Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am looking at cars for one of my kids and found a 2015 Soul+ (2.0L DOHC GDI Nu engine) in good shape. It has approx. 110K miles and the dealer is asking $10K. I've read about the various engine problems that these cars can have. This one has two open recalls: the 12/2020 engine compartment fire recall (20V750) and a pinion plug recall from 2017 (17V608).

My question is, what is likely to happen if I take this vehicle to a Kia dealer to ask about the recall? Will they do the test if I don't own the car? If they do the diagnostics, how likely is it that they will need to replace the engine? The used car dealer who is selling it doesn't seem to be a fan of non-European cars, so seems eager to get this one off his lot, and it seems to me that a Soul with a new engine at whatever price I can negotiate could be a nice deal. Am I thinking right about it? What if it passes the diagnostic? What are the car's prospects with this engine at this mileage? Are there other problems I should be looking for?

Thanks!!

· Registered
2,171 Posts
Probably does not need an engine, but should have the recall work done. Hello, used car dealer! :rolleyes:

Kia dealer can do the recall, but I doubt they will inspect the whole car for you, not for free anyway.
I could be wrong on that. I think I would walk away if the current seller can't even do the recalls that cost them nothing.

· Registered
1,938 Posts
The first thing I’d do is look down the oil fill hole to see if it’s clean or all sludgy. The recalls should be done at a Kia dealer as soon as possible. The 20V750 actually extends the engine warranty to 15 years 150k miles for new and used owners. But don’t expect them to just replace the engine for any old reason. If the car was poorly maintained (lack of oil changes mainly) in the past, they might deny it.

You should have a shop to do a pre purchase inspection before you buy it, the Kia dealer might be able to do that, but any trusted independent shop is fine. If the used car dealer says no to that, walk away.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Probably does not need an engine, but should have the recall work done. Hello, used car dealer! :rolleyes:

Kia dealer can do the recall, but I doubt they will inspect the whole car for you, not for free anyway.
I could be wrong on that. I think I would walk away if the current seller can't even do the recalls that cost them nothing.
Thanks!! I appreciate your reply.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The first thing I’d do is look down the oil fill hole to see if it’s clean or all sludgy. The recalls should be done at a Kia dealer as soon as possible. The 20V750 actually extends the engine warranty to 15 years 150k miles for new and used owners. But don’t expect them to just replace the engine for any old reason. If the car was poorly maintained (lack of oil changes mainly) in the past, they might deny it.

You should have a shop to do a pre purchase inspection before you buy it, the Kia dealer might be able to do that, but any trusted independent shop is fine. If the used car dealer says no to that, walk away.
Thanks! This is really helpful. This is definitely a car to get checked out by someone who knows what their doing before moving ahead.

· Registered
452 Posts
It's all about cost and time. If you're comfortable saving money with the possibility of spending more on a new parts the day you get it and the time for the recalls, do it. I'd get the VIN and see if Kia will honor the warranty.

· Registered
2 Posts
Hello,

I am looking at cars for one of my kids and found a 2015 Soul+ (2.0L DOHC GDI Nu engine) in good shape. It has approx. 110K miles and the dealer is asking $10K. I've read about the various engine problems that these cars can have. This one has two open recalls: the 12/2020 engine compartment fire recall (20V750) and a pinion plug recall from 2017 (17V608).

My question is, what is likely to happen if I take this vehicle to a Kia dealer to ask about the recall? Will they do the test if I don't own the car? If they do the diagnostics, how likely is it that they will need to replace the engine? The used car dealer who is selling it doesn't seem to be a fan of non-European cars, so seems eager to get this one off his lot, and it seems to me that a Soul with a new engine at whatever price I can negotiate could be a nice deal. Am I thinking right about it? What if it passes the diagnostic? What are the car's prospects with this engine at this mileage? Are there other problems I should be looking for?

Thanks!!
I have a 2015 KIA Soul that I still owe 3500.00 and the car burns oil and the dealer told me I need one or both catalytic converters replaced for 4500 and it still would burn a quart of oil a week. I would say stay clear of 2015 KIA Souls

1 - 8 of 8 Posts