Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
I think you have the new car bug.

Now disengaging fun killing sage advise curmudgeon mode.
That's good advice vangone!

Bit I'm still going to need you to get off my lawn & turn that damn music down! 馃槂

Registered

Registered
A look at the 2024 Seltos with new interior. Turbo with 8 sp automatic too.

Reactions: rhysoul

Registered
I like the updated look, except for the gear shift knob thing. I like a regular shifter. I wonder if that 8sp auto is a DCT (dual clutch transmission, the current one has the 7sp DCT on the turbo model) or the regular 8 speed auto that鈥檚 like the one in the Sportage. If I had to guess I鈥檇 say it鈥檚 the DCT.

Registered
I like the updated look, except for the gear shift knob thing. I like a regular shifter. I wonder if that 8sp auto is a DCT (dual clutch transmission, the current one has the 7sp DCT on the turbo model) or the regular 8 speed auto that鈥檚 like the one in the Sportage. If I had to guess I鈥檇 say it鈥檚 the DCT.
As I understand it they dumped the DCT in favor of traditional 8 sp auto. But this clearly is a Korean market video.

Registered
As I understand it they dumped the DCT in favor of traditional 8 sp auto. But this clearly is a Korean market video.
That would be great if the US version dumps it too. I much prefer traditional automatics over a DCT or CVT (IVT), because of long term reliability concerns.

I see the 8 speed DCT is a wet clutch so that might be more reliable than the 7 speed dry clutch. There seems to be a lot of complaints of low speed (stop&go) shudder with them.

Reactions: GeoSoul

Registered
That would be great if the US version dumps it too. I much prefer traditional automatics over a DCT or CVT (IVT), because of long term reliability concerns.

I see the 8 speed DCT is a wet clutch so that might be more reliable than the 7 speed dry clutch. There seems to be a lot of complaints of low speed (stop&go) shudder with them.

That's exactly how I feel. Can you imagine creeping along in a daily traffic jam? I'd be apologizing to the DCT for the abuse I'm giving it.

Don't get me wrong DCT has it's place in the right driving environment. Same with the MT that I drive.

Registered
That's exactly how I feel. Can you imagine creeping along in a daily traffic jam? I'd be apologizing to the DCT for the abuse I'm giving it.

Don't get me wrong DCT has it's place in the right driving environment. Same with the MT that I drive.
I was stuck in a mess of construction traffic on the highway today and was apologizing to my clutch lol. If I had to drive in a lot of traffic on a regular basis, I would have bought an automatic. Clutches don鈥檛 like stop and go traffic, they get hot. I try to time it so I don鈥檛 have to step on the clutch till last moment and I鈥檒l stay in first gear if I can (and buck sometimes馃槥), and I鈥檒l try to limit the use, but in traffic jams, manual transmission are a pain in the hoo-hoo. Glad that鈥檚 not my normal commute!

Reactions: GeoSoul

Registered
2014 1.6l manual
... If I had to drive in a lot of traffic on a regular basis, I would have bought an automatic....
Back when driving my manual transmission pickup, it was annoying when traffic was going too fast for 1st gear, but too slow for 2nd, thus constantly having to switch back and forth.

I don't drive near as much now but the few times I am in slow-mowing traffic don't seem to annoy me as much from a clutch / shifting standpoint when driving my Kia Soul.

It may partly be due to the Soul having a slightly shorter clutch pedal travel than my pickup along with the location of the very short gear shift (compared to my pickup) being within easy reach such that I often shift with my finger tips, and often with my elbow never leaving the armrest.

For my pickup with tall floor mounted gear shift, shifting required a full arm movement from shoulder through elbow to hand to move the shifter knob from one gear to the next the travel was so great - not exactly fun.

Registered
2014 1.6l manual
Only a quick shot of the engine bay - that engine sure looked to be crammed in there with no space to spare.

Haha - forget giving a measured numerical value for cargo volume, I think all auto manufacturers should switch to how many Mari(s) can fit inside :)

Registered
Only a quick shot of the engine bay - that engine sure looked to be crammed in there with no space to spare.

Haha - forget giving a measured numerical value for cargo volume, I think all auto manufacturers should switch to how many Mari(s) can fit inside :)
Yeah, I don't know why that always has to be such a big secret for new vehicles. Car and Driver says the 2024 will have the same cargo volume as the 2023.

Seltos offers 26 cubic feet of storage space behind the rear row. Folding down that row allows you to use its full cargo capacity of 62 cubic feet.

Registered
2014 1.6l manual
Yeah, I don't know why that always has to be such a big secret for new vehicles. Car and Driver says the 2024 will have the same cargo volume as the 2023.

Seltos offers 26 cubic feet of storage space behind the rear row. Folding down that row allows you to use its full cargo capacity of 62 cubic feet.
So a little more than the Soul with the rear row up and the same with rear row down.

Cargo volume (rear seat up / mat (no board)) (cu. ft.)24.2 cu.ft
Cargo volume (rear seat up / board in lower position) (cu. ft.)23.4 cu.ft
Cargo volume (rear seat up / board in upper position)) (cu. ft.)18.7 cu.ft
Cargo volume (rear seat folded / total cargo) (cu. ft.)62.1 cu.ft

Table from 2023 Kia Soul Specifications

I prefer the shape and look of the Kia Soul to the Seltos, not that the Seltos looks bad or anything, just somewhat cookie-cutter.

Off-topic: couple weeks ago saw a Hyundai Santa Cruz out on the road. It passed me or I passed it. I was not expecting it to look as beefy as it did. Looked nice.

Registered
saw a Hyundai Santa Cruz out on the road. It passed me or I passed it. I was not expecting it to look as beefy as it did. Looked nice.
I saw one the other day, I think for the first time. It looks better in person than in pictures. I think the Maverick is a better looking car-truck though. It looks more like what a truck should look like and not a Tucson that got half the roof chopped off. It鈥檚 a shame it鈥檚 a Ford. 馃槄

Registered
2014 1.6l manual
I saw one the other day, I think for the first time. It looks better in person than in pictures....
Yeah my same thought - pictures I'd seen didn't do it justice. For me looked larger than I expected.

I think the Maverick is a better looking car-truck though. It looks more like what a truck should look like and not a Tucson that got half the roof chopped off. It鈥檚 a shame it鈥檚 a Ford. 馃槄
My main issue with quad-cab trucks is lack of a mid-gate. Thus a long item (e.g. a 2x4 or maybe even a 6ft ladder) that would fully fit inside a Tucson (from front passenger area all the way back to just inside the rear hatch) would not come close to fitting either inside the cab or inside the short bed of the Santa Cruz.

There are several positive aspects I like about trucks - sit up higher, seating position is more like sitting in an upright chair. To be able to get 40mpg in a mid-size truck would be great. If only it had a mid-gate :(

21 - 35 of 35 Posts