. When I moved here in '92. The first car ( ship. LOL ) I got was a Ford LTD Station Wagon. But it was just impossible to keep up with the repairs and buying gas. LOL But still, they are truly icons of this very country. No matter what. View attachment 139834
I remember having to drive a few wagons like these that didn't have power steering or power brakes (basically power-nada). Holy cow they were literally like steering a ship.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts