Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well... at least considering it.

I love the little blue Hamster Wagon, but we have had an "unexpected" change in our family structure and it's just not gonna be enough car anymore.

2011, Denim Plus, M/T w/ OEM-style power sunroof and Sport spoiler.

Aftermarket 35% tint on front windows w/ lifetime warranty.

OEM splash guards and H-Rated Hankook Optimo's. (Not the crappy Nexen's.)

Signed the papers August 23. Brought it home the first week of September.

Sticker was $16,400 + Roof & Spoiler = $17,800.

4982 miles.

Two oil changes, one at 1500 miles, one at 4500. Both with OEM filters and Valvoline 5w20.

More details to follow, but a quick search of my user name should turn up some pics.

$16,000 OBRO

Make me a cash money offer and we can talk... I know what my payoff / buyout is.

PM or E-Mail is best.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
CARMAX here in Richmond has a 2011 Denim + M/T with 22K miles, no sunroof, spoiler, splashguards or tint listed for $15,998 as their "Featured Car of the Week". From the pics it looks like it needs tires too.

You could buy mine for LESS than that!

-cmc-

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK... The wife found another 2011 Denim + on Craigslist with 13K miles for $15,900.

It's going to Carmax this weekend for them to look at it.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Since you are going to try and wholesale your Soul to Carmax, I'm guessing they will offer you about $3k under what they are trying to retail them for. Can you let us know if that's the margin they try to work with? Sometimes they try and mark them up 30% which would bring their offer down even lower. It sucks but that's the way it works.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Since you are going to try and wholesale your Soul to Carmax, I'm guessing they will offer you about $3k under what they are trying to retail them for. Can you let us know if that's the margin they try to work with? Sometimes they try and mark them up 30% which would bring their offer down even lower. It sucks but that's the way it works.
Will do.

If I get some stuff done around the house this morning I may head over there this afternoon.

Not exactly looking to wholesale it to them though... prolly buying a 2009 Outlook or a 2009 Acadia from them at the same time...

(That being said this thread is NOT going to turn in to a debate on what is the right car to buy. Got it everyone?)

·
Banned
1,576 Posts
(That being said this thread is NOT going to turn in to a debate on what is the right car to buy. Got it everyone?)
unfortunately that is something beyond anyone's control - rocks rolling downhill tend to choose their own paths - BUT - posting the prohibition might just push that first rock over the edge -

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK... here is the skinny...

Carmax lowballed me as expected.

Offered me $12K.

When I pointed out the one they had on their lot for $15,995 that had 4x the mileage, no sunroof, no spoiler, no tint, no splash guards and barely state inspectable tires I was told that the car "buying" prices and the car "selling" prices are set by different people.

And that things like the sunroof and spoiler are not treated as "value added" options since not everyone will want them.

Said appraisal prices are determined by what that car would cost them at auction.

There is an independent dealer nearby that claims to beat any CarMax appraisal and tends to specialize in higher end, late model vehicles.

I am going to swing by there on Monday.

-cmc-

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
OK... here is the skinny...

Carmax lowballed me as expected.

Offered me $12K.

When I pointed out the one they had on their lot for $15,995 that had 4x the mileage, no sunroof, no spoiler, no tint, no splash guards and barely state inspectable tires I was told that the car "buying" prices and the car "selling" prices are set by different people.

And that things like the sunroof and spoiler are not treated as "value added" options since not everyone will want them.

Said appraisal prices are determined by what that car would cost them at auction.

There is an independent dealer nearby that claims to beat any CarMax appraisal and tends to specialize in higher end, late model vehicles.

I am going to swing by there on Monday.

-cmc-
Yes and then they explain that the $15,995 is only the 'asking' price and that they have to spend hundreds to get it ready to sell, etc. The auction thing is definitely true too. They won't give you more, in case they have to dump it at an auction down the line, if it doesn't turn as fast as they want it to.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes and then they explain that the $15,995 is only the 'asking' price and that they have to spend hundreds to get it ready to sell, etc. The auction thing is definitely true too. They won't give you more, in case they have to dump it at an auction down the line, if it doesn't turn as fast as they want it to.
Mostly true.

Carmax is pretty adamant that they do not budge on their "No Haggle" pricing.

I challeneged them on one of the cars that I am looking at... they had a 2009 Outlook listed as AWD for $20,599... when I determined by running the VIN on my own that it was NOT the AWD version and I expected a price concession for that the sales rep told me he can't move on the price... but does have two other AWD's on the lot at "similar" prices.

So the $15,995 is what they expect to get for the SOUL.

I know the line about "how much it costs to get it ready to sell... blah blah blah". :rolleyes:

And think it is a load of crap.

Just to see what happened, I emailed the KIA dealer I bought it from and got a surprisingly positive response.

And after checking their website, they have five pre-owned 2011 Plus's on the lot, all without sunroofs or spoilers, all with automatrics and all with 20k+ miles.

All listed for $15-16K.

If anyone here is interested, honestly, I'll let it go for $13,800.

-cmc-

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got email today from GM of dealer that I bought it from...

Offered me $13,000 cash for it and they handle all the paperwork.

Have an appt with a competeing KIA dealer on Friday morning who told me on the phone that he wants it.

Will see if he'll do better...

-cmc-

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Good luck with it! I hope you get as much as you can and it's close to what you were hoping for! Was there a reason you didn't put it on CL and try selling it yourself, or are you doing that too? Even if you haven't, you could put it on there and explain what the dealer is going to give you and ask buyers to hurry and beat their price and in effect buy it from you for wholesale!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good luck with it! I hope you get as much as you can and it's close to what you were hoping for! Was there a reason you didn't put it on CL and try selling it yourself, or are you doing that too? Even if you haven't, you could put it on there and explain what the dealer is going to give you and ask buyers to hurry and beat their price and in effect buy it from you for wholesale!
My payoff is $13,875

If the other dealer gives me $13,500 I am happy.

I could try to sell it privately, but don't want to deal with the hassle of getting the money, not being able to give them the car until I paid Hyundai Finance, etc, etc, etc...

I have sold A LOT of cars over the years, but never one that I did not have the title to in my desk drawer.

We shall see...

-cmc-

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, the little blue Hamster Wagon went back to it's original home yesterday afternoon.

Returned to Pearson KIA inRichmond, VA with 5,317 miles on it.

Gave me $13,500. Buyout was $13,899.

My guess is that it will be washed, a coupla decals peeled off the back window and the chip in the windshield repaired and on the lot for $15,995 within the week.

Heck, they had a Stock # sticker on it BEFORE my wife even got there to pick me up.

-cmc-

1 - 13 of 13 Posts