Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now everyone in the world knows why whenever I go to grocery stores, shopping centers, etc, I park literally a mile away. I hate careless people!

So these scratches have been on my poor baby for a few weeks now due to people brushing up against my car, having sharp objects on their purses, and I even have two small impressions on the long plastic bar on the lower side of the vehicle from people OPENING THEIR CAR DOORS AND NOT PAYING ATTENTION. I can definitely feel the pain on my heart whenever I see these hideous marks! Only the Soulsters can understand the pain! :mask:

So I have a question for all of you awesome Soulsters and that is how in the hell can I get these white marks off my black beauty!? I've heard about the "Kia Paint Pen" before. Is it a good investment? What would happen if I took it to a dealer requesting it be removed? Or is it simply something I can do at home?

Honestly, the pictures don't even do them justice. It is worse in reality & noticeable than on screen and I'm definitely not an exaggerator!
IMAG1375.jpg
This scratch is on the rear passenger door.

IMAG1379.jpg
THIS one is the worst & most noticeable of 'em all. I have no idea how this happened. This deep scratch is on the rear of the vehicle located a few inches below the "SOUL" logo on the trunk.

IMAG1378.jpg
This weird scratch is on the same exact area and had almost the same design as the one on the rear passenger door, except this one is on the rear drivers door.

*I'm going to say it like how they did on that "Pimp My Ride" MTV show*

"SO PLEASE SOULSTERS, HELP MY RIDE!" :sneakiness:

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
There may be a DIY solution but a detailer may be able to buff those out in seconds. I was going to get one of those Kia paint pens just in case but last time I looked I didn't see them for the 2014s yet.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Yep is clear cote scratches. A clear cote touch up will fill the 'ditch' some idiot left you. This is one good thing about using a handicap placard. I have more room in my parking spaces. The 08 Toyota went 6 years with no scratches at all. Lots of places on line can show you how to make them disappear. Meguires, Chemicalguys.com, autotopia forums, lots of easy instructions and products to clear that out like it never happened.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Looks like shopping cart rash. Do you go to a Car-Wash or hand-wash...? OR... Does your car sit out on the street at night for the little local Hoolum's...?

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I don't know how many extra miles I have walked since I got my Soul. I ALWAYS park way out in the back of parking lots away from all other cars. Best places to park are parallel parking along the street curb because then no one will be able to park next to you. As a result, along with my blow drying technique when washing my car, my paint is in mint condition.

I can't tell you how many times I have seen people just swing open their doors as they haul their fat asses out of their cars with no regards as to what damage they are doing to the car next to them that their door is up against.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I was coming out from the supermarket once and saw some little girl swing her door open right into my car - HARD. The little boy was like "Crystal!!!" and then they saw me and I loudly expressed myself with a huge "Ugggghh". The father apologized up and down. Luckily it buffed right out... it was a lease and I would park in regular spots and go through automatic car washes with brushes. Not with the Soul! I park far away, and no more car washes with brushes.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nooooo, no, no.... I've never taken my baby through those horrid car washes. Those brushes have so much dirt and hard wear that would scratch the paint that it's crazy. I saw one woman pulling out of one in her 2013-2014 Ford Fusion Titanium and my heart just went out to that poor car, haha. She pulled out of the parking lot, scraping the side of the curb with her tire and the front end of her car made a loud scrape because it came in contact with the road whenever she gunned it pulling out.. So I'm sure if you ran a wire grinder or maybe a bulldozer over her car, she wouldn't care. LOL! I have the cleaning mentality of my Soul being a Ferrari, literally. My family and friends think it's ridiculous that I treat my "$16,000 Kia" like its the end of the world. They just don't understand the Soul life. You know how Jeep drivers always say, "It's a Jeep thing you wouldn't understand." Well guess what? "IT'S A SOUL THING YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND!"

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't know how many extra miles I have walked since I got my Soul. I ALWAYS park way out in the back of parking lots away from all other cars. Best places to park are parallel parking along the street curb because then no one will be able to park next to you. As a result, along with my blow drying technique when washing my car, my paint is in mint condition.

I can't tell you how many times I have seen people just swing open their doors as they haul their fat asses out of their cars with no regards as to what damage they are doing to the car next to them that their door is up against.
Same here! Haha! If you don't like the fact that you have to walk an extra .1 mile from the grocery store entrance with me because I want to protect my car from dings and scratches, then don't even think about coming with me!

By the way, teach me that blow drying technique you were speaking of! I'd like to know about it! What, do you take a hair dryer and blow the water off? (jokes) :playful:

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,070 Posts
Leaf blower.....been doing it for years! :)

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Same here! Haha! If you don't like the fact that you have to walk an extra .1 mile from the grocery store entrance with me because I want to protect my car from dings and scratches, then don't even think about coming with me!

By the way, teach me that blow drying technique you were speaking of! I'd like to know about it! What, do you take a hair dryer and blow the water off? (jokes) :playful:
http://www.kiasoulforums.com/29-how-diy/11749-proper-way-wash-your-car-post147276.html#post147276

First post in that thread has links to some videos from a professional auto detailer who goes by the name of Junkman. He explains the proper method to washing a car. This guy is the real deal, details cars like Lamborghinis and Ferraris.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I don't just wash my Gertrude..... She gets a very up close and personal "Soap & Water Massage".
I give her special attention to every little speck. When I'm done, she's Specless.

I too prefer the Blue parking spaces, because they are much bigger.

If WE don't take care of our cars..... who will?

:cool:

·
Premium Member
4,959 Posts
Best places to park are parallel parking along the street curb because then no one will be able to park next to you.
Yeah, but that only protects the sides. I just discovered a long, quarter inch or so wide scrape on the left hand bumper corner of the rear of our car. Some idiot who obviously doesn't know how long their car's nose is must have kissed it when pulling out of the space behind us.

When we first got the Soul I used to infuriate my wife by parking waaaaaaaaaaaay away from other cars in open lots. I've given up now. We live in an apartment and we're not allowed to wash cars on the premises. The nearest I can get to a hand wash is either to pay around $20 for an actual hand-wash about 10 mins from home or at the coin-op DIY place that's twice as far away. We washed it there the second day we owned it and the hood got scratched by grit stuck to ice on a hose (it was March)............so you can't win.

So it's had multiple automatic washes in the last 3 years plus and yes, there's swirls to be seen. It also has multiple road-rash including a sand-blasted windshield that shows when the sun is at a certain angle. There's little chips and scratches on the sides from thrown gravel and crap off other passing vehicles. I hate every mark and imperfection, but rationalize them as badges of honour. If you use your car it will get marked. If you stress about every mark you'll go nuts.

Drive it, wash it, wax it, love it. It's good for the soul. Keeping the Soul pristine in cotton-wool and not using it will not ultimately be as satisfying.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
I feel your pain! I haven't even had my baby a full two weeks yet and my partner wanted me to take his picture in front of Marvin. I thought he was just going to stand in front of it when to my horror he puts his hands on the hood and starts pulling himself up. I tried to stop him but it was too late. The pressure from his palm left a nice 4inch depression in my hood. I have an appointment Saturday to get it fixed. I was literally sick to my stomach when it happened.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Back in the day, I had this 1988 Ford F150 with a cool custom paint job. When it was just over 2yrs old, I was at a street dance and was walking back to my truck to get more beer out of the cooler. I walk up to it and one of my friends is up laying on the hood talking with this chic. Needless to say, I got kinda pissed off about.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
9,512 Posts
It was not a new car, nor was it "special" in the automotive world but it was the only car I could afford for the family. It was a used one year old 1972 Nova that I kept in really clean and bright condition. We lived in some apartments and one day I drove my old bucket of bolts home and my younger daughter was on the hood of the Nova. I freaked out and make her get off the car, boy was I pissed. You see, my younger daughter wore leg braces to walk. The front of the car was a mess from then on.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I just read your post, and I just wanted you to know that while I don't have any advice, per se, I wanted you to know that I totally relate to how you feel about the scratches. I have only had my Soul (2014 white Exclaim) for two weeks, and I'm so paranoid about where I park and what scratches, if any, will be on it when I come out of the store that I am a nervous wreck (I don't even enjoy shopping anymore because I'm wondering what's going on outside the whole time I'm in there). It shouldn't be that way (and I know that); and I know that a car is a piece of metal and I shouldn't let fear of it being scratched or dinged make a nervous wreck out of me. But, I can't seem to be able to stop it. It looks so nice now that I just want it to remain that way. People are so discourteous and have no respect for other people's property. You're not alone in wanting to keep your Soul scratchless. I'm glad to hear that I'm not alone. Anything that you learn (about either how to keep it protected or how to remove the scratches) that you can share with me would be truly appreciated. Cindie.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I just read your post, and I just wanted you to know that while I don't have any advice, per se, I wanted you to know that I totally relate to how you feel about the scratches. I have only had my Soul (2014 white Exclaim) for two weeks, and I'm so paranoid about where I park and what scratches, if any, will be on it when I come out of the store that I am a nervous wreck (I don't even enjoy shopping anymore because I'm wondering what's going on outside the whole time I'm in there). It shouldn't be that way (and I know that); and I know that a car is a piece of metal and I shouldn't let fear of it being scratched or dinged make a nervous wreck out of me. But, I can't seem to be able to stop it. It looks so nice now that I just want it to remain that way. People are so discourteous and have no respect for other people's property. You're not alone in wanting to keep your Soul scratchless. I'm glad to hear that I'm not alone. Anything that you learn (about either how to keep it protected or how to remove the scratches) that you can share with me would be truly appreciated. Cindie.
Off topic: Do you have any pictures of your ride on the forum? If not, please post some! Not many pics of white exclaims online!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts