Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a bizarre incident last night. I was on a very steep hill with a stop light at the top of it. I have been trying to figure out how to use hill assist, so I tried something a little different while waiting for the light to turn green. I depressed the clutch pedal to the floor, put the gear shift in neutral, and applied the brake. When the light turned green, I tried to go into first gear. Surprisingly, I could only go into reverse (scaring the heck out of the MB driver behind me, which was sort of fun). I put it back in neutral, tried again, and had the same response. I then did it again, and was careful not to touch the collar which must ordinarily be raised to put the car into reverse. Same response. Eventually, I got out of the problem by leveling the car somewhat after letting it role backwards. Magically, first gear returned. The car seems okay, except that now there is a sound in the back which occurs when I accelerate and which sounds like a small rubber tube lightly hitting a metal part.

What happened?

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,164 Posts
I don't have a manual so can't help you, but it would be helpful if you could fill out your DRIVES profile with details on what you are driving as we don't have that information which may or may-not effect the replies - thanks. (year, engine, model)

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
"What happened?"

I'll tell you what happened...You kept the folks behind you at that red light for so long, that they got out of their car and crawled under yours to sabotage something!
That's the last time you'll keep folks waiting behind you at a red light while trying to figure out how your car works!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"What happened?"

I'll tell you what happened...You kept the folks behind you at that red light for so long, that they got out of their car and crawled under yours to sabotage something!
That's the last time you'll keep folks waiting behind you at a red light while trying to figure out how your car works!
Thank you for your assistance.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't have a manual so can't help you, but it would be helpful if you could fill out your DRIVES profile with details on what you are driving as we don't have that information which may or may-not effect the replies - thanks. (year, engine, model)
Done.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
+1 what ROS said.

it'd be a good idea to learn how your car works....

BEFORE you drive it in public.

You could've hit those people.

[sent from the squat rack...]

·
Registered
25 Posts
Same thing happened to us and my dad (who has been driving stick all his life) had to back all the way down a steep hill.

It's a bit sad reading some of the negative responses your post has generated. It feels very confusing when it happens and it's certainly not the fault of the driver in this instance.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've been driving a stick for about 8 years, so I think I've got the hang of it. If the problem happens again, however, I hope I get to nail a Ferrari, driven by some self-important banker, who just made a killing on his Facebook deal. Schadenfreude.

The source of the knocking sound has been discovered, and it was a coincidence. I took the car to my Kia dealer, and a socket head was found inside one of the door panels. The dealer concluded that this wasn't my fault, and didn't charge me for the work. The repair department did, however, thank me for the free tool and kept it.

Nevertheless, there was still that problem on that one, extremely sloped hill. One other person mentioned a similar problem on this thread, and my service department reported it to Kia. Supposedly, the regional service department has never heard of it (I don't trust corporations to report potentially hazardous design defects unless it is absolutely necessary). I plan to take the car back to Kia for a full check-up of the transmission.

In my opinion, this could be a really dangerous condition. So, if anyone else knows on other incidents, I think they ought to be gathered up and reported.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have a 2012 Kia Soul Base M/T, and have 25K on the car. I have been on many steep hills, and had no problems whatsoever. Not sure why the vehicle would lock out of first at all. It would never occur to me to put the vehicle in reverse... I usually sit in first gear with my foot on the clutch and other one on the brake on steep hills, so maybe I never duplicated the neutral and brake on steep hill scenario you described.

Anyhow just wanted to give you some perspective from another 2012 M/T owner.....

·
Registered
254 Posts
I has on a steep hill yesterday in my soul. It was actually a driveway and I was stopped to get rent from my moms tenant. I couldnt get it rolling forward! I was amazed. I had to back down the hill as well. i didnt think anything of it at the time though. i dont remember if i took it out of gear, but i can go back and test it today. ill let you know. the hill is probably a 25% grade

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have a 2012 Kia Soul Base M/T, and have 25K on the car. I have been on many steep hills, and had no problems whatsoever. Not sure why the vehicle would lock out of first at all. It would never occur to me to put the vehicle in reverse... I usually sit in first gear with my foot on the clutch and other one on the brake on steep hills, so maybe I never duplicated the neutral and brake on steep hill scenario you described.

Anyhow just wanted to give you some perspective from another 2012 M/T owner.....
I just wanted to mention that it was a very steep hill. The only way to get it into first was to let the car go backward so that the front and rear wheels were closer to level. That's when first gear mysteriously reappeared.

I know there is a collar on the gear shifter, and it apparently lifts something up and out of some sort of indentation in the transmission (that's what a mechanic said). Maybe on really steep slopes, and that combination of clutch and neutral, it lets whatever is in the indention slide out. Is that possible?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts