Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had my summer tires put on and a new tow hitch. While I was there I went ahead and had the oil changed; a little early at 4500k. They had the "new kid" do it and he used 10w30 conventional. Should I change it back to synthetic or ride with this for 3k miles? The owner of the shop gave me free labor on everything for the mix-up and assured me it would be fine. But we all know how sensitive our GDI engines are. 2019 2.0l with just over 30k miles. I have been using synthetic 10w30 in summer and 5w20 in winter.

Reactions: MonsterSoul

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Most conventional oil is a synthetic blend these days anyway so you should be fine, just keep it to a shorter oil change and keep an eye on the level.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I was thinking. Never went conv to synth and back. I feel better now thanks :)

Reactions: rhysoul

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
8,460 Posts
That's what I was thinking. Never went conv to synth and back. I feel better now thanks :)
It's ok to switch between synthetic and non synthetic without damaging your engine (it's not like putting diesel in your gas tank by accident).

You can also switch between weights and brands. If you're concerned about keeping the engine as clean as possible, consider looking for full synthetic with a GF-6 and API: SP rating. They include the latest additives for modern, GDI & turbo engines.

You're ahead of the game just by keeping good, clean oil running in that engine & checking the level regularly.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Never had to add oil between changes. Only changed it early to be done with it, since I was getting other work done at the time. The actual mileage is 29657 but I round up. Every oil change has been near 5k. This makes the sixth change but the first time conventional was used. GF-6 and API: SP rating is a nice detail and I will definitely check that from now on. Thanks, GeoSoul for the tip and everyone else for chiming in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts