Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

SD-LA trip in soul? no problem. (Long distance travel notes and such)

3K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  WILLWILL 
#1 ·
Just got back from Los Angeles in my new Soul + (shadow w/audio package auto) with 3 adult passengers

After a total trip distance of 320 miles, here's what I gathered:

1. ONLY ONE FULL TANK USED! freaking awesome.

2. Didnt have a problem with engine at all, i averaged around 75+ mph both ways to no problem. RPM was steady near 3000 the entire trip.

3. only once did the engine hit over 4000, and that was when i had to near-floor it to escape an 18 wheeler trying to eat me. and still, only hit 5~6000.

4. backseats folding down flat is the best solution to not pay for a hotel room.

5. on accessories: on-door cup holders are awesome, these little details really set the car apart. SIX cup holders!

but the car was not without a few minor complaints:

1. when i run an mp3 cd, is there a way for me to get it to shuffle through the entire cd? i hate how it only picks "random" songs from each folder.

2. satellite radio sucks.

3. my sunglasses dont fit in the compartment :p oh well, now it holds gum and my parking pass.

in short, EVERYONE in the car loved it. all complaints are minor. soul for the win:D

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Ummmm.....six cupholders?

I only see ONE good one.....four "water bottle holders" in each door, and one USELESS one behind the good one (if you have the console with storage)

This lack of cupholders is really my ONLY gripe....after 17,000 miles now.

Yes.....Soul appears to be BORN to do trips. I've done now "countless" trips to LA from San Diego...and a few beyond. One trip up to Bridgeport with FOUR in the car....not a single complaint, except again with the cupholers.

#4 ·
ah thats where youre wrong aibo. the big one is awesome for my huge thing of gatorade or my workout water bottles. my biggest gripe has always been that the cupholders dont fit my drinks. but now they do!

and plus cups without solid tops shouldnt be dirtying up your soul anywaay;]

#5 ·
so about 32 mpg for 320 miles? pretty dang good. when saff picked hers up at kia depot in santa ana, we drove back to san jose and we averaged 32 mpg even going over the grapevine. As far as the cupholders, no complaints. the two center ones held our starbucks vente's just fine. we use stainless water juggs, so, placing them in the door wells would mar the doors. we let them roll around on the floor underneath the seats.
I do agree, the soul travels nicely on long trips. about the SAT, waste of money. Saff streams her radio station (http://entranced.fm) on her blackberry. she loves her soul. she calls her Else (elsee).

#8 · (Edited)
Yeah KDR....Mileage is affected by "habits". I have seen days where Kiwi says I got 16 or so MPG. LOTS of sitting around in traffic, playing aroud in D2 around Morely Field and around Balboa Park. Sitting there idling while working on the subwoofer box or some other dumb thing.

A "typical" work day where I scoot through Normal heights, North Park, Hillcrest to get my coffee at 7-11 at 4:30am....on to work via 163 to Kearny Mesa doing around 70mph,and then the crap drive back to Normal heights after work in the slow I-15 corridor......about 22mpg.

I can "hypermile" around 25mpg if I'm paying attention to acceleration ALL day. Trips to LA from here in SD are usually around 28mpg altogether. I got 31mpg during the "almost all freeway" to Bridgeport/Bodie

You'd be surprised how much you see in your mileage when you have a device connected to OBDII. This allows you to see that climbing out of Mission Valley up Texas Sreet, you are getting about 6mpg at best, and this is pretty typical. Only my little 2001 Sportage does JUST a little better with it's 5-speed.

The little 2007 Honda Fit automatic is actually almost spot-on with the mileage the little Soul Sport auto gets. Fit will get up to around 40mpg if you are REALLY annoying and start driving it like a Prius owner. I have "dogged" the Honda around the Qualcomm parking lot and pushing it around with the paddle shifters and even seen THAT car get less than 15mpg when the day is done....so habits and "luck" with traffic conditions do make a difference.

WillWill....We got the pandas :p

And do remember that soul's tank is only 12.5 gallons or something....so driving from here to LA....all around THERE for a bit.....and then all the way back to SD is somewhat impressive when you consider that a "tank" is a realistic TEN gallons unless you are in the habit of waiting around for the fuel warning light.

#9 ·
Super large cupholder?

I'm thinking that you are referring to the big round hole in the top dash where the speaker would be in other models if you had it - and not the two in the centre console behind the gear shift/lever.

I use my 'top dash' hole for my Sat Nav weighted base, so no sticky round marks on the windscreen to tell naughty thieves I use a Sat Nava nd one might be in my glove compartment, and I use the two centre console ones for general junk - as if you eat or drink and drive here in the UK - some Police forces stop you and charge you with careless driving.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.