Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone! i just purchased my 2010 soul about 2 weeks ago. Im not sure if its a problem, but when i am running the AC and i come to a complete stop. The car seems to shudder just a bit for a second. Its barely noticeable and not something im really complaiong about but does this happen to anyone else? The car has less than 500 miles on it, so i thought maybe it could be a new car thing? Thanks! :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ours seems to have a bit of hesitation at low speeds (20 mph and less). We live in a gated community and it seems like it is trying to decide which gear to use - either that or it is a fuel delivery problem. We only have around 1,100 miles on it and everything appears to be OK on the Interstate. We have a long trip planned soon so we're see how things go and mention it during our initial service visit.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
When the A/C is on, it puts an extra load on the engine. It will try to return to normal idling, but realize that it needs more power to run the A/C pump..... so yes, it's normal.

and the hesitation at lower speeds.... that would be normal if the A/C pump was on, or if you have an automatic, and it would do it if you had both. But if you had a manual, and the A/C was off, it should not hesitate.

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,075 Posts
hi everyone! i just purchased my 2010 soul about 2 weeks ago. Im not sure if its a problem, but when i am running the AC and i come to a complete stop. The car seems to shudder just a bit for a second. Its barely noticeable and not something im really complaiong about but does this happen to anyone else? The car has less than 500 miles on it, so i thought maybe it could be a new car thing? Thanks! :)
I would keep on driving it and put more miles on your Soul. Keep an eye on the issue....but I'm guessing it will go away as the engine is still "tight" if not you have one of the best warranty's out there.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Not Normal!

When the A/C is on, it puts an extra load on the engine. It will try to return to normal idling, but realize that it needs more power to run the A/C pump..... so yes, it's normal.

and the hesitation at lower speeds.... that would be normal if the A/C pump was on, or if you have an automatic, and it would do it if you had both. But if you had a manual, and the A/C was off, it should not hesitate.
Neither of these are normal. With today's cars everything is computer controlled. The car should be compensating for the AC being on.

The hesitation is also not normal either. I have about 1900 miles on my Soul now, and it has never done either of the above mentioned problems.

Take the car into the dealer. My guess is it will be as simple as the dealer hooking up the car and tweaking a couple of settings. They may also reset the transmission adaptive value data.

blueeagle65 your car may benefit from having tranny reset, although the transmission does adapt and learn your driving style, so it may improve on its own. I found after the 600 mile break in, when I quit babying the car, it started to shift more to my liking.

Years ago some of these symptons would have been considered normal, on some, but not all cars. The rough idle would have been a compromise from having the idle too high when the AC was off.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well when i first picked up the car the shuddering was much worse, the more miles i seem to drive the less it does it. Also it never does it when the ac is off. I will bring it up at my first service if it doesnt stop doing it by then. My last acura had a little bit of sluggish acceleration with the ac running and that car had a much larger engine, so i just wasnt sure if anyone else has this happen. Thanks for the input everyone! =]

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just had my initial service and explained the low speed problems to the Kia service writer and he suggested taling the Over Drive OFF for low speed trips. Apparently it trys to kick in even at low speed and could produce the symptoms I described. Well, lo and behold - that works! So I turn it off when starting my low speed trips and click it back on at highway speeds.

·
Registered
690 Posts
2.0 on my Soul is not the smoothest engine and somewhat "shakey" first 2k miles when in idle, but engine has gotten smoother at 3k and more so after engine oil change and with 4k on ODO.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I broke in my soul properly by the book, very irritating but necessary. It is so quiet and smooth it's very difficult to tell if it's running or not at idle. I don't think any V8 I've had was smoother.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I broke in my soul properly by the book, very irritating but necessary. It is so quiet and smooth it's very difficult to tell if it's running or not at idle. I don't think any V8 I've had was smoother.
I feel bad that I didn't do more of this, but like you, at 6000+ miles in a little over a month, my car still can't be heard idling, even with ac on at a nominal level. Even with standing near the exhaust, I can barely hear it unless there's no ambient noise (like a parking lot at night.)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts