Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’ve got a 2014 Kia Soul, the oil light started randomly flickering but I hardly caught it. A few days later, the check engine light is now on. It’s also a bit shaky when accelerating. Anyone know what exactly may be causing this? Trying to do the repairs on my own to save money.

·
Registered
160 Posts
So I’ve got a 2014 Kia Soul, the oil light started randomly flickering but I hardly caught it. A few days later, the check engine light is now on. It’s also a bit shaky when accelerating. Anyone know what exactly may be causing this? Trying to do the repairs on my own to save money.
I would check the oil level IMMEDIATELY. It is probably low.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,307 Posts
Even if the bright sun briefly shines on the Check Oil light, I immediately check the oil. Don't mess with running low on oil in these modern engines.

Think of it as a human running low on blood. It's not going to end well. Check, monitor, check again. Rinse & repeat.

·
Registered
816 Posts
If filling the oil does not make the light go off, and I don't see whay it would, get an OBD / On Board Diagnostic code reader to check the error code(s). Last I looked they were pretty cheap at Harbor Fright.

·
Registered
2014 Soul+ Bright Silver (Sterling Soul)
784 Posts
get an OBD / On Board Diagnostic code reader to check the error code(s). Last I looked they were pretty cheap at Harbor Fright.
Here is a best seller and best rated ODB scanner on Amazon as another option. I own this scanner and it works flawlessly. The OP may want to take a look if interested in buying an ODB scanner.

Reactions: Amy1997 and GeoSoul

·
Registered
643 Posts
Even if the bright sun briefly shines on the Check Oil light, I immediately check the oil. Don't mess with running low on oil in these modern engines.

Think of it as a human running low on blood. It's not going to end well. Check, monitor, check again. Rinse & repeat.
It's threads like this one that send me running to the garage to check my oil.

·
Registered
2020 GT-Line Turbo Cherry Black
72 Posts
Funny I did the same thing
🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

Reactions: GeoSoul

·
Registered
7,307 Posts
Doesn't the Check Oil light come on when you're down 1qt?

That's like a 25% reduction.

Isn't that how a chef reduces clear broth down to gravy?

Please don't turn your clean, clear, viscous oil into thick gravy. Keep it full :)

Reactions: Kerig3

·
Registered
649 Posts
Doesn't the Check Oil light come on when you're down 1qt?
You mean when you are down to the last Qt...
If the level is low that the pump can't suck any, it's very low. Saw it on one car when the light was coming up on high speed cornering because low oil would shift on one side.

·
Registered
7,307 Posts
You mean when you are down to the last Qt...
If the level is low that the pump can't suck any, it's very low. Saw it on one car when the light was coming up on high speed cornering because oil would shift on one side.
My dad used to say that IF the check engine oil light comes on, it's like the supplemental oxygen mask dropping in the airplane. It's time to put your tray table up & seat in the upright position. Then pray for the best outcome :)

Reactions: SoNic67 and Kerig3

·
Registered
261 Posts
o_OYou need to turn the page for that repair!:censored:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here is a best seller and best rated ODB scanner on Amazon as another option. I own this scanner and it works flawlessly. The OP may want to take a look if interested in buying an ODB scanner.

Thank you !!

·
Registered
816 Posts
I could not find the info in the owners manual. The OBD reader connection is by the fuse box by the drivers left knee. Remove by hand the little cover which conveniently says Fuses OBD. Or was it OBD fuses?

·
Registered
908 Posts
If oil is at the full mark, then there is an oil pump issue or the oil pressure sensor/circuit is an issue.

Note: Although some vehicles have oil and coolant level sensors, generally the oil light indicates low pressure, not volume. Although, low volume could lower pressure if the pump sucks air.

Minimum pressure is only 7.1 PSI...scary!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts