Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul LX
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stopped by the Kia dealer today and ended up checking out the Seltos and Sportage. Unfortunately, everything was sold out.
I find the Soul to be spirited. In high winds it seems to be a little twitchy. You definitely have to drive it.
Has anybody driven both? I'd like to know how they compare. My wife gets a little anxious on the freeway with substantial cross winds. Also, she likes the AWD.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
8,744 Posts
There is a Seltos forum you could ask owners about their experiences
Kia Seltos Forum

·
Registered
161 Posts
Stopped by the Kia dealer today and ended up checking out the Seltos and Sportage. Unfortunately, everything was sold out.
I find the Soul to be spirited. In high winds it seems to be a little twitchy. You definitely have to drive it.
Has anybody driven both? I'd like to know how they compare. My wife gets a little anxious on the freeway with substantial cross winds. Also, she likes the AWD.
Whatever your wife wants your wife gets. I had four wheel drive vehicles for forty years and now drive a Kia Soul with snow tires in Northern Michigan with no problems. But I’m not your wife and my name is not Lola.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I'm planning to rent a Kia Soul prior to ordering. Budget has them for $70 for a full day, going to see if there are cheaper options. Even though the '23s are refreshed, the rentals should be mechanically more or less the same. Those 15 min test drives just don't cut it.

·
Registered
8,744 Posts
I'm planning to rent a Kia Soul prior to ordering. Budget has them for $70 for a full day, going to see if there are cheaper options. Even though the '23s are refreshed, the rentals should be mechanically more or less the same. Those 15 min test drives just don't cut it.
Especially when there's a salesperson riding shotgun babbling on about nothing. Most of us here know way more about the Soul than they ever will.

·
Registered
190 Posts
They always stated never buy a new car made in the first year it was produced!
They did give it a "best" predicted reliability guess though, I remember reading that. That was based on the previous gen Soul being very reliable, so they assumed the new one would and didn't anticipate some of the teething issues apparently.

That said, '21 already shows an improvement, and there really are no mechanical changes for '23. Not sure what's up with the climate system getting so many failure reports on their survey. Hmmm... in all my reading, I haven't heard complaints about that.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I, for one, cannot complain about my 2020. 15100+ miles, two winters and summers absolutely no problems every thing has been working as advertised. I also have not heard anything about the heating/cooling system.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul LX
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have a tinch over 30 k miles on my 2020, and the problems that I had were corrected (my time, their dime). They lent me a Niro when they kept it over the weekend. After the teething problem, I've had no issues. We are considering switching to a Seltos and I was wondering about the Seltos handling? I'll head on over to the Seltos forum to consider their opinion.

·
Registered
8,744 Posts
I bought the first year of Gen 2, 2014, and have had zero problems. But in all fairness, there is ALOT of the 2013 (except the shell and cosmetics) in the 2014.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
l think the initial problems with the new CVT (IVT) and the piston ring recall is what hurt the 2020 Soul CR ratings. Not sure what they’re talking about for the climate control issues though.

Reactions: GeoSoul

·
Registered
2021 LX IVT
143 Posts
An inspired plan! It was through a rental experience that I got over some of my resistance to the Soul, a few years back. Not that you haven't thought of this, but: I try to do all the driving things I normally do, for which I'm aware of how my current (at whatever time) car is to compare with the options. The last time I did a test drive I insisted on 3 hours, and was able to do all that stuff.
The rental should be mechanically the same (either an LX with "Tech Package" or S I would imagine. There are some substantial (as you may also know) aesthetic (and a little ergonomic) differences, with some changes on the steering wheel and dashboard. I'm so glad to have the 22, as the 8inch infotainment screen (only available on LX now) has wireless Android Auto/Apple Car Play, not on the 10inch screens...oddly. It works a lot better by a few measures in the case of Android. Also the '23 has no analog meters on the dash, and not even a programmable digital like on other Kia's. They will add that in a year or two surely.
If you are looking for an "S" but like the idea of wireless phone connection and analog meters, a '22 certified pre-owned can be a nice option, or a left-over somewhere. My local dealership still has a few '22's.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts