Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the dealer this past weekend for an oil change and the service guy said there is a KIA service required for the 2014 Soul that apparently replaces the entire software for the car. It was going to take an extra hour to do this, so I passed on it.

Anyone know what this is about? The real reason I passed on it is because he said it just came to them and I didn't feel like being the guinea pig for this.

·
Super Moderator
9,512 Posts
Don't know what radio you have but Kia is due to release an update to the cripple version of Android UVO for the Nav packages. Mine has the MS UVO but I have not heard of an update to that yet. If you have the basic radio, not sure what that is all about. What radio do you have?

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
For the ECC, not the radio.
It's the software (Program) that runs the car, engine, Transmission, safety system, etc.

The engineers could have possibly gone through hundreds of Software changes before the first 2014 ever rolled off of the assembly line.

Now they may have figured out that it needs a little Tweaking. Nothing new in the automotive industry.

:cool:

·
Registered
58 Posts
When I went to the dealer for the first oil change, the service rep said that there was a "software update" which would be done. It did not seem to take any more time then the normal oil change would take. This was on March 6. Think this was it?

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
When I went to the dealer for the first oil change, the service rep said that there was a "software update" which would be done. It did not seem to take any more time then the normal oil change would take. This was on March 6. Think this was it?
Did you buy your car from Team Gunther or Dean Mccrary ? I live in Mobile , bought mine from Deans . Have to get mine in for it's first oil change this week , I'm going to check on this as well .

·
Registered
2013 Kia Soul +, 2018 Soul 1 Million Edition
770 Posts
@OP
Did you not ask specifically what it was for? I think asking what a software upgrade is for would be the first step.:ridiculed:

·
Registered
48 Posts
It's probably this, from March 2014:

SERVICE ACTION: BCM UPGRADE - IPM LOGIC IMPROVEMENT (SA164)
This bulletin provides information related to the reprogramming of the Body Control Module (BCM) on some 2014MY Soul (PS) vehicles, produced from August 26, 2013 to December 13, 2013, which may exhibit a condition related to intermittent operation of the welcome function on the headlights. To prevent and/or correct this condition, the BCM should be reprogrammed using the GDS download, as described in this bulletin. Kia is requesting the completion of this Service Action on all affected vehicles, including dealer stock, prior to delivery. For confirmation that the latest reflash has been done to a vehicle you are working on, verify ROM ID using the tables in this TSB.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's probably this, from March 2014:

SERVICE ACTION: BCM UPGRADE - IPM LOGIC IMPROVEMENT (SA164)
This bulletin provides information related to the reprogramming of the Body Control Module (BCM) on some 2014MY Soul (PS) vehicles, produced from August 26, 2013 to December 13, 2013, which may exhibit a condition related to intermittent operation of the welcome function on the headlights. To prevent and/or correct this condition, the BCM should be reprogrammed using the GDS download, as described in this bulletin. Kia is requesting the completion of this Service Action on all affected vehicles, including dealer stock, prior to delivery. For confirmation that the latest reflash has been done to a vehicle you are working on, verify ROM ID using the tables in this TSB.
Yes, this is the update the service guy spoke of. I couldn't recall it when I made the post, but he did say it was the Body Control Module. He didn't seem to know what that entailed though. So, based on this, it is just to fix a headlight issue?

·
Super Moderator
9,512 Posts
What is the ps designation ?
Can't imagine this relates to soul +

Thanks
Greg
Kia uses a two letter designation for a car generation. The 2010-2013 Soul has a designation of "AM", the 2014 to ???? uses "PS". It includes all models for the years applicable.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was just in our local Kia dealership getting the pinion plug replacement recall taken care of and the service manager said I also needed the "bcm upgrade". When my car was done, he told me I'd have to re-pair my phone and re-program my radio pre-sets because of this upgrade. But when I got in my car, I didn't have to do either of these things. Truth be told, I don't trust this particular dealership, so I wonder if they really performed this upgrade. Is there any definitive way to test the BCM upgrade?

·
Registered
448 Posts
So my 2014 Plus that I bought a month ago probably already had this upgrade done, right? How do I find out- is there a VIN checking place for this particualr upgrade to see if it was done on your car?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Did you check when it was built to see if it even comes under the TSB and thus if it ever even needed it?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Did you check when it was built to see if it even comes under the TSB and thus if it ever even needed it?
Forgive my ignorance, but....what is a TSB and where do I find it please?
I do know that my Soul was built after they corrected that steering part recall, and thus did not need to be recalled for that issue. But this software update?- how can I figure it out whether I need it updated? Thanks.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts